Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tuesday ****6/18/2013****
dollbug posted:
Morning FMily...MiMi in NC...where it is still damp...going to be a bit cooler today...we got several thunderstorms yesterday off and on...it will be around 78* today...I hope others can enjoy nice weather today. I guess we all need to get ready for the hot summer months ahead of us.

Cory...I do hope you will have some nice weather soon...I guess though you are use to the kind of weather anyway.

Here is hoping everyone had a good night's rest and I hope today will be a good day for you as well, with little to no pain.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/406665/Vitamin-D-cuts-blood-pressure-and-slashes-risk-of-stroke-and-heart-attack

Another link that I want to share with everyone above. Vitamin D has been called the *miracle pill*...so funny. Actually I think it is...or at least it has been for me. I am not quite sure that I agree that sunshine can do the same thing...as I am not convinced that once the Vitamin D level gets so low that just the sunshine can get it back to within the *normal level*. I do know that the Vitamin D has made a difference in the way I feel and my daughter as well.
And I also know that being out in the sunshine does help my body feel better with the warm sunshine rays against my body. I do know that there has been a lot of research done on Vitamin D and the connections it has with the affects on our bodies.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our FM support group. I am sure that each of you will soon find the right combination of tools that will improve your quality of life. It does take a trial and error process which does take time and effort.

Learn all you can about the wrath of the dragon, aka FM. The more you know about it the better you will learn how to deal with it. You should remember that everything is a process...and also what works for one may or may not work for another.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Enjoy your day and remember to pace, pace and pace even more.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

rudyandirmouse responded:
Good morning MiMi and to all that will follow. I do hope that your day is going well and that it will be fibro issue and pain free.

OMGoodness did it rain yesterday! Flood watches for all the counties around middle TN. We go three inches here and not sure how much over night. It's over cast right now and it rained an hour ago and a lot more wet stuff due in here over the next few hours. We're were over our yearly rain totals last week by 4 inches and with the rain yesterday and today we'll be close to 37 inches for the year. That's a whole lot of water. We're under flood watches this a.m. Sorry MiMi it's heading east. I do hope it loses a lot of water before it get's to your area.

Am going to make this post short as my GS is due here in just a few minutes. What a joy that is for me. I will be taking him over to the church where my BFF is doing our LAST senior's lunch. Yea that!! I know he will be a help and it will so nice to have him with me. He's 12 and just a love. Tomorrow I will have 2 GS's and one GD with me and then Friday 3 GS's and the GD. This will be so wonderful for me.

MiMi, thank you so much for the Vit D link. I just can't say enough good things about D. As for getting all you need via the sun, I think the supplement is the way to go.

Okay, have thins to do before my GS gets here. Have a great day everyone.
Gentle hugs, Linda R

missist responded:
Good Morning Mimi & All..

Here in SC we have the same weather as usual. Big downpour last night; all clouded up this morning and cooler, but humid.

I'm not feeling up to working outside but I did make myself 2 small goals to do some time today outside.

I'm back to work on my etsy shop, need to see if I can make some sales this week. This was my busiest month last year but sure isn't this year.

I am grateful that so far at least, Hubby is able to support us both. I don't know what I would do for a job right now-- just not well generally.

Took my meds a little earlier than usual last night, my ankles and feet are usually pretty stiff by evening; last night it was all the way up the leg to knees and loosened up after I took pills-- which--I do not understand this-- I definitely have inflammation-I can see it and feel it and NSAIDs do help it. Yet I never test positive for inflammation. So weird.

Had a good time with family last week, hoping I can rally myself to get going on some artwork today. God Bless all and have a good day!
Mary

dollbug replied to missist's response:
Hello Mary....I think I also have inflammation too....I know that supposedly FM does not include it but I truly think it is present and somehow connected. I wanted to ask you....have you or do you take Omegas? I think that Omegas have helped mine.

I have knee problems as well and I was taking 2 joint supplements daily but then I read that they think they affect the eyes....so I cut back to taking just 1 joint supplement but I continued taking the Omegas....I take the ones from Salmon. (no bad taste with them).

I use to have major problems with both knees until I finally tried the synvisc injections which helped the pain a lot. I have had them several times and they have lasted longer for me than they do for most people.

I am glad that you had a good time with your family last week...I know that I love being around my children and grandchildren.

Take care. and have a good day. I hope the weather gets better for all of us.

MiMi

katmandulou responded:
Hello FMily!

What wacky weather we've all had. Yesterday I got out of work early, and saw growing thunderheads to the west. I drove home through some really dark skies, and a little rain, knowing they were following me. By the time they got to where I live, the t-storms had evaporated and we had driving rain with thunder in the distance.

Today it's warm and sticky, and t-storms are supposed to be coming after 5. I just checked tThe Weather Channel - it's 82? here, with a high of 78?!

We've had three graduations this month. All nieces, all going to good colleges, and we're so proud of them. With no kids of my own, I live vicariously through my siblings and in-laws. One party down, two to go!

Gonna sign off so I can figure out where my external hard disk hid those files. And I was thinking only last week that I needed to replace it!

Have the best day you can possibly have,
Lou

missist replied to dollbug's response:
Hi Mimi-- I also have knee problems--mainly when I get up from a chair or climb steps. My mom & her sisters all had pretty bad knees, some got them replaced, my Mom kept hers going with injections until she died --which was at 69. She had a lot of spine arthritis & fibro and osteoporosis--so she crumbled. From a strong woman who was taller than me (tallest girl in fam.) to a weak weary woman shorter than my sister (among the shortest) in less than 2 years!

Anyhow I use norwegian cod. I have tried other things, not much really helps. D helps some, but celebrex is the best thing--although I could use a 3rd dose in the day--not sure I should though.

I don't think my knees are bad enough to get injections at this point, got other more pressing areas. I'm losing my legs-which I think is something in my spine. Hopefully the neuro can figure it out.
Thanks! mary

mnjeepguy responded:
Good evening everyone. I had another rough day today. I almost came home and went to bed. Everything was flared up. I came home and mowed one of my lawns. My wrist was horrible. It's a good thing my mower is self propelled.

After a shower I applied some of the Penetrex my wife found on Amazon, along with my new wrist brace. Now It feels much better. I am hoping to heal this issue at home but if it persists I will go in soon.

I woke to a frigid 36 degrees at 5:20 am. I had to wear my insulated Carhart jacket to work. By the time I got home at 2:30 it was 73. I do like the weather here in the summer, I just wish it would get here already.

I am wondering if nightshade vegetables are increasing my pain. They are said to cause inflammation. I have had quite a few peppers and tomatoes in the last few days. I am noting it in my journal to look for a connection. If there is anything I can do at home to keep the pain away I want to try it.

It is sunny out and I am feeling a little better. I think I might get a walk in. Have a good night everyone.

Cory

dollbug replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Hello Cory....I googled the Penetrex and was reading the reviews on it plus what it is made of....interesting as Vitamin B's are included in it. I sure hope it works for you.
Let us know how well it works for you as I might just order myself a jar of it.

I hope the wrist brace also works....I know that mine helped when I needed to wear them. (I wore one on each wrist at one point and time). I also had elbow braces as well.

Have you also tried soaking your hand in Epsom salts or using hot wax therapy on them? I used both of these which did help for a while. I actually tried almost anything I could find that I thought might help. I think we all get to this point...when the pain get unbearable.

I hope summer weather will soon arrive in your area. I had hoped we would have a better spring....do not think it can get much hotter than it has been. They were talking about it raining for 13 Mondays so far....I knew we have had a lot of rain so far...did not know this though until yesterday. We have had our share of damp weather for sure.

I hope you will soon feel better....as I know just how much wrist pain can affect how you feel.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi

mnjeepguy replied to dollbug's response:
It is day one, but the Penetex took away the stabbing pains that activity brought on. With that and the brace I went from moderate pain to no pain for 4 hrs. before I reapplied it. My Maxfreeze roll on I keep at work helps too, but it doesn't last more than an hr or 2. I will keep you posted, thanks.

Bette_K replied to dollbug's response:
Hi all,

Hey, guess what? The trigger point injections on Monday must have done something magical. I fell asleep sometime between midnight and 1 a.m. then slept through until dh came to say he was going to plant corn. It was 11 a.m.! I haven't slept for more than 2 hours at a time in years--unless I had some major pharmaceutical help with Ambien. This time we focused on the neck, shoulders and upper back since the nerve blocks have the waist level spine pretty much covered. Whatever, it seemed to do the trick.

Would you believe it, Western NY is going to have 4 days in a row with NO rain. Oh, how I wish dh was done with planting and could use this time for hay. You cut it one day, fluff it up the next morning, and then bale it that afternoon. Hard to do when there are never 2 days in a row with no rain.

It's time to start making some potato salad to have on hand for quicker prep time when dh and # 1 son finally come in for supper. Only problem is the spuds from last year are all sprouted. Dh is the first to complain if I actually BUY any potatoes.

Cory, I'm glad that you've found something to help your hands and wrists. I know you need them--not just the way the rest of us do, but for your job. Can you wear the brace BEFORE your wrists hurt? Could it actually prevent some pain there? Prevention is great!

For the rest of you who are dealing with rain, rain, and more rain, we are getting some major humidity, cold nights (40's), and days that will inch up to seasonable by the weekend when, of course, the thunderstorms will be back.

Lou, how great to have time with the GSs, even "work parties" make memories. Lou, how wonderful it is for the young folks to have you for a proud aunt. I know my sons treasure their 4 aunts but have a special relationship with hubby's sister who has no children of her own but is one of the world's greatest aunts.

It's amazing how many of us have found relief with MiMi's vitamin D. I did not know that it was available in topical (applied to the skin as opposed to swallowing like a pill) form. That would get it just where you need it. Although, with something like D, we probably need it everywhere.

Hope you all have a great Wednesday.

Bette

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.