Skip to content
The Itch that doesn't stop
zippdee7 posted:
I used to think that this was just a dry skin issue. Been feeling this for quite some time, as in a few years. I really notice when I'm at work. Feel lilke I just want to drop and roll!

Is there anything that can help with this? Is this normal?

Thanks
Z
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Bette_K responded:
Z,

Sometimes, in our effort to go low fat or lose some weight we just go to far. Is it possible that you are not getting enough of the fats your body needs?

The skin is the first place you will see this deficiency. All the creams and lotions in the world won't help if your body needs you to add good fats to your diet.

Good fats include fatty fish like salmon, nuts, seeds, flaxseed. You can also add fish oil or flaxseed oil supplements for a little insurance.

Another thing that may be a problem is that your skin (that giant protective organ with lots and lots of pain sensors on it) may have been sensitized. A friend I met in aquatic therapy had to wear silk long underwear all year long because of this. She got some relief by seeing a skin desensitization therapist. (No, I have NO idea how you'd find one of those.) But you might try the silk long johns. (I can no longer wear nightgowns, but need long legged PJs all year long. I'm ok with silky nylon or polyester, though.)

Just some ideas. Hope some of them help.

Bette

Anon_10089 responded:
This problem seems to inflict a good portion of people with FM. I, thankfully, don't deal with this but many people here have talked about it. I'd encourage you to search for some of those old discussions. The doctor that used to answer questions here also addressed this.

I guess you'd also need to rule out allergies/hives. Have you tried benedryl or allergy medication?

This may not help at all, but I have come to love coconut oil for my skin. It not only is moisturizing, but it has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It's obviously different than lotions, so you may want to give something like that a try too.

debrabrooks1960 responded:
I agree with Betty. Be sure you are getting the right kids of good fats. Also be sure to drink plenty of water. Gold Bond anti-itch lotion works great for me when I am itching badly. Good luck in finding what will work for you.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

zippdee7 replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
It always feel like something is crawling on me. Just as I'm typing. Feel like a lot of crawling. Mostly noticeable in the upper part of the body and some in the exremities. I always drink very large as in 32 0z cups of water, at least twice, maybe three times a day.

I drink all the time. Like drinking fluids.

zippdee7 replied to debrabrooks1960's response:

Don't lack fats and oils either. Not on a diet. Hate diets. Need something, because I have gained even more weight these last few months.

missist replied to zippdee7's response:
Hi.. I had itching like crazy about 6 or 7 years back? (not sure exactly) I started to take zyrtec for other allergy type symptoms and a side effect seems to be that it also stopped the itch. I just take one at night.
Since i have allergy to molds, dustmites as well as to various pollens-- I take it year round.

It could be the fibro--or maybe a food allergy? or something entirely else--but perhaps an antihistamine would work. Get the generic if you try zyrtec-- cetrizine.

Its OTC now, used to be RX only when I got first got it.

Mary

zippdee7 replied to missist's response:

Allergy med ok to take with Lyrica, Daypro, Blood pressure meds, Tegretol? Drives me nuts. Can't ever scratch.

Z

I take the cetrizine- 1 ea night along with nortryptiline, gabapentin (kind of like lyrica), celebrex, amlodapine (blood pressure) and htcz (diuretic) so-- yah all that--but

My doctor knows all the drugs I take and every time I go in the nurse goes over the list to make sure all info is accurate. I even tell what vitamins I take.

Call your dr's office, ask to speak to a nurse or leave a message and find out if it is ok for you to take an antihistimine.

There is one catch with cetrizine/zyrtec-- I find if I miss a dose or 2, I get sort vertigo-- I think it is because of my ears.. but if I try to stop taking it altogether I itch. (neat)

Anyhow I still take it, been taking it for years, the allergies are still there so is the pill.

I don't like a lot of drugs-- really did not ever want to be using them--but its better than the alternative.

gotta play the hands we're dealt.
Mary

missist replied to missist's response:
Oh-- one other thing-- find out if any of the drugs you've been on long term might cause itching-- just in case-- sometimes you have to change an RX for something else when it doesn't work out.

zippdee7 replied to missist's response:

Thanks. That's good info. I'll ask at my next appointment. I bet my co-workers think I'm trying to dance here in my seat. Along with the occasional lightening strike feeling.

Z

I occassionally get jolts too. Seeing a neuro next month. I never heard of that as a fibro symptom--but why not?

ajnsmom replied to missist's response:
I got what I called "brain zaps" when I was either starting a new med or coming off of a med, I forget, but my doc wasn't concerned about it. It was really weird though and not fun as it would happen when I was going to sleep. So in other words, the symptom may be a reaction to meds and not necessarily a symptom of fibro. Please let us know what the neuro says about that. Thanks,

Linda

missist replied to ajnsmom's response:
that is very interesting Linda.. as my weird zaps/jolts and then sort of meandering numbness-- generally is when I'm in bed, asleep or almost asleep--and I think I could also link to new meds, or increase of dose or going off a med.

Very glad you mentioned that--cuz I thought it was super weird..but now I am thinking--huh.. its not just me.

thank you! I'm not going til the end of July--so not sure when I will know anything, but will sure try to remember that. I'll write it on my prayer list--then I will remember. my memory is horrendous lately.
mary

ajnsmom replied to missist's response:
My memory has been worse than normal this week, but my pain has been worse too, so I guess lack of sleep will do that to anybody. lol

Linda

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 213 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.