Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vitamin B-1 I think this is helping!
missist posted:
Posted last week about a very small study involving large doses of Vitamin B-1. So I ordered this and it arrived a few days ago.
I am taking 500 units 2 x a day. So this is a mega dose--but within the limit on the study.

Now I'm not sure this is it--but I have had a lot more energy the past couple days--and I wonder if it could be the B-1.

I can't say it helps pain much--but I do have pretty reasonable pain control with gabapentin and celebrex and nortryptilene.
it could also be that my depression symptoms are gone too-so don't know.

All I do know is I've only taken this a few days and I do feel more energetic. Which is super rare for me.

Looks like it is worth trying.

Hopefully more studies will bear that out.
mary

moxie1956 responded:
Can you cite the study for us to read ourselves? I'm interested in knowing more. I'm aware of the benefits of vitamin D for fibro, but had not heard about the possibilities of vitamin B-1, so please, if you can, give us the link or whatever. Thanks.
Cheerio

missist replied to moxie1956's response:
Hi.. I'll try to find it. I did post a link about it a week or so ago. It was very small--only a few women.

Anon_501 replied to moxie1956's response:
http://forums.webmd.com/3/fibromyalgia-exchange/forum/24201

missist responded:
http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/news/general-news/2013/june/high-dose-vitamin-b1-may-improve-fibromyalgia-symptoms.aspx

I really look at this study as a 'hmm.. maybe' it is way too small to be a certainty and also there could be other factors. But--I did notice I felt better supplementing with B-1-- could be something else coinciding with that, but ? I figure it won't hurt and maybe it does help.

Mary

moxie1956 replied to Anon_501's response:
Thank you!
Featherlight Hugs,
Moxie

moxie1956 replied to missist's response:
Thanks, Mary, for posting the direct link. A study's findings on only 3 patients is dubious, but when trying to find relief, grasping at anything is what we do best.

I take six a.m. meds & five a.m. supplements, and six p.m. meds & four p.m. supplements, and additional prn pain & migraine meds, which get ingested daily. If I could wean off the meds entirely & just be maintained by supplements, I'd be a happy camper.

Perhaps you can keep us updated on your or - success w/B-1. I'd be interested in having your feedback. Thanks!
Featherlight Hugs,
Moxie

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.