Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Medical Rabbit Trail Mood Swings
missist posted:
Still didn't hear from the neurologist re: an apt. I'm having some doozy mood swings. I think its 'medical rabbit trail anxiety'

I feel this glimmer of hope thinking--hmm maybe they will find something they can fix? or that is at least a bit more respectable (sorry folks- you know--something people won't think is hyochondria)

Anyhow-- as the day goes on I flip flop and think--this is stupid why go to all the trouble and expense of chasing another rabbit trail? When do I give this up?

I know I have new symptoms I haven't dealt with before--but I'm so sure that I will end up having a ton of tests, spend lots of $$ and probably be in pain over some of them.. and they will have no clue what is wrong and say-- well here's an antidepressant, lose some weight and join the gym.. that'll be $8000. good luck! bye.

Of course the thing about moodswings is then it swings back again to... well you might as well give this a go, maybe they'll fix something.

We shall see..
mary

BetteK responded:
Mary,

Of course you are having mood swings. You have a ****load of problems: chronic pain, fatigue, unusual--make that wierd--symptoms.

See the neuro. Fibro is a condition where many different NEUROchemicals are out of whack.

In the meantime, practice whatever it takes to lower your stress load. Take whatever meds seem to help. Avoid negative people. Look out for your well being.

BetteK

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

I totally see where you're coming from. I started having FM symptoms as a young teenager. Of course, nothing was discovered in blood tests and I was questioned if I took drugs! That soured me on doctors.

I had some crazy new symptoms almost 2 years ago. I finally went to the doctor, thinking something must be off. Of course, all my tests came back normal--which is good but frustrating when you're looking for answers.

Hopefully, you'll have a good initial appointment with the neurologist. Have you researched other people's reactions to the gabapentin? I've found the one of the best ways to research a med is to find forums where people themselves describe side effects they experienced. I find that doctors and drug companies will only talk about the know side effects, but when you can read experiences from others with the same thing as you, it can help. Perhaps what you've been experiencing is linked to the gabapentin, who knows?

I hope you get some answers and enjoy your time with your family!

missist replied to Anon_10089's response:
I did find some people online who had seizures that they beleive were caused by gabapentin. Thing is-- I had some 'similar' episodes about a year ago--also at night as these were.

I'll go to the neuro but I guess I feel discouraged cuz I went the rounds with the rheumatologist last fall--and that did nothing useful. I'm still dealing with the same things. About half the RXs I've tried didn't work or had side effects that were too much.

but you know-- all of you folks probably know this routine.

so I don't think anyone who doesn't have this can really understand the amount of frustration that comes with it.

ah well.. life goes on.

missist replied to BetteK's response:
BetteK- thank you. what you said was great to read.

One thing that amazes me--Ive been 'sick' I guess for almost all my adult life, and actually was not that well as a child either.
But I noticed that if people in my life think I may have MS or some kind of tumor---its as if my being ill never existed. In thier minds it was never real. So now they are concerned.

sigh..its funny because I know I've been impacted by this fibro more than many people I've seen seem to be impacted by ms or ra. so weird.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.