Skip to content
Article posted on facebook today
KCable posted:
I am a new member here and have always respected WebMD in the past and used it as a resource, however, after reading the article that was posted today regarding the study that was done that "proved" that weather does not affect patients with Fibromyalgia I am incredibly appalled. First of all the test appeared to have been completed in one country, had a small test group and was completed over a 28 day period of time, and nothing was mentioned about a, well here goes a fibro fog moment, a group in the test that does not have Fibromyalgia.
As hard as we have to fight to have Fibromyalgia accepted and to receive proper treatment for it, I am simply in shock that you would post this and at a point in my life where I want to say shame on you. Shame on you and shame on these so called "Scientists".

missist responded:
kind of sad. How about we do research by asking patients.

1wareaglefan replied to missist's response:
Exactly, Mary! It seems they don't ever ask us!

Anon_10089 responded:
I think part of it is that in our 24 hours news world, media sites are desperate for any and all content. I keep my eye on various medical articles and so many times a small study is touted as some huge deal.

Often research and tests are tied to drug companies or other for profit agencies. They should definitely be more clear about the scope of the study and who is behind it!

All of us here know weather affects us and I think many doctors would actually concur with that!

rosielou responded:
Hi KCable,

I went looking for the article on WebMD Facebook but couldn't find it, that's probably me overlooking the post in all the clatter about the new issue of the magazine.

So anyway, we had a chilly and damp day yesterday, which is uncommon for our region. I was aching from head to toe, on the heating pad a lot to ease my back. Today we're back to sun and I'm much better. So baloney on that weather study. We live it and know better!

Rosie

Anon_2912 replied to rosielou's response:
The article did state "some are sensitive" to things.

IMHO- sensitivity is the operative word. We are sensitive to MANY things ...

What I would consider a 10, others consider it a 2.

I hate being cold...I freeze below 78 degrees, while others at work are sweating....

Anon_10089 replied to Anon_2912's response:
Anon 2912, you bring up another good point about the imperfections of studies about FM: we are all different. I often cringe when articles or TV commercials talk about FM because people who don't know much about it, assume we all have the same issues. So we get a lot of comments like "my friend with FM does this . . . or doesn't have that . . ."

Every article or study about FM should automatically point out we have different symptoms and varying degrees of problems.

I for one do a lot better in cooler weather. Granted, I live in Northern California and it never gets cooler than maybe 35 here and that's a rarity. However, the summers here almost kill me. I start sweating and feel like my brains are melting in the low 80's! Anytime the weather is above 85 or so (average of 5-6 months here) I have at best a low grade headache and at worst a full blown migraine. I also have never lived in a damp environment so I can't speak to that either. My husband and I are planning on moving to the coast sometime this year and a big part of that is so I can function better in cooler weather.

rosielou replied to Anon_10089's response:
I think I found the article now, and having read it, have a different comment.

First, here is the link to the article I'm talking about, if anyone else wants it. http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/news/20130604/weather-doesnt-trigger-fibromyalgia-symptoms-study-finds

I agree that "sensitivity" seems to be an important word here. But I also wonder what were the parameters they used to measure pain?

Looking at my pain diary over the past few days, the chilly damp weather only increased the pain level from a 6 to a 7. However the nature of the pain was much different. Cold damp pain is deeper and bone aching, tighter muscles, like the whole length of the thigh muscle hurts instead of just a 4" span.

Summer's high dry heat brings on migraines and lots of neck and shoulder problems. So there again the pain level number might not change, but the nature of the pain is very different, and definitely driven by the weather.

Does that make sense to anyone?

KCable replied to rosielou's response:
Hi Rosie,
I think the article really "flipped my switch" that day because my pain was at at 10 . I live in Middle Tennessee just outside of Nashville, we get all 4 seasons 400 times a year it seems, before I was ever diagnosed with fibro the effects of the weather on my body was one of my very first complaints even though I had no earthly what it was I was complaining about at the time.

Not only do I have Fibromyalgia I also have a condition called Pseudotumor Cerebri, I build up too much spinal fluid in my head periodically causing increased pressure on my brain. I live with headaches every day of my life, they vary from 5 to off the scale so you can only imagine what the weather, specifically the barometric pressure does to my head as well as my body.

Living in the area of the Country that I do we receive weather patterns from the Gulf as well as from the Texas/Little Rock/Oklahoma area. Now that hurricane season is here we get weather systems from the east coast as hurricanes come up the coast line. And let me tell you yes they do effect me, not nearly as much as the poor people in the middle of them.

I just feel like if they want to publish a study on something like this they need to actually complete a true study, do it at least over a one year period of time, a larger group with wider age span including males and females, people in different climates and how about a control group.

I know I'm just blowing off steam but that's just my opinion. Hope everyone has a great day!

missist replied to KCable's response:
I sure agree-- at least a year and with a lot of people. It was one of my first symptoms too--I remember telling my chiro that I felt like 'granny' with her rheumatiz.

I would literally lay on the floor when there was severe weather coming, my back would drive me crazy.. but now my back is not the big issue.. it does change. And you are right-- TN would sure get a lot of weird weather. we're on the other side of the mountains and generaly things from the west calm down before they hit us. not so much things from the east.
Mary

Bette_K replied to missist's response:
Me, too!

Spring and Fall and the ever-changing patterns of rain and damp have always been a problem.

Since menopause, (the past 20 or so years) I have had a horrible time with heat, too. Whenever it is above 74 or 75, I just can't think. When it hits 80, I'm practically brain dead.

That, dear scientists, is some sensitivity.

Bette

rosielou replied to missist's response:
Yep, you two are right. These teeny studies that get published as if they've uncovered some great information really can be annoying. I'd overlooked the 28-day part, sometimes the weather can be pretty stable over that short a timeline.

I guess I should be thankful that we don't get as wild swings as what you've described. But we do get some terrible changes in air pressure when different fronts drop over the mountains.

Anyway, it's a flawed study and I wonder who underwrote it to get it such wide distribution.

R

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.