Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Study--Good News For Us
Anon_10089 posted:
A new study was just published that links FM with certain nerves in the palm of our hands. It is a super interesting study and, if completely proven, will finally give us biological markers for FM. Here's the link:

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/06/19/skin-abnormality-may-prove-biological-basis-for-fibromyalgia/56233.html

Of course, I still believe that FM is a very complicated issue and the above study may not explain why some people seem to get FM after a trauma. But this could be an amazing breakthrough!

debrabrooks1960 responded:
That was a very interesting article. It made a lot of sence. I wander if having carple tunnel in your hands/wrist could make FFM worse. I have had it in both hands and had surgery on both hands. It sure does give me something to think about. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

dollbug replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
Hello.....I was finally able to copy and past the link and then search for it to finally appear. Do not know why.

I read it twice and still do not quite understand all of it. I do find it quite interesting though that it now reports there are 10 million people affected by FM.....so there are quite a few of us FMers.

As most of you know I am one here who has indeed had major problems with carpal tunnel as well....actually have had 7 hand surgeries but 2 were for repairing my broken wrists where I fell outside and broke each one at different times. I continued to have problems from 2004 until I recovered from my broken wrist surgery. I continued to have pain with the hands/wrist until the doctor repaired the broken bones with a plate and pins in both....I truly thought that when he did this, he did something to separate the nerves which was causing pain issues in my hands. I still do not quite understand all of just how this happened.

I also find it interesting that the article refers to *inflammation* as well....because I have thought for a long time that this is a part my problem. I know that when I had my right elbow surgery....the surgeon told me that my elbow was very red, swollen and inflamed and he had no idea what had caused this. For months when I was recovering from the surgery I thought for sure that whatever had caused this in the right elbow that I was also going to have it in the left elbow as well. But then I started taking Omegas and doing other things hoping to prevent this. Well....don't know IF I did something or it just *cleared up on its on*...but for whatever reason, the elbow settled down. I still on occasion have little *spells* with it....but nothing major. (I am quite thankful for this)

Thanks for sharing the article. I am going to put a poll up and just see if there is any response.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to dollbug's response:
I found that very interesting. Hope it leads to some help. I wonder if they will find this to be the case in other places in the body.

I have had definite swelling/stiffness in 3 places in particular-- hands/wrists; ankle/feet area & behind my neck --neck/upper back.

I always note that the swelling in those areas seems as if it effects a lot more-- like when my neck is flared so is my wrist and I have pain down the arms into fingers.

I have carpal tunnel too-- but also OA in hands. (everywhere I think)

I feel the stiffness coming on about 1 pm each day. One reason I was thinking I maybe need just one more celebrex a day. I take it 2x a day now.

Well g'nite y'all.. sounds promising.
Mary

Anon_2912 responded:
Never had nor have issues with my hands in anyway.

missist replied to Anon_2912's response:
Anon--- you don't need to have a hand issue per se-- the idea here is that these nerve endings in the skin of the hands may be the cause of pain all over the body--as well as brain issues. That's what is exciting about this news.

I did not have hand pain until more than 20 years after I got fibro-- It changes so much over time--so you may yet have it, lucky you.

this link has photos showing normal & fibromyalgia-- its like you can SEE fibromyalgia for the first time, other than the brain scans.

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/fibromyalgia_not_all_head_its_skin_paper_concludes-114985

dollbug replied to missist's response:
Hello.....when I had shoulder/arm/elbow and hand pain.....it was really the neck disc which were messed up....I never had any pain in the neck at all. I was actually quite surprised when the doctor told me that he was sending me for a MRI of the neck area. The neurosurgeon told me that the nerves cross in the neck area though which go to all of the places....I know that he hoped once he fixed the cervical problems that all of my pain would be taken care of. Well....at least the main part disappeared.....I still ended up having elbow surgery and carpal tunnel surgery at the same time after the cervical surgery.

So I guess we really never know just what is causing our pain. Seems like it came come from another part entirely.

Our bodies are like *maps* and we have to learn how to make our way around, hopefully going in the right direction....otherwise, we just might be in BIG TROUBLE.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Bette_K replied to Anon_2912's response:
Anon,

It does not matter where our FM begins, although this news about the hands is very interesting.

No matter where it begins, FM screws up our neurological connections. We feel pain from things that would not really bother others. We transmit pain signals from nerve endings that used to feel things like a light touch or the temperature of the air on our skin. These nerve cells have been transformed into pain sensors.

Once the pain signals reach the dorsal root ganglia--the branches on either side of the spinal cord--they are amped up by substance P and other neurochemicals that make our brain think the pain is even worse.

At the same time, our brain is not sending other neurochemicals back down the spinal column. These substances would have (if they had been released by our FM affected brains) toned down these pain signals.

Perhaps this whole cascade of missent signals and having the wrong chemicals working in our bodies began in the many, many sensory cells in our hands. (After all our hands do explore all sorts of sensations for us--hot, warm, cold, soft, hard, furry, bald, sharp, dull, and countless others.) This means tht we start out with many different types of nerve cells in our hands and lots and lots of them. If different types of sensors in our hands started to change into cells that could only sense pain, they could overload the whole system and cause it to go into a panic like state of "Pain, pain. Where is the pain? Send out more pain sensors! Search the whole body." Sort of like an attack in Star Wars. And if lots and lots of pain sensors are sent throughout the body to look for pain--sensors that can only detect pain--they will find pain. Dr. I. Jon Russell likens it to dropping a ping pong ball on your foot and the sensors telling you it was a bowling ball.

And it could have all started in your hands.

Bette

missist replied to Bette_K's response:
I just really find it interesting that here is a puzzle piece that seems like it can connect to another one. I've been praying that the research would just explode. There's a few things I'd like it to lead to--awareness of the reality of the disease, vindication for those who have suffered for years and had to deal with unkindness, stupid remarks & doctors that were less than helpful, That we'd know what is wrong and why- and that from the knowledge would come some sort of treatment that works or a cure.

So I am praying for that cuz I think many of us--are almost as much bent under this mess because of other people as we are from the pain & fatigue & symptoms. Making it 'visible' could help all of us.

Hope that more puzzle pieces come together quickly.

Anon_10089 replied to missist's response:
It's good to see these new studies that are actually valuable to us. The whole "weather doesn't affect FM study" seems like such a waste to me. It seems a simple survey of people with FM would prove that weather does affect us.

On the other hand, it's exciting to see a study that could actually be pinpointing the root cause. The fact that money is being spent on research proves that doctors/researchers believe in FM.

I am also sometimes scared when some of these studies pop up that may lead to medical tests that diagnose FM. I feel like FM is such a complicated condition. I believe that there are different types of FM. For example, some have lowered immunity and get sick a lot while some of us (myself included) are pretty healthy outside of the constant pain and fatigue. There might be some differences in what's going wrong in our bodies. Would these tests be able to take that into consideration?

We know that we can have vastly different symptoms and I think it could harm people who have true chronic pain but might not have abnormalities in these tests. I guess my fear is that I'd have one of these tests, and the results would come back normal.

Whatever the case, it's good to see that there is attention to FM and hopefully some progress is being made.

booch007 replied to Anon_10089's response:
Thank yoou for finding and posting this article.

It seems like a small study and would need alot more to move forward, but I too am excited when I see what is going on behind the scenes.

We are a tremendous financial force to tap into. They have to have alot of research out there to help us. As with Savella and it's new research. IT will come, hope in my lifetime.

I am with people who believe and nurture so I am lucky, my doctor is younger than me and that is a good thing too . she won't retire and I lose my therapy.

Again, thank you for the post. I have alot of hand problems and the root of cause is the muscles in the schoulder girdle that impinge on the nerve roots. But I take this info and stick in my Temporal lobe of my brain and will remember it.

Thanks, Nancy B

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.