Skip to content
Just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia
KathyRoark1972 posted:
I started having major pain last July I was just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. How do I live with this condition and what can help with the pain that I am in everyday? I started physical therapy but not seeing much in results. I can't do my daily activities and really don't want to move much. The only relief I get is when I am laying down but I know I can't do that all day I have to move and stretch but having difficulty mustering up the energy to do so. Can anyone help me? I just want to be able to clean my house real good but I have problems doing so I can do things for 15 minutes before it gets to the point of too much pain. I can't sit at a desk more than 10 min at a time. Please tips and support I don't know what to do much less have the energy to do anything.

dollbug responded:
Hello Kathy and welcome.....sorry that you have been dealing with so much.....for almost a year now....FM sucks....to say the very least.....but I am sure that soon you will find the *right combination of tools* that will help you cope better. You can start right here on this site....read the *tips* and *resources* sections and be sure and review the *member toolbox*.

I wish I could say that I know something that will help your *fatigue*....but I have NOT found anything yet that I can truly say has helped me cope better with my energy level.

I do take vitamins and supplements though and do other things as well which has allowed me to *control my FM pain* most of the time....NO....I am not painfree....but it is so much better than it was in the beginning.

Have you gotten your Vitamin D level checked yet? I hope that you will speak to your doctor about getting this done....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for a lot of people these days....and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I do want to comment to you about *laying down*....which is probably not a good thing for you. We, FMers, must continue to be as active as we can be....the more you give in to the wrath of the dragon, aka FM, the more pain we will feel. Try to continue to move even if you have to move slowly....slowly is better than not moving at all. Drinking lots of water each and every day will also be good for you.
Doing *gentle* exercises and stretches will also do your body good....(gentle being the key word here).

Taking a hot shower right before bedtime using lavender bath salts so that you can relax better is good also. Sleep is so very important for us FMers....we have to get the right amount of sleep. Also you might try using a heating pad....which is my best friend....Heat helps me when nothing else will. Stopain Spray is also good....(you can find it at walmart for just under $8 and it is GOOD STUFF)

Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is also a good thing to do....this takes time and effort to do so. We can no longer cross the line....(overdo or push ourselves to the limit)....as when we do we will surely pay for it....everytime.

OK....learn all you can about what others do that has helped them cope better. We are all different and what helps one person may or may not help you. You will have to be the judge about what helps you. It does take at least 6-8 weeks of whatever you decide to try before making a decision as to whether or not it is working good for you.

This is a good start. I am sure others will chime in here.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to dollbug's response:
Hi Kathy, welcome!
I'm pooped--will maybe give you some tips too..tomorrow.

I over did cleaning my car, so yup.. recliner time.
Mary

KathyRoark1972 replied to dollbug's response:
Thank you and yes my vitamin D is low but I have to be careful of what vitamins I take due to I am allergic to Sulfates I have not found any vitamins that don't have some form of sulfates yet but will start researching that in earnest. Also, know what you mean about overdoing it I was up and out of the house for 4 hrs yesterday my whole body hurt I am down to just my neck and right shoulder hurting today it is swollen too is this normal? I had to take muscle relaxers and pain meds yesterday and today. They help a little but not much. When I am not sleeping today I will do the stretching that I was taught in physical therapy I went and got a big ball to help with it. That is what I use in physical therapy. My main concern is getting my strength back before July 1st due to I might be able to go back to work part time for a while just to see how I do I am just scared that they will turn down ADA paperwork like they have a lot of other people. I am going to print your response out so that when I go to Walmart again I will have it on me to remember to check the stop pain spray you are talking about. I have a king size heated blanket that I sleep on to help with the pain. I also take noratin and tramadol along with other psych meds. I have suffered with sparotic pain,depression,insomnia,stress.type 1 bipolar disorder, and until the hysterectomy severe pain when I had periods. I am now wondering if this was all FM and the doctors just never put the symptoms together. For the next couple of days I will be confined to my room due to my central air broke and if I get to hot I get real bad stomach aches and headaches. I have a window unit in my room to keep me cool but I can do light excercise in my room along with stretching. Thank you for the advice and look forward to finding out more of what I can try. Hope you feel a little better today.
Kathy

ggladieux responded:
Dearest Kathy,

Fibromyalgia is a journey, some days will be good and others not so much. All in this forum understand the frustration, the pain, and even the anger. Little things help, its almost like taking baby steps and forcing yourself to do little things at a time. For me taking hot baths/hot showers, not pressuring yourself to do everything at once. Ask for help, do little things without pressure, if you have to take a nap to recharge yourself and give your body a chance to recover than do so. I pray you have a supportive family. Most importantly, you are not alone. Take care of yourself,
Gwen

BetteK responded:
Kathy,

You know the wall plaque about "God is kind. When we get to old to clean our corners, he lowers our vision so we can't see the dirt."

You will have to develope selective eyesight. Do what you can to remove bric-a-brac and streamline your home. Do this on a few good days. Then, there won't be a lot of picking up to do before you can actually clean.

Deputize family members if possible. Even little ones can do dusting. Older kids or hubbies can fold laundry or vacuum.

If you cook a big meal, double it up. Freeze half for a bad day. Either buy your salad in bags or prepare several days worth at a time so you can bag up greens in a gallon bag and the softer stuff in some sandwich or quart bags. Then, you'll be able to just pour into bowls and pass the dressing on a bad day.

Learn to live in a lived-in house. You don't housekeep for your family; you do it in spite of them. Remember that on a bad day when you know the vacuum would be a no-no for you.

There will be bad days. Learn to make the most of the good ones. Be sure to fill them with good times. Believe me, I've had fibro since 1972, the work will always be there. Loving memories of doing things that bring joy are priceless. If you spend your energy chasing cobwebs, they'll be back again tomorrow. If you chase good times with loved ones, those times will be with you forever, too.

Decide what's important to you. Then do it. The rest doesn't matter.

Bette

rudyandirmouse responded:
Hello KathyRoadk1972 and Welcome to the Family. I'm glad you've found us, but am sorry that you have the fibro Dx and are dealing with it's conditions, pain and low energy issues because of it.

Most of us here deal with fibro fatigue each day in one form or another. I know for me it's late day in the day. Others are dead tired when they open their eyes in the a.m. I try to pace my day so that I can still have reserve energy to do late afternoon things. I guess pacing is the key for a lot of us here. Learning after time what time we begin to wind down is what helps us PACE the day.

As for housework, my motto for many years has been: do small things with great love. I set my day's goals and work towards getting them done. If I don't get them done OH WELL, no harm no foul, or so be it. In all things I make sure fibro issues or pain doesn't stop me. I may be slow at getting the day's of things list done, but by the time my head hits the pillow I know that I've done the day MY WAY, NOT fibro's.

Can't let 'it' win a second from you. Don't ever feel bad that you didn't do this or that cause when you do fibro wins. If you do the day your way, always, then you've had a good day. Dosen't matter if you fall short of doing all the things you set out to do, fibro doesn't want you to do anything but stay in bed and feel bad. So if you are up, doing, enjoying life your way.. you've had a great day.

Come back and let us know how your day is going on Roll Call.
Have a great day....Gentle hugs, Linda R

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
371 of 398 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.