Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Disability
JulesP posted:
Happy Fathers day to all the dads and single moms out there <3
So I applied for disability in March and got my denial letter. They didn't even consider my memory loss after I have 2 neurologist and all my Drs backing me up. Disability stated I am able to sit most of the day which isn't true. They clearly didn't even look into my new and recent issues, only the initial issues I stated with my lawyer. They didn't even acknowledge some disability's. I understand this is normal for first time applications so I am filling an appeal. It sucks when you are disabled and it's YOUR money YOU put into the system and they say no. I know its a bureaucracy and I have to just keep trying. Just very depressed now. Anyone out there that is going through a similar situation. I know many people get crazy mad when disability is mentioned but I want to know if anyone can guide me through the whole process and understand where I'm at and the feelings I'm going through. I live In Massachusetts. Laws may be different in other states not sure. Thanks for all the support.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

missist responded:
Hi.. I think the only way you get it the first time is if you are dying of cancer or were in a major explosion & your head fell off..

Just keep trying. Good luck!
Mary

dollbug responded:
Hello Jules....just wanted to comment on the *disability issue*.....our system is truly *broken*.....and it is fixed so that people who apply are most likely to get denied.....I have read that I think it was over 80% of people are denied the first time. You should NOT give up....actually you can appeal the decision yourself. You did not say whether or not you have an attorney (I didn't)....but you need to just *follow the procedures* that they provide you in the letter....since you have the doctors on your side....then it should not be hard for you to do this.

I ended up also contacting my state representative about my disability when I got denied. You will still have to go through the *process* of whatever they require....but eventually you will get approved. It is really sad that people who are unable to work have to be stressed to the limit to deal with all that the system puts us through. I think it is designed to make it hard and just how that the majority of the people will just give up and not continue to fight for it.

Be sure and keep on keeping on.....do whatever it takes.....if you are unable to work.....you should eventually be approved it get it.

I hope this help you some.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

ajnsmom responded:
I went to Allsup's website and am planning to use them to apply. I was denied when I first got fibro a couple years ago, but I was later able to return to work, so it was ok. But now there's too much pain and other medical conditions going on. So I went to the website and Allsup is going to contact me once the waiting period is over as I just resigned my job this past week. I was going to use them to appeal the denial before, but I didn't need them after all. I would not try to go it alone.

Bette_K responded:
Jules,

It took me almost 2 years to get approved. If you haven't been keeping track of all your doctor visits and all the meds that did or did not work, please start now.

I do not have any young children in my house. I had no major reason to throw out all the old meds that no longer (or never had) worked. I just tossed them into a plastic grocery bag and forgot them.

Come the day for the appeal and I brought the bag with me. I also brought my current meds. The judge checked all those little vials out. I think this helped. Of course, the many, many, many trips to the ladies room while I was waiting for the appointment--all in full view of the lady who turned out to be my judge--didn't hurt either.

If you don't have all those vials, maybe you can dig up the pharmacy reciepts you stuck in with each year's tax reciepts. The ones we get list the name of the meds and dosage.

Now that most people have cell phones with cameras, an alternative would be to record all your meds that way.

Every little bit of evidence you have helps.

You're right that this is our money. It is as if we are all some kind of scam artists trying to bilk the system--when in reality we are hard workers who have reached the limit of our ability to work while in constant pain and after years of nonrestorative sleep.

Hope this helps you and others.

Bette

mayville responded:
Hi JulesP,
I'm waiting for the court date for my second appeal. You're right, they don't take any of your problems into consideration. I'm entirely frustrated and equally depressed. I am not working (I can't work), and what my husband makes, is less than what is going out. Hang in there, we can go thru this nightmare together.

Mayville

PS I live in Wisconsin

Bette_K replied to mayville's response:
I think that someone should start a class action suit against the Social Security Administration for routinely denying disability claims. People go into debt. People lose their medical insurance because they cannot afford the COBRA payments during that long wait.

I guess I was lucky. I had been teaching long enough to get some of my pension (but no where near what it would have been if I had been able to work until 65). Even so, it was nip and tuck whether we would lose our farm while we waited for SSDI.

And those who are forced to cut back on their work hours are royally s***wed! Those smaller paychecks for fewer hours will ultimately mean lower disability payments. NOT FAIR. Neither is it fair to say that you're not disabled unless you cannot do ANY job.

Oh, well. I've ranted long enough. Good luck to all of those who have been forced by their FM to stop working. Here's to a quicker, fairer settlement.

BetteK

Anon_408 replied to Bette_K's response:
They have their rules and processes to go through, For every half dozen really unable to work, there is a half dozen trying to use the system! Unfortunately, they have to have a way to do it.

dollbug replied to Anon_408's response:
I just wanted to comment to your reply about disability. I am sure that there are some people use abuse the system or at least try to....but for the life of me I do not even understand how drawing your disability could be worth the time and effort IF indeed a person is able to work and make so much more. I know that I would indeed prefer to work and make a lot more money than to get just a portion of what I could get and keep busy as well. But that is just me.

I also know that being unable to work causes a lot of stress on people....and more stress to deal with is NOT something any FMers needs more of.

Again....just my own opinion.

MiMi

missist replied to dollbug's response:
I think many people have a bad idea of folks on disability. One misconception is that you can't do ANYthing.. I have a near relative who is getting a check. He leads a very full life, is active and busy- however-- he has a traumatic brain injury that truly does make it impossible for him to hold down a regular job. I know he would LOVE to work; but he has some unpredictable issues that make it truly impossible. You may see him really struggling to re-learn things-- maybe he got up on water skis, or maybe he is singing in a choir-- still there are things he simply cannot do and his thinking/emotions are hugely impacted; balance issues that he works so hard to overcome, a temper he never used to have, cannot sit still, injures himself often by trying to do things he probably shouldn't. He has a wonderful outgoing gung ho spirit--and yet, there's that....

Me, I chose as a young woman to stay home with my 4 children so I only have a few years of work history and only 1 year that was truly full time. I know I can work in my home at my pace on selling online--but I just cringe at the thought of a 'real job'. Still I don't collect a check as I would probably not find it worth the fight. I'm thankful for my husband and may he stay able bodied and employed! For the both of us.

Mary

fluffy17 responded:
ok'hi im wendy i am 50 i was diagnosed with fibro about 7 yrs ago and i kept working and taking pain meds but the problem is they only help so long-i applied for ssdi and denied me -i filed appeal and got it a yr ago. just keep goin ahead- i think because of my age and deli work i had done the judge realized i could not train to b much else and i have astma bad so i mostly got it for that- so just keep trying::im on subutex for pain it helps some but no miracle pill anyway- i feel good mid monin so i make dinner early:: have a nice day wendy

missist replied to fluffy17's response:
Hi Wendy!
Nice to meet you, I have a little window daily too. So when Hubby is here I do dinner prep in the am too, when he isn't I eat really simple. I'm in my 50s as well, had this just about 30 years I think.

Mary

Anon_2912 replied to dollbug's response:
You would be amazed at those who would do anything to get money for doing nothing....

As Anon_408 says, for every half dozen who truly deserve it, there are another half who want to abuse it...

As sad as it is, it is hard to know who is lying and who is not. It is not hard to read up about Fibro and know exactly what to do and what symptoms to claim to your unknowingly doctor..

There is no blood test to prove you have fibro, it is more of "taking a patients word for their symptoms".

Just like addicts, the fakers of fibro have learned to critique the way they do things.

I would hate to be a judge.

dollbug replied to Anon_2912's response:
Actually I would hope that there are doctors who back up those people who have to go in front of a judge. Again....I can hardly believe that anyone would want to be on disability if they are able to work. I guess though there are people who just might draw more money than some of us get. I could not even live on what I get. So I do not quite understand the point of trying to abuse the system.

I do know though that it is nice to have some money without asking someone else for it and a little bit is better than none at all.

I have learned never to judge anyone though since for the most part, people do NOT know what another person might be dealing with.

I also happen to know that even judges make WRONG DECISIONS....as they did when my daughter appeared in court. The judge finally corrected her error but the damage was already done at the time she figured out what she had done...so it was too little, too late.

Take care.

MiMi

bluskye910 responded:
I finally got my disability, but they only disabled me from 2012, I applied in 2011. I had to get a lawyer. I have had diabetes since the age of 6, But the judge told me that diabetes is considered a self inflicked disease. I was finally diagnosed with RA. It will take you a while to get it, but you will. My daughter has fybro and she got her disablity. It took her 6 years, but she got it.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
461 of 536 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.