Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Graduation
mayville posted:
Hi, Fibro-Friends;
Well, last weekend was a visit with my sick bestie, remember? Many of you told me how stress will make the pain worse, and many of you told me to rest and not feel guilty. I did that and I was starting to almost feel human when another weekend crept up on me. My youngest graduated from high school yesterday and it was a very emotional day. It hit me that, somehow, she grew into a beautiful, loving young woman and in less than 2 months from now, I'm going to help her move into her dorm at UW Eau Claire. Wasn't it last week that she was toddling around the house playing hide and seek with me?? I'm in such pain today. I'm barely able to hobble to the bathroom. I couldn't sleep in my bed last night, and I'm not even going to attempt it tonight. The lazy-boy is calling my name. One day, I hope to be able to afford a sleep number bed, but that's out of the question right now...just too many medical bills. I've been taking on-line courses thru Kaplan University, and lately, the fibro fog and the pain has really been making things hard for me to concentrate on my classes. My motivation stinks right now and I'm fighting w/myself to do my homework.
Thanks all of you for caring and giving me pointers along the way. Maybe one day, I'll be able to give some of you tips and maybe some encouraging words like you do for me.

Mayville

BetteK responded:
Mayville,

What a proud day you experienced! And, of course, it was worth any pain you suffered today.

This is what we all have to do. We decide how to spend our precious energy. Then we pay for it. Most of the time, we don't really mind the next day pain--not if the experience was worth it!

How do you like the on-line course? Do you find that you are getting the full course as well as you would inside a classroom? Some of my classes were independent study and some were summer school. The regular 15 week classroom semester gave me a better, more permanant understanding of my subject. But that's just me.

Hope your concentration returns soon so you can fully appreciate your coursework.

Bette

P.S. I have a Simmons bed that's like a sleep number. It was half the price of a s. n. Check around.

dollbug responded:
Hello Mayville and enjoy the days you have right now....so many good ones....the youngest child graduating can be sad and stressful....but you have so much to look forward to.

You do not say how many children you have. I have 3...2 boys with a girl in the middle. They are 3 1/2 years apart and 19 months apart...with my boys being 5 years apart. What is funny as well is that they graduated high school, college, married and had children all in the same order that they were born. They all married in their 20's, after they went to college. I now have 3 grandchildren as well...2 boys and a girl...(she is the oldest at 8 - soon to be 9 in July) and my GS are 6 and 3....and I have another grandbaby on the way (turkey day or there about)....we are hoping and praying for a little girl-to make it even and because my daughter in law wants a little girl as well.
I love, love my grandchildren.....they are the joys in my life. When I had children I did NOT think I could find any deeper love than that....but then my grandbabies arrived....OMG...how precious and sweet little blessings are - gifts from GOD to love and cherish...they are our future generations.

Yes...time surely passes by too quickly...so we must capture each moment and save the memories of life within our minds.

You do have to sometimes *pick and choose* what is important and what you want to do...especially when the wrath of the dragon, aka FM, rears its ugly head at us.

Enjoy what you can and take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

1wareaglefan responded:
Hi, Mayville....I've found the emotional stress can sometimes be the worst. My son, DIL, and 2 year old granddaughter just moved to Mexico to be missionaries. I've been having quite a time with my pain since then!

I understand. I pray that you'll be feeling better very soon. I'm also glad you saw how resting your body was the right thing to do after the last flare.

Take care,
Elizabeth

mayville replied to BetteK's response:
Hi, Bette,
I enjoy taking the classes and keeping my mind working. I feel that I'm getting just as much with the online courses as I would with conventional classes. Thanks, I'll look around for a decent bed.

Mayville

mayville replied to dollbug's response:
Hi, MiMi,

I have two girls. I had my first daughter when I was 16 and I gave her up for adoption. She found me a year ago and we have been emailing ever since. She lives in New York State and I'm in Wisconsin, so we have not met face to face. She has two boys 16 and 7. I really want to meet her and her family!

Mayville

BetteK replied to mayville's response:
What a decision you had to make at 16! I hope that this was ultimately right for both you and your daughter. No one can predict the future, but at 16 you had none to offer her.

It's wonderful that you are getting to know this young woman. I hope you get to meet her and her family soon. And I hope she realizes the sacrifices you have made.

Every child should be loved, cherished, and nurtured. Not every person (man or woman) is ready or able to do this.
You gave your daughter a chance you could not have provided. You did your best.

Bette

missist responded:
Aww Mayville that would do it for me too. I had the worst flare up the year my Mom died, we had stress with a house we had bought and my daughter decided to marry --a bit unprepared.

Knocked me into pain for almost the whole year!

It will improve, don't worry, its good to be able to see the patterns and learn to hear what your mind & body are saying.

God Bless! Mary

BetteK replied to missist's response:
Mary,

There's something about losing a mother. For a year, I was "commuting" 300 miles to spend every other weekend (Wednesday through Sunday) with her and take her for her transfusions. The multiple mylenoma won.

All the pain, fatigue, and loss hit me like the proverbial Mack Truck. I had to go on disability way too early. But there was no way to continue teaching in such pain--even with the Duragesic pain patches. (The lowest dose was 25 mcg/hr. I was on 150 mcg/hr. and still in unbelievable agony.)

I don't think I will ever fully recover. But I know I will be able to live for my self and my family. Even on bad days.

Bette

(On a good day.)

franr replied to BetteK's response:
Dear Mayville
This past winter before I was diagnosed, my former doctors told me they were unable to find out what was wrong with me thus this caused more stress and the pain became worse.When I changed to a large medical center and then was properly diagnosed and receive the right medication plus they were more supportive and considerated my pain subsided. So yes ,stress does cause increase in pain. I hope you find the right treatment ASAP. Hugs Fran

ajnsmom replied to mayville's response:
Hi Mayville, I found that a memory foam topper helped a lot when I first got fibro, so you may want to give that a try. That's a less expensive thing to try and may help you sleep better, even if only a short term solution.

Linda

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.