Skip to content
NUMB ARMS AND A GNAWING PAIN IN ARMS
Samba5569 posted:
Hi, I haven't written on a blog before but have started to feel very alone with my condition. I am 34, eat healthy foods and exercise. I am not sure yet what is wrong with me, I've had a neck MRI, electromyography test and many other tests and doc appointments. At night I started getting numb arms on and off all night, over the last mine months it has progressed to an aching pain in my arms and hands most of the day and a tingling to the left side of my neck. My ankles have also started aching at times. Is this familiar to anyone? My tests have shown nothing and I am more than frustrated with it all. Thanks in advance.

Take the Poll

Do I have Fibromyalgia?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

dollbug responded:
Hello Samba and welcome....MiMi in NC....no, you are not alone. I have actually read that there are millions of people who have the wrath of the dragon, aka FM.

At one point and time I also had pain in my right shoulder, elbow and down my arm, actually including my hands and fingers as well. I did not have neck pain at the time but par of my pain was from cervical discs. I actually was in so much pain that I was unable to wash my hair or bush my teeth. There are nerves which cross over on the back of our neck area and the neurosurgeon explained to me that sometimes when these get messed up it can affect your entire shoulder area down to your fingers. He was hoping that once he did my cervical surgery that it would take care of all my pain. Well, after my surgery I was able to use my arm but I still had elbow and hand pain. My shoulder pain though went away.

Eventually, he did elbow surgery and carpal tunnel surgery on me as well. It took over 2 years for my elbow to heal. Once it healed my pain vanished.

OK...so I am assuming since you had a MRI that you do not have disc problems. I know though that when I had carpal tunnel problems I would wake up at night and my right arm would be asleep...(numb and very heavy).
Have you had an EMG yet?

I also want to now tell you about what I have just found out recently. Some people who have issues with carpal tunnel, lower back pain and kidney stones as well have problems with processing Vitamin B 6. I have had all of these plus Morton's Toe as well. (you might want to google this and read about it)...anyway....I have found that taking P5P has all but taken my lower back pain away, as long as I take it on schedule.

I might also tell you that I had no idea that not being able to process Vitamin B 6 would cause these problems.

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask the doctor to check your Vitamin D level as well....since this is really important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause some of us additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well.

I hope you will check out the info here under *tips* and *resources*....as I am sure you will find other *tools* that might help you cope better.

I will tell you that it does take a *trial and error process* to find the right combination of tools that will help you cope better. What works for one may or may not work for another....as we are all different.

By all means....do not give up....continue to try different things until you find what works for you.

I hope this helps get you started.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Samba5569 replied to dollbug's response:
MiMi it was really refreshing to hear from you. Wow you have had a tough time hey. Good that you are better now. Just to answer your questions, I have had an MRI and this was for my neck and it only showed a bit of a fluid lump which apparently wouldn't be anything to worry about and wouldn't affect my arms or neck. I have another MRI coming up at the end of the month which is for my cervical spine and brachial plexus. Hopefully something will show which can be sorted. I have has an EMG and this showed I have remarkable strength in my hands so I guess no carpal tunnel. I have tested abnormal twice for high vitamin b12 but no one thinks is related, apparently only numbness occurs if lacking in B12. I have had lots of blood tests but will check with my consultant if I've had vitamin D tests as my identical twin is low with this at the moment.

Thank you for the advice I will look more on here. Only other differences I thought I'd mention- I don't get elbow or shoulder pain much it's more aches in my hands and sometimes feels like someone is digging hands into my muscles at the top of my arms, I believe this is the median nerve.

I am pleased to hear you have found ways around this and will look into options of how to do this. Funny how someone named it the dragon it is very apt. Anyway THANKYOU again!!!are you in NYC? Xx

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.