Skip to content
Tips for Cooking?
missist posted:
Does anyone have favorite tips for making healthy meals when you are dead tired? How do you stay on top of meal time? Especially when you have company or a houseful of folks?

Thanks!
Mary

katmandulou responded:
Healthy meals don't have to be "everything is fresh and has to be cooked from scratch" meals. There are some good products - beef patties, chicken breasts, pot roasts, ham, shrimp, frozen veggies - that have been cooked then frozen, and you can whip up a tasty dinner in almost no time. Planning is key, and you might decide to cook one thing and have everything else ready to be cooked/thawed/warmed in the microwave.

You could also find a few fave recipes that are quick to make, so make them when you're feeling well. If you're cooking for one, two or 10, almost every recipe can be made and frozen for later.
When you have visitors, enlist their help. When I stay with people I always ask what I can help with. Children can put a salad together if an adult does the cutting. I can stir, wash dishes, etc.

I hope this helped!
Lou

missist replied to katmandulou's response:
thanks!
I am thinking what is hard for me when the house is full--is the noise!

I cannot think and feel stressed, also I have a very small kitchen so I tend to give up if anyone is in there 'helping' I end up letting them do it all.. don't like that.

I guess I need to have more things planned and frozen ahead, etc. BEFORE company comes--probably way before, cuz I know I'll be cleaning too.

debrabrooks1960 responded:
I love using my crock pot. I can make a lot and freeze some or make just enough for one meal. I am a big believer in freezing meals ahead of time. I put them in divider plates that comes with a lid. I will cook a big meal one day and have enough to freeze one or two days worth of meals left over. Then on days I am very tired or hurting, I can just pop a plate in the microwave. I also love frozen meals that you buy at the store. So many good meals are beiing made in bags. You just heat and eat. I never really cook for large crowds so I am not able to help you there. Good luck.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Bette_K replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
Debbie,

You read my mind. Between the crock pot (and have you tried the Reynolds crock pot liners--no cleanup!) and the freezer there is no way you should ever have to worry about "what's for dinner?" on a bad day.

My husband and his "girlfriends" (neighbors who appreciate him buying the seeds, plowing, and rototilling our garden and do all the weeding and picking) supply us with lettuce and other salad greens in the summer along with beans, beets, broccoli, and sweet corn for the freezer. They can tomatoes and pickles and applesauce and peaches supplying all ingredients. We get 1 jar from each batch. The girls take turns and everyone gets some of everything (including the work). When we add this to our farm-grown beef and pork and the potatoes and onions stocked in the cellar, we are really ready to do almost anything all year long.

All hubby has to do is bring me the fixings to throw in the crock pot. If he forgets something, I can always open a can or two of soup.

Bette

Anon_10089 replied to Bette_K's response:
Sometimes paying a little more at the store, if we can, can help. I like to keep sliced lunch meat (nitrate free!) and even pre-sliced cheese on hand. Usually my husband takes this for his lunches and I don't have to prepare anything. I also like to have some soups on hand but will also spend a little more there for higher quality ones. I also buy those lettuce bags that already have the lettuce prepared, instead of doing it myself. One of my favorite meals is homemade roast beef. I get a cut of roast that oven bakes in low temperatures for a couple hours. It really only takes me maybe a minute to prepare, and we can usually eat off it for almost a week. Spending a little more at the store is still cheaper than eating out.

On that note, my husband and I probably pick up food or go out more often than we should, but I'm glad that my husband understands when I don't want to cook!

Anon_2912 responded:
Cook, what is that?? LOL...

I keep tuna cans, deli meat, bread & chips at all times. I also have bacon, eggs, little sausages to roll up in the crescent rolls.

I have 3 sisters and a niece coming in for a girls only movie weekend..My husband will make himself scarce or be at work. My 19 your old son will be at his g/f lake grounds.

My sister eat that or they will always cook if they want, they are more happy to go for it...And they usually do..

They know I don't cook...sometimes we will go out to eat once while they are here...

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.