Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain pills for fibromyalgia
Fooie5 posted:
I have had fibromyalgia for a few years , I took Vicodin for many years for the arthritis all over my body ! I've recently quit taking the Vicodin and now have been in bed for a week now !! I've been to the doctor 2 times this week and the ER one time ! I would love to know who takes pain meds for fibromyalgia ? Thanks a lot

Lisa in Ohio
FirstPrevious12NextLast

1wareaglefan responded:
I do. I also take celexa (an SSRI antidepressant) for depression/anxiety, sleep, and pain. I take a muscle relaxer at night to help with sleep and pain. I also need additional pain relief, so I take lortab. This combination works pretty well for me.

Of course, I also take supplements that are supposed to help fibro (kind of wonder about that), use pacing, heat, and rest. I have read enough about chronic pain and the negative effects on our bodies to know that I'd rather take pain meds responsibly than suffer.

Fooie5 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Thanks a lot !! I have no choice then to take the pain pills ! I can't deal with it ! The pain is horrible ! I'm calling Monday for pain management. I have to get help !! Thanks a lot ! Wanted to hear people's opinion

1wareaglefan replied to Fooie5's response:
I understand, Fooie. I fought taking them for quite a while, but finally I just couldn't take it anymore. So I started reading up on chronic pain and its effects on the body, plus I read about the difference between addiction and dependence.

Many doctors and patients, as well, are afraid to prescribe or take them for fear of addiction. Actually pain patients who take them responsibly for their pain only (and not to get "high") actually have a very low chance of becoming addicted. Addiction is where someone keeps taking more and more to increase the high feeling.

But our bodies can become dependent on them, just like most other meds. We can even be dependent on caffeine. That just means that our bodies are used to the med, and would have to taper off slowly, if we ever decided to stop taking them.

There's such a stigma about taking pain meds, which is a crying shame. Plus the addicts have made things very difficult for us, and doctors are becoming hesitant about prescribing them for legitimate reasons. I hope your doctor is one who will work with you on this. I believe that we shouldn't have to suffer in pain, when there is help available.

Good luck!
Elizabeth

Fooie5 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
My MD will not give them to me so I talked to a friend yesterday and I'm going to call a pain mgt clinic Monday ! I talked to a friend of mine today and she said do NOT start taking Vicodin again !!! It will kill you ! It does a lot of damage to your liver I'm so frustrated right now ! I've literally been in bed all week long. I have 3 kids at home and there's no time for me to lay in bed for days at a time ! You know what I mean ? The one dr I was seeing for pain died a few months ago , I've never never abused pain pills ! I only took what I was suppose to take in a day ! I never never ever snorted them ! The addicts make it bad for us people who really do have pain daily ! I've missed 6 days of work this week due to this flare up ! I never missed when I was taking the pain pills so tell me what's best? Sorry to ramble I'm just upset ! I'm 46 Nd feel 106

tmari responded:
I've finally got my medication to a point that I rarely have the "bad" days. Cymbalta for the anxiety/depression 1 daily, two Tramadol (non-narcotic) every four hours, follow that up with one muscle relaxer at bed time. I fought taking the medication for almost two years but finally my doctor convinced me it was better to be proactive instead of reactive. I can't believe the difference it has made!!!

BetteK responded:
Lisa,

I was on oxycontin, and when the oxycontin didn't work, they would switch me to the fentanyl patches. By switching, the body's need for more and more meds was short-circuited.

A few years ago, I decided I didn't want to be quite so "spacey" feeling. Going down slowly to the lowest oxycontin dosage available was reasonably easy. Making the leap from 10 mg. to none was tougher. You get the creepy crawlies. It feels like you have a horrible itch on the inside of your skin. Luckily, I was able to take Ambien at night, or it would have been unbearable.

Opioids are there for people who are in pain. If you need them at this point in your fibro, then you need them. We all have to do whatever it takes to make it through each day--despite our fibromyalgia.

Bette

Fooie5 replied to BetteK's response:
Thanks a lot for your help ! Does anyone know if lyrica makes you gain weight? If that's the case I will not be very happy , I tried taking the cymbalta and it made me very sick ! I stuck it out for a week or 2 and was very sick ! The past month I've had horrid anxiety ! Somedays 2-3 attacks a day ! Since my son passed away is when the depression anxiety and all this started ! Now the fibromyalgia I'm just frustrated and this weeks been horrid for me ! In bed sleeping all the time and last night couldn't sleep and was up all night ! Now I'm so tired I pray I can sleep good tonight thank you for your help ! Do you have tips to keep these flare ups away ? I'd love to know ! And does anyone take lyrica ?

Gracefilled replied to Fooie5's response:
Yes, I take pain medication and am suppervised by a pain management doctor. It is a very personal decision. It is important to me to be able to work and enjoy life to some degree. I went through an awesome pain mangement program where I learned some great coping strategies such as pacing and changing the nervous system with relaxation techniques. I also take low dose Paxil, Lyrica and low dose Ambien. When the doctor raised the Lyrica to help with pain at bedtime, I did gain weight. I am off to Weight Watchers again next week. The challenges are multifacited, as we all know. Hang in there. Find a doctor willing to work with you over time to get some relief.

missist replied to Gracefilled's response:
I'm not taking any narcotics at this point, just celebrex, with gabapentin & nortryptiline. I'm a little concerned that I'll end up on a narcotic of some sort eventually as nsaids are tough on me-- celebrex & aleeve are the only ones I can tolerate at this time and I'm starting to have more and more heart burn & reflux--although i think changing diet may help that.

I learned a trick for heartburn-- eat an apple-- it works pretty good.

I always read the threads about pain killers to see what folks are using and how it goes-- so thank you all for posting! Mary

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello and sorry for your increase in pain. Your body could be experiencing rebound pain from going off the vicodin. Obviously, you'll still have pain from arthritis and FM but it may get less intense in a week or two.

Secondly, I believe the concern about vicodin and the liver is more to do with the tylenol that is in the pills, not so much the opiate. A doctor should be able to tell you how much acetametaphine(tylenol) you should have per day. I belong to Kaiser and I have had a vicodin prescription for awhile. This last year, they changed their formulation to having fewer mgs of tylenol in the pills. So that is an option for you too: instead of taking pills with 500 mgs of tylenol, you could possibly take pills with 325 mgs.

I've heard a lot of people who have tried Lyrica gain weight on it. I took gabapentin, which is similar, and indeed gained weight. The weight had absolutely nothing to do with my diet or activity, since I was eating very well and working out a lot. Personally, I won't mess with anything that carries weight gain as a side effect. But everyone is different and the benefits could outweight the side effects.

I also went years without taking pain meds and fought doing it. My husband at some point demanded (out of love) that I do something. He was the one that pointed out to me that I deserved a decent quality of life. That turned me around and I have taken them for a few years now.

I have had some issues with tolerance so right now I am trying to rotate between tramadol and norco (325/5). I also take a low dose of nortriptyline and I always take something to help me sleep.

I hope you figure this out soon!

franr replied to Fooie5's response:
Dear Fooie
So sorry You continue to experience pain. My MD has me on remeron for sleep and it helpe with the depression.Pain management has me on gralise. It is a long acting neurotin.So far these meds have helped this recent flare,I hope you find a med that can help you as soon as possible. Fran

Fooie5 replied to franr's response:
what a crazy day Ive worked 7 hours and had horrid pain. My MD does NOT want me on vicodin for my pain but it helps me function as a human being. I spent 1 hr calling pain mgt clinics and NOONE will take you without a referell. What a shame. I currently have care source ins and im trying so hard to find a Dr to give me vicodin for my pain. I see now why people buy it off the streets, (which I would never do) But its a shame that the people who have abused it made it bad for us who really need the help. Im at my wits end and will keep calling places until I find a Dr to help me. I live in Ohio, Close to Canton Ohio. If anyone is close to me please let me know who maybe can help me. thanks a lot.

tuloud54 replied to Fooie5's response:
Without your own md on board it may be real difficult for anyone to take you as a patient.Is there any reason your dr couldn't help you with scripts,at least till you find proper pain mgmt.One thing I learned is no dr likes you telling them what meds you need. Try and get your dr on your side.Good luck.

tuloud54 responded:
Who prescribed the vicodin you quit recently? Maybe they would help you again.Good luck

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.