Skip to content
Mimi
booch007 posted:
A lazy hazy crazy day of SUMMER...here.

I was just reading down the list of posts.....What happened with the Lorazepam script for your husband and the GOUT issue??

I am so interested as escripting is the norm now with the new law of Electronic Medical Records. I can't even think of a gout med named similar...that he could have miss picked when he chose his med.

You type in the name, or partial name and then choose a dose then the script signature of 1 a day, 2 a day...etc and sign in the end after review.

I am so interested in this. Let me know. Thanks, Nancy B

dollbug responded:
Hello Nana B....well....what a web that is weaved....after several days and speaking to several people....someone called me back and told me that the PA made the *mistake*....supposedly realize it right away and called the pharmacy right back to *cancel* the prescription and reorder the prescription for gout that he has been taking....so I guess someone at CVS did NOT do what they should have done, although I have no proof of what really happened. I am quite sure that no one will ever *admit* to it anyway, actually I was quite shocked that the PA admitted it....my DH has been a patient for many years there. The woman told me that she was going to call them and get it straightened out. It has been a couple of days and I have NOT heard anything concerning the issue.

You know....this could have been a VERY BAD ISSUE....modern day technology is good BUT it is only as good as the people who are using it. I am not quite sure that I agree using it for ordering medicines though.

I have learned that PEOPLE make MISTAKES....and actually I think there are lots of them which are never caught....I do not think this will ever change. But I guess the people who have put in place the modern day technology have not thought about what exactly this can/might bring. What about those people who do not pay attention to the name of the medicine that the doctor is going to give them. (I know sometimes I have a hard time remembering this)....but I can go home and look it up on the computer, with a prescription in hand.

Nana B....I can only hope that this will be the last *thing* I have to deal with....it would be/could be a *pie of cake*....as long as we caught it. But that is just me.

Take care....and I hope you can recoup today.

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

booch007 responded:
Morning,

Technology is here to stay. The government has now made all of us use EMR's (electronic medical records) it is the LAW. You will be fined if you do not have an EMR by next year. I have mentioned this is what I am spending my hours putting each case in the computer and starting the charts off well.

I have found so many medical errors, whether by hand, memory of the staff....wrong scanning in the chart and OR reports saying wrong things. IT is amazing to me.

It takes time to do the footwork to be sure the data is CORRECT this time around. One OR report was the wrong valve in the heart...I knew Aortic and they had Mitral...I had to read the echo to see what was SEEN to be sure what I placed in there.

Columbia has a team that does quality assurance to be sure the charts are kept accurate as well. PEOPLE are more complicated and other specialties are in there adding and changing too. It is complex.

What I like is the Rx area in this chart....they are alphabetical and when the diagnosis and problem list are active and in use the meds follow. To refill a med it is a click by the doctor and a signature and it is in the pharmacy in seconds.

It will be an issue if he picked the wrong one in the list....

When I first got ill here my meds were the soma and Valium for the muscles at night.....CVS filled the Valium Rx as if it were the Soma and I got 90 tabs and it was supposed to be 10....they gave me 10 Soma. Now how is that when the hand written scripts had the numbers on them corrct? That was human error. I called the pharmacist right away as his narcotic count would be sooo off. I returned and they fixed it.

WRITTEN is so much more dangerous as the handwriting is so bad at times. I do print a page and walk to the attending to say "WHAT?" and at times they don't even know what they wrote!

So I like typing and electronic and clear practice......I just have to remind the staff to keep all the differnet parts of the chart cohesive with the other. Columbia will do the same.

As a new problem......put it in the problem list...changed a meds dose...change it in the medicine area.(not just in your narative note). It can be great!

Well glad to hear they fixed it and who it started with.

NancyB

dollbug replied to booch007's response:
Hello Nana B....you are so right....when I worked in the loan servicing job that I did for 14 years....I had to correct so much there....I found out though that *garbage in, garbage out*....now mine did not have anything to do with people's health, but it did impact their financial lives....ERRORS could cause major problems in people's mortgage escrow account....from closing to present, if they are NOT caught and fixed....so many of the errors happened when the loans got set up....people in a hurry and/or not paying attention to what they are doing.

The taxes and insurance portion can be such a BIG MESS....one number transposed can mess in things for years....paying someone else's taxes and insurance and leaving the one whose money it was to begin with not being paid at all perhaps.

So much of this starts with *communication and training*....and people not proof reading and reviewing what they entered into the computer.....a computer is on as good as the operator. There are some people who do NOT even need to be doing this sort of work.

I guess this is what makes the world go round though....I can not even believe though just how much this could affect people's health though. A BIGGIE.

This is WHY it is so important that PEOPLE TAKE NOTE and watch *EVERYTHING*....double check behind any and all things....not only medical issues, but bills and bank statements and anything and everything that is number related. Mistakes happen and someone needs to make sure that things are right.

And then I have to wonder *about the food we eat*....do we really know what we are allowing to enter our bodies? Something else to worry about. OMG...this is another soap box.

Take care and I hope you have a good day.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.