Skip to content
Prescription Errors *****
dollbug posted:
Hello FMily....so I picked up DH's medicine which the doctor called in....got home and was talking to DH about this and he could NOT understand why the doctor prescribed it....It was supposed to be to renew his gout medicine....but instead it was Lorazepam. So I guess someone made a BIG error. Called the physician's office and had to leave a message....it is all automated....I hate calling a telephone # and it is for this punch this for that punch this....GOOD GRIEF.....doesn't anyone answer the telephone any longer????? I guess not.

So at the end of all of the transfers it said it could take up toe 48 hours.....OMG.....I already called the drug store to make sure that this was really what was ordered.....and it was checked and verified that it was.

Don't think so. So I am sharing this with you for a reminder....know what the doctor to ordering for you....with medical technology today and no paper prescriptions we have to know exactly what medicines we are suppose to be getting/taking.

Maybe....someone will figure this out. I am not sure that the doctor will be happy with this....(they do NOT like mistakes-and I am one to point them out).

When I broke my wrist and had to have surgery....a student (wanna be doctor, I guess) came in and pulled out a glove and pulled out all of them which dropped to the floor....the bad thing was that he picked them up and stuffed them back in the box.....OMG....I about died.....and when the survey sheet was sent to me to grade them.....well, you can bet I did and they DID NOT LIKE IT....well, I don't know IF he continued on or not....but no doubt, someone spoke to him about what he did. (IF he did this in front of me, what on earth might he do when no one can see him?) It was NOT a good thing at all.

OK....I will now end my complaining....I just had to vent about this.

It might be the heat here....as it is humid and HOT, HOT, HOT.

I hope it is cooler in your corner of the world.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Mimi - I am glad your husband caught the mistake. My grandmother died because the hospital gave her the wrong medication. The medication shut her kidneys down. She was 98 years old, but in pretty good heallth for her age. She was not able to recover from the mistake and died. That hospital took her away from us. We do not know how much longer she would have lived without that mistake, but even another year would have been better than knowing her life was cut short because of a mistake. My dad tried to hire a lawyer but no one would take the case because grandma was already so old. So it really scares me when I hear about mistakes like this.

Take care,
Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Anon_10089 replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
It is a good reminder to always be our own best advocate. If we're unable to, like if we're under anesthesia, then a trusted friend or family member should be there at all times and understand our meds.

My mom had a hysterectomy when I was 8. She is Type 1 diabetic. The nurse drew a syringe full of insulin--probably 2 to 3 times the amount my mom takes. She held it up in front of my still groggy mother (who is close to obsessive about her health and meds in her normal state) and asked if it "looked right." My mom said yes. Thankfully, my dad was there and wouldn't let her administer it. He even got attitude from the nurse but held his ground until they checked her chart (novel idea!). That amount of insulin probably would have killed her.

Many people in the medical field are doing a job, after all. I know they are often caring people, but we all make mistakes at our jobs. Good reminder to double check for ourselves, thank you Mimi!

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.