Skip to content
Alternative Pain relief ideas?
missist posted:
I'm starting to feel signs that my celebrex is not going to be a long term thing. I feel like I might need more and my gutt is not happy.

so.. I'm thinking I really want to find some alternative pain relief that works.

If anyone has some non RX pain help that really works let me know--I want to compile a list of alternatives. Thanks! Mary

BetteK responded:
Mary,

The list is so long. Over the years I've been on so many. These are some of the ones I remember.

• Elavil and Flexeril with Ambien for sleep
  • Celebrex (before that it was aspirin 2 every 4 hrs (that's 12 tablets a day, setting an alarm for 2 a.m.)
  • Neurontin
  • Provigil for fibrofog
  • Amantadine for lupus-like symptoms
  • Mestinon for droopy eyelids
  • Methocarbamol a muscle relaxer that caused the droopy eyelids and double vision
  • chloroquinine, an antimalarial, for "maybe Lyme"
  • Welbutrin
  • Gralise
  • Fentanyl pain patches (they come in 12 mcg/hr; I was up to 150 mcg/hr)
  • Oxycontin
  • Tylenol
  • Tylenol codeine
  • Tylenol oxycodone
And that doesn't even cover the irritable bowel or the migranes. Some of these worked for a while. Most of them did not. Many of them caused intolerable side effects.

The point is not to be surprised by anything your doc trys. (An antidepressant? But I'm not depressed, I'm sick!) All of the above and none of the above have helped us at different times for different symptoms.

What would I never give up? My Nature Made brand of Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc with Vitamin D and my probiotic for irritable bowel. I know when I don't take them. You will find meds and other modalities that help you. Be advised though that what helps today may not help next year. Our disease changes. So do our treatments.

Towards Better Days,

BetteK

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

It seems like you benefit from anti-inflammatories. I've never tried it myself, but I know turmeric is supposed to help with that. I've seen a combo supplement that had turmeric and other things (also spices but concentrated into capsules). It was advertised as anti-inflammatory.

I've also known people get a good benefit out of green drinks. You need one of those blenders that can blend very well. You can get so many nutrients in one drink that it seems to help with inflammation too.

Please share any other findings you find helpful!

missist replied to Anon_10089's response:
Hi, I did try turmeric about a year ago.. nothing.

Egads! BetteK.. sigh.. that's a heckuva list.

I'm gonna look into the cal/mag/zinc-D--although I do have a good food based multi-vitamin that I think covers the lot--
a pro-biotic would probably help-- maybe I could tolerate the celebrex better.

so gonna think about that.

thanks folks!!
Mary

missist replied to BetteK's response:
BetteK--
Would the probiotics help with heartburn/reflux?

I think i need to find a way to make the celebrex keep working even if it means I make a bunch of other changes.

My pain level was just tolerable with the new dose of celebrex, if I stop taking it-- I just don't know how I even move.

having a lot more pain areas today, which is frustrating.

missist replied to Anon_10089's response:
green drinks? can you elaborate a little?
thanks.

Anon_10089 replied to missist's response:
Sure! There's maybe 3 parts to it: spinach/kale/chard (greens); a base of water or juice. Juice can add a lot of sugar so I like to use water or coconut water; fruit--bananas add a lot of flavor, berries are also good. My favorite mix is spinach, an apple, a lime, with water base. It looks like liquid lettuce but it tastes really good!

I don't drink these all the time--I should do it more. And it's obviously one of those things that would add to overall wellness and probably not make a difference immediately. And if you have some stomach issues, you'd want to start slowly and maybe use spinach at first. Those more fibrous greens like kale can actually cause some problems.

A pro-biotic might also be a good idea. There has been a lot of research lately in "gut" health. The probiotics help balance out the good gut bacteria. It could help out your reflux possibly. This is another thing that is a long-term health. You can also try upping the amount of fermented foods you eat--these also have the good bacteria.

rosielou responded:
Hi Mary,

I've been taking zyflamend for a few months now, you can probably find it at any health store and widely available online. It's an herbal capsule, mix of turmeric, ginger, and others, specifically for inflammation. So far it's been good for me.

As with any herbal, it takes weeks to see improvement. But no side effects, so that's a big hooray!

rosielou replied to rosielou's response:
Oh, and I make some tea with fresh ginger most days.

missist replied to rosielou's response:
Thank you all!! I jotted down every one of the suggestions.

If I can get my gutt to be happy I think the celebrex may not have to go. which would be great.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
375 of 402 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.