Skip to content
Burning Pain
DublinGirl posted:
Hi All,

I've a new symptom and not sure how to deal with it. I have a burning pain in my neck, arms and hands and my skin feels on fire. It feels like someone is slow roasting me over a flame, but I'm not hot in areas where I don't have cramps and it's a dry heat, I'm not perspiring.

I have a knot in my shoulder on my left side (my weak side) that feels like someone has stuck a hot poker straight down through me.

Anti inflammatories and tiger balm not working, infact the latter makes it worse with the added warmth it gives off. Stretching makes it worse as does walking or any light exercise, but if I sit still I cramp up all over.

I don't have access to the same meds you guys mostly have in the US, I'm in Ireland. Any advice gratefully accepted or if you've experienced it too and I'm not losing my mind it would help to know it. I'm a bit stressed at the moment which isn't helping either so I know the two are linked, but this feels like a big jump in the pain register.

Thanks everyone and I hope you're having a better day than me.

Rxx

Bette_K responded:
Here in the US most of us with burning type pain are treated with Neurontin (gabapentin) a medication used to treat neuropathic pain. Many diabetics use this for their neuropathies.

What does your doctor say about this burning pain? It sounds like neuropathy to me, but what do I know.

Do cool compresses help with your pain? They might help with the burning.

That just gave me an idea. Is there any chance you have a bad sunburn? Most of the Irish-Americans I know have very fair skin. It burns so easily that one friend wears long sleeves all summer. She has a wonderful collection of really broad-brimmed sun hats too! First aid for sunburn is vinegar or a spent tea bag after it has cooled down.

Hope you achieve relief soon. When you do, please let us know what worked for you. This way we can all help each other.

Towards better days,

Bette

missist replied to Bette_K's response:
I would try some ice.
Also be sure to tell your doctor. Just because you have fibromyalgia it doesn't mean you couldn't also have neuropathy or MS perhaps.

Mary

franr responded:
Hi Dublin Girl
Try to make an appointment with your MD. You could have a pinch nerve that causing all the pressure.This can cause burning pain.Until you see the MD try massage. Maybe the therapist can work at those muscles and bring some relief. Let us know how you are feeling.
Fran

DublinGirl replied to franr's response:
Thanks all for your repsonses, I never thought of it being a pinched nerve and I neuropathy is a new one on me too. I'll look into them.

Unfortunatley Bette it's not sunburn, I'm just as pale as normal, the weather here is awful.

I woke up this morning and it was relieved a good bit, I can still feel it but it's nowhere near as bad as it was over the weekend and I can feel that heavy dead weight has lifted a bit too, so I feel able to start going for my walks again, that always helps, but I will investigate the pinched nerve aspect, because that would explain the light numbness and light tingling in both arms.

It's funny how when you're in the middle of it it's an unsurmountable problem, but once the fog begins to lift you can see things a bit more clearly.

Thank you all for replying to me, as always your help and advice is gratefully appreciated.

Rachael xx

DublinGirl replied to DublinGirl's response:
Fran you may have hit the nail on the head. My arms don't feel like they belong to me today, I don't know who owns them but I'm not surprised they gave them away as they don't work properly and feel very dodgy. Off to the Doctor again with me. I think he thinks I fancy him I spend so much time there.... only joking, he takes me seriously.

Thanks for the advice

Rachael x

missist replied to DublinGirl's response:
LOL. I definitely do not fancy mine. The old coot.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.