Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Humid, humid, humid!
BetteK posted:
Here it is almost 2 A.M. I'm still awake. Had enough tossing and turning trying to get some sleep. The humidity is 98%. I do not do 98% humidity well.

Am I the only one? It seems as if you cannot breathe. Both lungs and skin (Yes, your skin breathes.) are gasping and telling you that they need some cooler, crisper air.

No, I'm not really suffocating. It just feels that way. Actually, the temperature is great for sleeping at 55 degrees, but with all this moisture it still feels close.

Tuesday will be a little better. After all, it couldn't get much worse.

Bette

Take the Poll

How does the humidity effect you?
  • Fibrofog is worse.
  • I really hurt.
  • I cannot sleep.
  • All of the above.
  • I don't notice any change.
vote
View Poll Results

rudyandirmouse responded:
I just read an newspaper article, done by researchers into fibro pain and issues, about how weather DOESN'T play any part in fibro issues, conditons or pain.

Really?

I wonder how many of those doing the research talked to people who have fibro or have fibro themselves, or know someone who has it.

dollbug replied to rudyandirmouse's response:
Yep....funny just how *small* some of these researches are....and the info that they release. I also hate seeing some of the *commercials* advertising some medicines which might help FM....the women do not even *act* like they have FM....or how I think they should be. My guess is the person doing the commercial does not have a *clue* about what the illness is about.

Personally, my mind and my body both tell me that weather does indeed play an important part to the way I feel and function. I do not CARE what the articles of research say. Do not know how or why but it does affect the way I feel.

As for sleeping at 55* BetteK....I could NOT do this. My younger son keeps his house too cool for me....Perhaps I am just an odd ball here but I keep my temps where I can cope better. My children do tell me that it is too warm in the house. My DH sleeps with his fan on,. But me....I can NOT rest if I am too chilly. I have gotten worse since the wrath of the dragon reared its ugly head in my body.

That's me though. And I do wear my cuddl duds year round, for the most part.

Have a good day.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

dollbug replied to dollbug's response:
Funny site here today....I posted the above reply and it indicated the site was unable to display it that I would need to try again....(must have been an illusion) well.... waited for a couple of minutes and it APPEARED....I thought for sure that it was sucked into cyberspace.

The modern technology is GREAT....when it is working right.

I am glad I waited to see.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

1wareaglefan responded:
I live in Alabama, and we have lots of humidity. It definitely makes my pain worse!

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Bette,

I too have trouble with humid weather. I find it a lot harder to breath. It does not help that I am obese. Plus with all the pain I have with walking it takes me longer to get anywhere. I prefer cooler weather myself. I am in heaven with temps around 50 to 70. I love for it to be cold at night. I use to freeze my soon to be ex husband because I love the room to be cold. He use to use an electric blanket while I slept with just a thin blanket. Now I can keep the room cold and not feel bad if he is cold.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Anon_10089 replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
I do not live in a humid place. I live in Northern California, in the valley. So it gets very hot here, but almost never humid.

I recently spent some time in Thailand and Singapore, though, so I got a big dose of humidity. I hated it! I am one of those people that also thrives in cold and does horrible in the heat. I had migraines for about half of the trip even though I was not dehydrated.

Where I live now is also too hot for me--about 6 months out of the year. My husband and I are planning on moving to the coast to see if cooler weather will help my overall energy and pain levels. I know when it's cooler here, I can get a lot more done and I feel so much better. Plus, we'll live in a beautiful beach town so I think getting myself outside to walk will be that much easier!

BetteK replied to Anon_10089's response:

Anon,

A beautiful beach town with moderate termperatures. That sounds great. Let us all know how things go for you.

Kristen Thornton, who did the Fibromyalgia Network newsletter for so many years, lives in Pheonix. She obviously still suffers from her FM--even in a much dryer climate.

20 years ago, before heat was a problem for me, I was considering a move to that area. Then I read an article in Kristen's journal about how when FMers moved to warm, dry areas they did well at first. Then, in a couple of years, they were back to the same old aches and the same old fatigue.

The more I know about fibro, the less I know about fibro. All my life, I've hated winter. I could never really get warm. Enter FM. Now, I still hate cold hands and feet (a little Raynards?), but those cold, clear, BONE DRY days of January are the ones when most of my pains (other than those fingers and toes) go away.

Here's to warm (not hot) beaches with white sands, fresh breezes, and beautiful sunsets.

Bette

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.