Skip to content
Just when you think you can't be diagnosed with anything else....
slovene54 posted:
You get diagnosed with exploding head syndrome! Omg what else?!!

missist responded:
Is that thing where you are sound asleep and all of the sudden you hear/feel a huge bang or other noise in your head?

Cuz .. got that too.
High five! LOL

dollbug responded:
Hello.....MiMi in NC....never heard of this but I did find some interesting info on the internet about it....seems like *stress* is a major factor in this.

I hope you will find something that will work for you to help this problem.

I think a lot of us FMers have multiple issues that we have to figure out. It is almost like these things are drawn to us or perhaps we are drawn to them.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to dollbug's response:
I don't think there is a treatment for that, not that I'm aware of. I don't have it all the time--but get it sometimes and sometimes It is a bang like a gun shot, sometimes I hear auditory hallucinations when in bed-- like I hear what sounds like screaming or children playing or conversation that I can't quite make out. I have no idea what causes this, if it is hearing related or nerve related. But at least it has a name.

slovene54 responded:
There is no fix for it just another annoying diagnosis. I just started laughing so hard. It seems I get diagnosed with something new every time I go to the Dr. But exploding head syndrome definitely not what I was expecting !! Especially when she said she was serious. It's a real thing. They have no reasoning for why it happens but that's the name they chose for it. Lol

missist replied to slovene54's response:
I always thought it was funny too to be honest. I get these auditory hallucinations when I'm trying to fall asleep. The other night I could have sworn I was hearing a voice doing that old 'song' if you can call it that: '"They're coming to take me away"
I just lay there trying to fall asleep and thinking--well that seems pretty appropriate anyhow. LOL.

A sense of humor is always helpful I think.

Ladyteguesian replied to slovene54's response:
I don't have it all the time, but when I do, the only way I know it's not real gunshots, is my dog is still asleep.. He freaks out on loud noises. I have been afraid to mention it to my doctor, as I'm afraid she'll call those nice men in their clean white coats. Glad to know I'm not completely nutzoid.

fibrofran17 responded:
slovene, WOW, I thought I was really going crazy, thanx for posting this,. WOW. I hear conversations about you name it from people I don't know, music, sounds of all kinds too. Seems like another part of my brain/consciousness becomes aware of them at some point and starts "thinking" "what the heck was that"??
Something else to keep us up at night lol...wonder who gave it that name of "brain exploding" because thus far mine i still in my head, gratefully, take care and sleep tight, fibrofran

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.