Skip to content
PLEASE NEED SOME INFO ABOUT FIBRO MEDS
honeybun3 posted:

I've had health insurance coverage through my husband, but he walked out on our family a year ago...he abandoned us. I prolonged my divorce for as long as I could in order to keep my health insurance.

I was using Medco , the mail order pharmacy, to receive my medication every 90 days. It cost me $500 -$600 each three months for all 8 of my meds.

Our divorce was recently finalized... so I'm losing all of my health insurance and prescription plans as of June 30th. I'm medically retired and on disability. I did get Medicare's Part A and just received the Medicare Part B since the divorce. I've been looking at prescription plans for my Part D. But I'm having major problems !

All of the plans don't cover a few of my scripts. Some are outrageously expensive! I have 8 different meds I have to take on a daily basis.
It's going to cost me over $1300 dollars per month just for the medications... (that's on a good month I might add) . They say I draw too much to receive help. But they don't count the debt that was left for me to pay after the divorce was final. I in no shape ,form, or fashion can afford this... And I must have my medications !

I have even checked into trying to purchase a private plan like Blue Cross and Blue Shield as well as some other private insurance companies. But they say I am unsurable.

Medicare said the only other option I would have would be to contact the one's who make the medications, and ask if there's any way I can receive some help from them.

Do any of you have any ideas or suggestions for me?

Sincerely ...and Thank You in advance....

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....sorry you are dealing with so much right now.....I think it would indeed be a good idea to contact the company who makes the medicines and see if they can offer you any support at all, maybe a very low cost plan. It would certainly be worth the time and effort for you to do this.

It is sad that you did not have a provision of your divorce for your DH to keep you on the insurance you had for a while until you could figure this out.

You do not say what medicines you are on but perhaps they have a generic of whatever it is and you can try it to see if it would work for you and cost you less money.

I am sure that you will soon find something though that will solve the issue.

In the meantime, I hope you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and see if you can perhaps find other tools that might help you as well.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to dollbug's response:
Hi Honeybun!

A couple ideas..

first--when I have a drug that is too darn much $ I talk it over with my dr. sometimes there are older drugs that do very well in generic--and you can get generics from Walmart & some other places for about $4 a month.

I had to do that for a few drugs.

Another thing--if you are disabled and were left debt in your divorce-- talk to a bankruptcy lawyer-- find one that will give a free or cheap consultation. That is just impossible to manage in your situation-- the law has some help for that.

God Bless & I will add you to my prayer list.

mary

missist replied to missist's response:
Oh also-- when my Mom was suffering so much her last couple years and broke on SS-- she got a lot of meds as samples from drs.. so be sure to talk to the drs and even contact the drug companies if needed. Look 'em up online.

Bette_K responded:
Oh, Honeybun,

Have you checked into your state's Medicaid program? I know that in NY it's possible to get help if your medical costs pull your adjusted gross income down to the poverty level.
Your costs sound like they'd fit the bill.

Other than that, you'll have to call each one of your medications' manufacturer to ask about some kind of subsidy. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but the truth is what you need.

Believe me, if my husband passes away before I do, I'll be in exactly the same shape you are in now. It is frightening and definitely not something to help you live the stress-free life that could lower your fibro pain.

I'm sure there will be lots more ideas from our wonderful members. Gosh, we've got the best bunch of people here.

Welcome aboard!

Bette

honeybun3 replied to Bette_K's response:
I hope I'm replying in the correct spot. I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back to you all but I had lost my password, lol...

Thank each of u for all the suggestions and caring words! Looks like I have some work to do with the pharmaceutical companies. I will keep you all posted as to how it goes. If anyone has more suggestions please get in touch.

Btw. ..I use to be on here many years ago with all u wonderful Fibromyalgia folks. I knew where I had to come for answers.

Thanks and GOD BLESS EACH OF YOU!

Honeybun

"020 I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me... "020

honeybun3 replied to honeybun3's response:
I have no idea what that 020 is on the bottom of my last reply... I'm using my phone and it looked like a cross. Once it posted it came out 020...

booch007 responded:
Honey bun,

I just did this leg work for patients in the office that can't afford the chemo we use for their bladder cancer. It is run by the pharmeceutical companies....I am hoping it is not just for NY. I would think not.

It is done by income and I have to tell you it covers 6 or 8 medications a month for 80.00 copay.!! I am sorry I don't have my work books home with me this weekend but I promise you that i will post this information next weekend.

You set up a chart with them then the perscriptions go through them. There are quite a few programs out there but if you don't have a social worker or nurse in your pocket to know they exist...you are at a loss.

so I PROMISE TO PUT IT UP NEXT WEEK. Breathe we can figure this out. .

I must also say, she asked what meds I needed for these patients and she said YES they are on the list, so maybe not all meds can be helped with. In that case it is time to alter the meds to the closest generic or similar class medication with your doctor. If not covered then you find out from the company that makes your med....say Parke Davis and you call them and see about assistance to stay on their medication. There is always an avenue..

See if the MD has samples to help you through this window of time until you get going here.....I will try to get back on the computer before the weekend but it is so hard after work to do more then sit and rest everything I own!. Keep an eye out.

Always hugs, Nancy B

booch007 replied to honeybun3's response:
OK honey bun,
I wrote a large paragragh with assistance and it collided with Mim's opening note for the day and I lost it. .

There is a program I found for my patients with low income and in need of cancer therapy for their bladders. I don't have my work books home with me so I will get it up on here soon.

Good luck, nancy

It is 80.00 a month for 6-8 perscritions. Meds need to be on the list and she is wonderful to talk to (very empathetic).

I will get the info to all who are interested..........nan

ajnsmom replied to honeybun3's response:
Hi Honeybun,

It's always a good idea to let your doctor know that you cannot afford the medications. I think someone already mentioned that there may be older medications that would do the same things. And as far as the debts are concerned, you may be able to be protected under bankruptcy laws, depending on your personal decision on whether to file or not. I pray that you will get the help that you need, because coping with fibro is bad enough, and I think many of us have been where you are as far as debts too.

Linda S.

honeybun3 replied to booch007's response:
I'm so sorry that I have not been on here to reply back to you all. I've been in the process of moving and with so much going on I'm overwhelmed ...I'm not gonna lie!
I would appreciate the number that you're talking about Booch007. Sounds very promising! I appreciate everyone's caring comments .
I have not found anything out yet so please any info would be greatly appreciated . I've got to get a prescription plan and I mean QUICK!!!

God Bless each of you...y'all are such a Blessing!
Thank you,
Honeybun3

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.