Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
To Angelwife's
missshortyd posted:
Good evening
I also love to play in my garden and my daughter too, but what ever I put in her yard something eats the hole plant including the roots.
I put down critter ridder but nothing helps any suggestions ?

Thanks
Linda

missist responded:
I had some peppers disappear that way--but the hot ones didn't. so I planted more hot ones between them.

I think the problem was a ground hog.

this morning I was scratching my head over a couple of clematis plants I had dug up. I had them in a pot with some damp mulch so I could move them today, but when I went to do that they were missing.

I think the culprit might be my chihuahua Paco. Not sure what to put down for that.

angelswife responded:
It could be any number of things...are there any pieces of the plants left, or are they pulled out of the holes and taken away? If the latter, I would look to critters of the two-legged variety. Not many animals eat the roots and the tops.

BetteK responded:
Linda,

Several years ago, we planted a clump of white birch in the center of our front yard to eventually replace an old tree that had finally died. We mulched with sawdust and wood shavings from a local sawmill. Weeks later we found that the mulch contained the biggest, black ants anyone had ever seen. They ate bark, trunks, leaves, and roots. It took longer than you are experiencing, but our birches were probably bigger than your transplants.

Check your soil. There could be critters with 6 legs too.

BetteK

missshortyd replied to angelswife's response:
Yes most times the whole plant is gone just a hole left. We live in the city if that helps.
Thanks everyone for you input

Linda : -)

missist replied to missshortyd's response:
Article about gardening as exercise.

http://gardening.about.com/od/allergiesarthritis/a/Garden_Fitness.htm

missshortyd replied to missist's response:
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.