Skip to content
Thursday *****8-1-13
debrabrooks1960 posted:
Happy Thursday to all!
It is a beautiful morning here. It has finally stopped raining. We have a nice cool breeze blowing. It will not last long. It is suppose to get over a 100 with the feel like temp. It is hard to believe July is gone. So now we welcome a new month and hope it brings happiness to us all.
Does anyone have any training ideas on how to train a puppy to go outside to use the bathroom? My little puppy will use the pee pee pads while she is in the house, but she still will poo on the carpets. My house is smelling like an unflused toliet. She goes behind furniture now. I take her out and let her play in the yard with my other dogs, but she will not poo. She waits till she comes into the living room and goes there. I do not want to give her away, but I can not live that smell and having to clean that smelly mess.
My sister is recovering well from her double mastectomy. Her spirits are good. She did get inplants when they removed her breast but she will have to go back every month or so and have them filled with what ever they fill them so the skin can stretch to fit the new size. She will be a C cup when it is all finished. She finds out next week if the cancer went to her lymph nodes. So please keep her in your prayers. Her name is Wanda.
I hope everyone has a wonderful day. I can't believe I beat MiMi on here. Take care all.
Debbie Lewis
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

dollbug responded:
Morning FMily.....MiMi in NC...and I had a rough night....woke up and could not get back to sleep...so when I finally got back to sleep....I guess I slept late. My furbabies finally woke me up. I am still not rested though and I hate when I get into the *slow mode*....but it seems like I have more of this than I do anything else....just can NOT get moving...it has been cloudy and foggy again here. Perhaps this is the reason that I am not feeling better.

Debbie it does take a lot of time to house train a puppy. You have to let her know that this is NOT what you expect her to do. Try to figure out exactly when she needs to go after she has eaten and perhaps just walk her around. I know that when I trained my son's puppy I would allow him to go out and tell him he needed to *potty*...I do think that animals do learn when you speak and the tone that you use. Let her know that what she is doing is a *no, no* thing.

A good thing is a *pen*...do not know if you have one but especially when you are not there she should be kept in her *space*... as they seem to do not use their own space to potty. I think it is more of a *habit* that you have to get her into.

I am glad to hear that your sister is recovering and doing well. Thoughts and prayers out to you both.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our FM support group recently. I am sure that soon each of you will soon find something that will help you cope better.

Vitamin D...so important for a lot of people these days...and I would encourage those who have not gotten their Vitamin D level checked to speak to your doctor about getting this done. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I also want to let others know that P5P has sure helped my lower back pain. I have to keep taking it though to keep the pain at bay. I do not quite understand just why or how it works...but it WORKS.

I can NOT believe that we are now in August...and school is just around the corner now.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Have a good day and remember to pace, pace and pace even more.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

rudyandirmouse replied to dollbug's response:
Good Thursday morning MiMi, Debbie and all to follow. I do hope that this post finds each of you in a good place where the sun is shinning, the air is cool and the skies nice and cloud free.

It's cool here, rain and more rain the past two days has kept me in bed with a headache of sorts. Ugrrr. Today the clouds are moving south of my back yard, so Yay that! I will begin to warm up again so maybe August will feel like July.. hopefully it won't feel like September.. rushing me into Fall weather wise will not be a happy thing for me.

Nothing to post about except to say HI.. all things are about the same.

Debbie, so happy that the surgery went well.. that you sister is comfortable and yes, Wanda can count on my prayers that all is well for her from this point on.

MiMi, sorry you were up early, I know not a good thing. But hopefully today you can catch a wink or two during the day and get caught back up.

Okay all I'm off to get my day going.
Gentle hugs, Linda R

BetteK responded:
Debbie,

All of the other puppy posts are good things to try. Over the years, we have had this joyous, exasperating experience with many wonderful dogs. Most of them became loving, well-behaved housepets. There was one notable exception. Poor Rachel had been one of a large litter born to a neighbor's dog. This neighbor lived alone in the one room of his house he kept warm with a wood stove. He and his dogs ate whatever he could find in his garden (along with all the leftovers I gave him!). I think the poor dogs were so deficient in protein that little Rachel's brain never developed correctly. She never housebroke and became an outside dog. She seemed perfectly happy outside, was kind and loving, and became my younger son's favorite. I think I was the only one who minded her being out in her doghouse in all sorts of weather.

It seems as if there are far to many women with breast cancer like your sister. It sounds like she is getting great care and is being monitored for the next stage of her recovery. She is lucky to have the medical team she has and a sister like you who cares so much. Of course, she is in my prayers as of this minute.

Speaking of this minute, it's been a month since I have been able to access this site. HughesNet is one big expensive thorn in my side. They told me I needed a service call on July 3. The repairman just left.

I'm getting my electronic nerve stimulator (on my spine) removed on August 16. They'll remove the electrodes from my spine, the power pack from my right hip, and the connecting wires as an out patient procedure. Guess how groggy I'll be on the 100 mile drive back home.

It's so GOOD to be back hearing what is going on in our FM "family!" There has to be some way for us to keep connected if our internet fails us. Any suggestions?

BetteK

mnjeepguy responded:
Good evening. I posted last night but it vanished. I guess it was my turn.

Debbie, puppies can be tough to train. I think the pads confuse them, but I never tried them though. I have had three hounds as pups, they are stubborn as can be but took well to my training. I kennel trained 2 of them. The key is a kennel or crate that is just big enough for them to turn around and lay down. If they have free space they may mess in there. After any activity that gets them excited, or meals, they need to go out. any time they have an accident a firm no! then outside with them again. When they do go outside, praise them. Consistency is key. I trained one to ring a bell hung from the door. I would stop at the door before leashing him, jingle the bell, ant let him out. It only took a few tries before he started smacking the bell. You could try putting the pads in the yard to encourage outside?

I am glad your sister is doing well and in good spirits. My thoughts are with your family.

Mimi, I hope you feel better and sleep better tonight.

Linda, Hi! I hope your head feels better.

Bettie, you can try wifi at the Library or most food establishments these days for free if you have a laptop of smartphone.

I am doing a little better. I have depression issues now and again that I don't like to admit, and hit a low the other day. Work is crazy and so is my family:) Things always seem to work out eventually. I am just not very patient.

I hope you all have a great evening. Take care everyone.

Cory

jstwolfsong responded:
Debbie,

I am, besides being a security guard, a full time pet sitter,

best thing to do when house breaking a puppy,. NEVER let it have the run of the house. Tie the leash to your waist, pay attention to the pup it will let you know when it wants to go out. Once your outside, do NOT LET PUPPY PLAY until it pottys. No playing with other dogs, no loving or petting.

when it wets, say good puppy, but do not touch it, when it has a bowel movement, say good puppy, but do not touch puppy.

Once it's COMPLETELY DONE, then let puppy come to you and make a big deal of it.

I can tell which way the owners have house trained their dogs when I walk them, if I come across a dog that waits, and waits, making the walk LAST FOREVER!

then I know how it's been trained.

you have them potty first, then a walk, that way, everyone can enjoy it. walking without stopping every few mins. When your walking, try and not let them stop and potty, if it's a long walk, then of course it will happen, but in the beginning, MAKE THEN potty on command before you leave.

If you can not keep them on leash next to your side when your in the house then crate them. Personally I hate crate training. I"ve had 4 German Shepherds, and only one have I crate trained. But I had a dog door, so that helped.

Why the last one was crate trained was he was going to be a show dog.

He was also the biggest brat, ate my furinture. when he should have known better, he was almost 2 years old when he did this!

brat!

I know, having the puppy on a leash all the time in the house is a bummer but it works.

If you can't do that, then make a point of taking puppy out every couple of hours. again, no playing BEFORE IT POTTYS.

rudyandirmouse replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Cory, Thank You so much for the well wishes. I hope I start to feeing well quickly. It's a day by day thing with my head it seems. Dr thought it was an ear infection, but alas even with the meds I am slow to hear. But no complaints now since I am up and moving, step up from down and out in the bed.. always a good thing. I think it's fibro related or has something to do with some head trauma I've gotten over the past few years or even caused by the storms that came thru here the past few days. IF I still fell unwell, headache wise I'll be seeing the dr Monday and start looking for reason for these migraine type headaches. But today it will be sunny and nice all day so I have my fingers crossed I'll feel much better.

Hope you have a good day.. a fibro issue and pain free day.
Gentle hugs, Linda R

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.