Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Crystal9902 ***welcome ***
dollbug posted:
Hello Crystal and welcome. You posted on a very old post and I decided to reply to you on a new one. I am sorry that you are having to deal with so much right now. I am glad you have found this support group and I am sure that soon you will find something that will help you cope better. It is sad that you lost your job. I hope you plan to apply for disability and I hope that your doctor will be behind you.

I hope that you will check out the info under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the member toolbox as well.

I would like to encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level and your Vitamin B's as well. It seems like a lot of people with FM have problems with this. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I am sure you will find the right combination of tools that will help you cope better.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Dear Crystal,
Welcome to our FM family. I have been visiting here for about a year. I have come to care for this family as if they were really my real family. I hope you come to feel that too. I have learned so much from everyone here. My favorite was hot showers, heating pad and Stopain Rollon (you can also get the spray). Stopain is sold at Walmart. It really eases the sharp shooting pains that never seem to go away. The heating pad on the lower back helps with restless legs and leg pain. I love hot showers. Sometimes I will take 2-3 a day. They help me to relax so I can fall asleep. It is along journey to find what will work for you. It is also wonderful to have so many nice people that understand what you are going through and do not judge you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. We really do care.

Soft hugs,
Debbie Lewis
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Crystal9902 responded:
hi Mimi, thank you for replying! sorry about the weather for yall in NC, I am in VA and it is just horribly hot here, but the sun is out so it is better than rain, especially all the rain you all are getting. I will definitely tell my doc to check the B and D vitamin levels. I also need to check with you or any other members to see if yall get extremely tender finger tips, I don't get it, but I do usually get the usual soreness everywhere, but extra sensitive finger tips is different for me. this typing is painful, but I really want to reach out about this. also I have a small lump on the left lower side of my back, got any ideas what it could be? I am going to request an MRI for my whole body because I think I have some bad arthritis along with the FM. I broke my pelvic bone in 1997 in Marine Corps bootcamp and have had 2 daughters and of course have gained quite a bit of weight since then. my doc will probably have my back but I don't feel that my rheumatologist will when it comes to disability. I will be applying for disability within the next month or two, and I wam going back to the Veterans Hospital as well for some appts with them because I am going to try to get a higher rating since my doc thinks that I was probably supposed to get FM but because of the trauma the Marines put my body through he believes it has pushed me to get it a little earlier. anyway, I will keep you all posted and please let me know your experiences, opinions or advice. thank you!

Crystal9902 replied to Crystal9902's response:
oh yeah, I forgot to ask what the normal thyroid level should be too, mine is 3.11, seems a little high right?

dollbug replied to Crystal9902's response:
Hello again Crystal.....actually I have no idea.....but upon googling this it seems to be the following in one place: Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) blood test runs from approximately .5 to 4.5/5.0.

Normal? Actually I am not sure anyone even knows what the word *normal* is. As you can see from what I posted above....(from the internet)....it can vary as it is indeed a wide range. I also have found out from my own personal experience that doctors are not even sure any more about what things should or should NOT be.

Just last week I was listening to a doctor speak on Vitamin D and he indicated that most people do not get the full potential from whatever they are taking....he also said that over 90% of people tested had very low levels....and then what he commented on about how much Vitamin D people should be taking was 5,000 iu a day. I also find this quite interesting as I have read a lot on Vitamin D and the research which is on going....It has been reported that once a person's level gets so low that it is almost impossible to build it back up to were it needs to be....(within the *normal level)....and I do agree with this.

My doctor put me on the 50,000 iu for a very short time....and I truly believe that I would have never gotten my level back up....but I decided to take a multi vitamin with extra D in it. I get around 4,000 iu a day. Now I have told a BIG difference in my level of pain....but I still have to deal with the chronic fatigue....that I have found *nothing* that has helped this yet. I am going to be looking for Vitamin B 1 though....thanks to Mary's link about this. I hope this might make a difference. I know time will indeed tell. As with anything and everything relating to the wrath of the dragon, this too, is a process.

I do hope that you will soon find something that will help you cope better.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Deansmimi replied to Crystal9902's response:
Hi Crystal,

I believe the new levels are 0.3 to 3.1 that the endroconologists say are more normal. But, a good many Dr.'s still go by the 05 to 5.0 range.
I have hashimoto's thyroiditis for 30 years, and I believe the
endro's are right.

Good luch, and good health,
Marie

Crystal9902 replied to Deansmimi's response:
hi deansmimi,
thank you for replying, I will be going to an endo here shortly so they can retest and let me know. my mom was on synthroid for years since her thyroid did not work at all so I have been trying to watch mine in the past few years

Crystal9902 replied to dollbug's response:
right mimi "normal" ha ha :0) I am going to see an endo shortly and be retested since my moms thyroid did not work for years, so I have been trying to keep an eye on mine. chronic fatigue makes FM more fun I am sure, but yes I hear that vitamin B1 might help some with the fatigue. now that I am able to rest when I need to since I am not working, that has helped and I actually have some motivation to be able to keep my house fairly in order, thank god for my 2 girls (10 and 14) they truly are amazing and help me soooooo much! my husband is the BEST, he really does support me and checks on me everyday during his lunch hour to see how I am feeling, it makes me feel validated and respected. I am very blessed to have my family.

thank you for responding to me and take lots of naps mimi and thank you too for responding DebraBrooks! thank you so much for the advice and recommendations, i definitely need them!!

Crystal

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.