Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hair loss
franr posted:
Good Morning

I was wondring is anyone experiencing hair loss. I am not sure if the medications have side effects that cause hair loss. Since this last flare this winter I have notice my hair is more thinner and I am at wits end what to do,Seeing dermatologist in a few weeks. Any answers.I have been on Gralise for 3 months with suceess but the hair loss is getting to me.(medication is in the neurotin family.)

Fran

BetteK responded:

Fran,

I don't know if any of your meds could contribute to hair loss, but I do know that right around the time I started being really affected by my fibro, I noticed a lot more hair in the drain after my shower. I asked my hairdresser about it, and she said that there was a lot of loss in full-length hair, but that I had a whole lot of new hairs coming in. Then she just floored me with, "I think the new hair is curly, too!"

Well, sort of. There is now a patch bordering where you would part your hair on the left side that is curly. It looks wierd there next to the rest of my baby fine straight hair. I just get perms now, and things even out.

All this happened about the time menopause must have been visiting me. (It's harder to tell since I had a hysterectomy at 35.) So there I was, battling a lot of fibro issues, sweating all the time, getting even less sleep than normal, and losing 1/3 or so of my normal-lenght hair. Not a pretty sight.

What did I do? I got a shorter, permed style. (Comb it after the shower, and you're good all day.) I joined a weight-loss group and started walking to Pizza Hut's salad bar every day for lunch--sticking to salad with vinegar and oil dressing and none of the hi-cal extras. I arranged my classes (lucky me) so that I did all my next-county ones on two days a week with a day nearer home in between. I taught my sons how to load the dishwasher after dinner, and convinced my hubby that if he wanted "real" spuds for dinner HE would peel them before I got home from work. And I found the best fibro neurologist in 100 miles.

As I said, lucky me.

BetteK

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.