Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How old were you when you first got fibromyalgia?
Bette_K posted:
The books all talk about how fibro hits us at any age, but usually in the 20's and 30's. This means that most of us have to muddle on through fatigue, pain, fibrofog, and the disbelief of others during the years when we are expected to be at out best.

We complete our educations. We get jobs. We fall in love. We bear and raise children. We participate in church and community affairs. We support our extended families.

And we do all of this in spite of our fibromyalgia. We do what we have to do.

One day, perhaps years--or even decades--later we get a name for this thing that has been such a part of our lives: Fibromyalgia.

But, so far, this name is of little use to us. Does the naming of our malady mean that we now know its cause? Does it bring a definitive treatment? Does it bring universal understanding that we have a condition as debilitating as MS or diabetes--two other invisible illnesses what were once so misunderstood?

No. It does not.

Please take the poll below. Let's see how much of our lives FM is impacting.

Thank you for doing this. It means a lot to me.

Bette

fibrokathy responded:
I was 29 when I started developing symtoms. I was working full-time and stopped working when I had my first child. I am raising two children while having fibromyalgia; one is 19 and the other is 13. I am 49. Fortunately, I did not work during most of those years, but have gone back to work in the last couple of years on a part-time basis. Life with fibro can be very hard, especially the winter months. I have been very present in my children's lives, but I have pushed myself and suffered through a lot of pain.

I would not want to go back in time and am quite happy with my children getting older ( the older one is in college). My fibro pain is still very active and the medications that are available really are not that helpful to me. I continue to keep doing my research and try new things as they become available. I hope a cure is found in my lifetime.

debrabrooks1960 responded:
I was 51 years old when I was diagnosis with FM. I think I have had it since I was 41 years old, maybe even younger. In my 20's I could clean my entire house top to bottom in one day. And still have energy to go out that night to dance. I could never do all that now. I got married when I turned 41 and I started having a lot of stress. Plus I was in a bad car wreck when I was 41. I think all that stress started my fibro. It was not until I could not sleep and would cry at the thought of getting up out of bed to use the bathroom at night. I was so exhausted and sore that I could barely move.

Now I have gotten rid of the husband and a lot of the stress. Sadly the pain and exhaustion has not gotten much better yet. But I can always hope!

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Anon_10089 replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
I believe I have had since childhood, even perhaps since birth. I had a lot of pain as a kid and have always had insomnia. I remember laying in my bed for hours every night as a child and waking up often throughout the night.

I somehow functioned okay as a kid and was normal socially and excelled in school. My sister and I both had back issues and so I think my parents thought any of our pain came from those (I'm sure much of it did).

I also think I naturally paced myself and I took naps everyday--even through high school. My symptoms really started interfering with my life in my early 20's. I think it's just because I had the normal pressures of adulthood.

I am now in my early 30's and at the point where I really want kids but I know my husband is very nervous about it and on some of my bad days I wonder how I could make it work. He deals with some mental health issues and so he would have a hard time picking up slack But it's something I'm not yet willing to give up to FM. My window is quickly closing though, so we need to figure it out soon!

ajnsmom responded:
I got fibro when I was 45. I'm very thankful that it didn't happen when I was younger!

Linda

dollbug responded:
Hello Bette.....good poll....but actually I have no idea when I truly *got blessed or cursed with the wrath of the dragon*.....I was always on the go. I worked a fulltime/partime jobs off and on since I was 14. I had quite a bit of sickness when I was young and I had a lot of stress as well. So as I think about this....I really do not know how long I have had *signs of it*.

I do know that I started having hand issues with my hands at the end of 2003....had my first right hand carpal tunnel surgery in July 2004....it helped for a short period of time....but soon came back and was actually worse than it had been. Eventually it also appeared in my left hand. I had my first left hand carpal tunnel surgery in Dec 2005.

I do know that I continued to have back hand/wrist pain until I fell and broke my right hand which had to be repaired with a plate and pins....after my healing process I knew that I was so much better off than I had been for a long time.

I know I also had lots of pain with my left hand until I ended up breaking it when the surgeon had to operate on it and put a plate and pins in it as well. He kidded me about it earlier and jokingly asked me if I wanted him to break the left wrist and repair it. Nope, I don't think so.
Much later though it happened and he was able to repair it as well. I never quite understood just why it took a plate and pins to *fix my pain*. I do NOT have the strength in either of my hands though that I once did. I am so thankful though that I no longer have the pain that I had at one time. I know that along the way I tried anything and everything to ease my pain. Nothing worked for long though.

I was 54 when my problems began with this....I woke up one day and thought I was getting the flu. I was recovering from my left hand surgery. I had to be in a full cast for over 9 weeks. The surgeon had to do more than he expected to do.

And by the way....the surgeon who actually *fixed my pain* was not the same ones who did my carpal tunnel surgery.
Perhaps him opening up the area and actually seeing what had happened was why he was able to actually *fix* it.
I do not know.

Good poll though and the article which someone shared was a good article too.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.