Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New here glad I found this
tranquilitylkt posted:
Hey guys and girls..I'm Lawanna I was just recently diagnosed after dealing with new and worsening problems that all pointed to FM for over a year...and so I got tired of dealing with the local clinic and went to the family doctor...I handed him my list of complaints and never meantioned what I thought it was....he read them looked at me and said you have FM...and of course now that I have the official diagnosis...

Now I'm hearing all of the horror stories from people who know someone with it....I had to give up my passion for breeding koi and had to turn over all the up keep on my ponds last year to my hubby...one of the hardest things I've had to do...around the same time I got involved with a local dog/cat rescue and met a wonderful woman who agreed to teach me to groom...but, now I'm so scared of loosing it too..with each story I here....I'm really not understanding the disease and the meds that are being used.....I'm on Lyica after trying Cymbalta without any change...after a week I'm not having to take as many tramadol for the pain but, now I feel drunk and didn't even get to enjoy the party...so I come to you guys confused and scared of my future....
Lawanna

dollbug responded:
Hello Lawanna and welcome....MiMi in NC...sorry that you are now dealing with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM. I am glad though that you now know what you are dealing with and hopefully you will learn a lot on how to cope with *it*. So sorry that you are finding out all of the changes that we, FMers, must face...but I am sure that soon you will find things that will make a difference in your life as well.

It does take a trial and error process to find the right combination of *tools* which will work for you. This does take time and effort. We are all different and there is no one magic pill. You will find that what works for one may or may not help you....but I am sure that there is something that will indeed help you cope as well.

I would encourage you to be sure and speak to your doctor about getting your Vitamin D level checked....which is important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D is very common for a lot of us and it can also cause additional pain. (something that none of us need for sure)
Low Vitamin D can also affect other illnesses as well....according to the medical research that has been done.

I am sure you will learn a lot from this site...be sure and check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox* too.

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well....I tried different medicines in the beginning but did not find anything which really helped me without causing other side effects. I now take Fibro Response and Magnesium Malate (both found at vitamin store) I also take Omegas and just recently I have started taking P5P which is a processed form of Vitamin B 6 which helps my lower back pain. I also take Vitamin b 12 as well.

I drink lots of water each day and try to watch what I eat as well. Doing gentle exercises and/or stretching is also a good thing. Staying in bed is not a good thing for a lot of us....as our bodies tend to get too stiff...which is not good for the mind or the body. Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts helps the body to relax so that you can sleep better....as sleep is really very important for us FMers, too.

You might also try Stopain Spray for places which refuse to quit hurting....(this is good stuff and can be found at walmart for under $ Using a heating pad is also a good thing for me.

Whatever you decide to try you should know that it takes 6-8 weeks of whatever you do before you should make up your mind as to whether or not what you are doing is actually making a difference. (unless of course, you are getting sicker than you were to begin with).

I hope you will post when you can, ask questions, make comments and/or suggestions....we do understand what you are going through right now. I am sure that with time things will indeed get better for you.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

fibroinsd responded:
Welcome....

and I am sorry you have to join us..but glad you found us..

do check out the tips and resources section on the right side of the page..look for the member toolbox started by nancy B...that post has helped so so many..

And like Mimi said...check out your D and B levels..

And do look into vitamins...a good multi..I also use a B-100 complete...D...magnesium, omega and a C..I do change up my vitamin list sometimes..but that really helps me..

We all seem to have good days and bad...I am sorry Cymbalta didn't help you...it was good for me for awhile, but I am not on it right now...I haven't tried Lyrica or Savelle..there are other options too..and I think in the toolbox post there is a post on meds by meme...that might be helpful.

again..welcome..cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

tranquilitylkt replied to fibroinsd's response:
thanks all no I haven't check out the resources sec. yet...and I'm just not getting my questions answered...all of which I can't think of now...speaking of which my mind is shot....sometimes I can't even figure out which key starts my car(and I've owned it for 5 years now)....people get mad and say I wasn't listening because I totally forget conversations....a friend of mine has a brother that does nutrition so he is working on a cleanse and a diet for me...thanks again and I'll be posting and doing a lot of reading....I think this group is going to be just what the dr,. ordered...
Lawanna

booch007 replied to tranquilitylkt's response:
Lawanna,

Welcome to the fmily! The place you are in now is the worst I think, with education and learning what works for you from the TOOLBOX will help get your life back on track. I did a green diet of antioxidant vegetables that helped me so much. I still tend to all the greens for their help.

I work full time and push myself to make the body continue to move and do, with certain principles in mind. Dr Pelligrino who was here gave us some tools to keep. LIKE ARMS STAY HOME. This is a big trigger for me. I need to keep the elbows in for most everything, close to the core of the body for all lifting and repetative work. Meant alot.

The mamory foam mattress on the bed to sleep deeper and longer. That was toss and turn city before I added that (thank you board for that).

When you think of the questions please jot them down and then we will help you always. we are open 24/7 do you realise that....and free**. Where do you get such help and we are passionate about better for anyone as we have walked the walk.

I always ask to look inot the book FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain by Dr Devin Starlanyl. Amazon has it 19.99 last I looked. It is full of help to understand and things to do* for you. It is a book I lean on. I also own the neurology book for the Myofascial part of this. DRY reading but was so validating for me. I use neurology to fight this mess we are in.

Good luck and welcome again. NancyB

missist replied to booch007's response:
also welcoming you! and throwing in some things I have learned.

One--the first years for me were the worst.
After that my pain level has been better and I even had a remission for a while.

Big things are to have simple habits and get enough sleep and pace yourself.

Vitamin D3 is big for me and B1-- in a large dose/ I take 500 mg, 2x a day.

Pain meds are often a form of 'poly pharmacy' everyone has different things that work for them.

I use nortryptiline , gabapentin (generic neurontin) and celebrex for my pain .

It takes time to find a combo that works well--and this is key-- you need to have your dr keep looking for alternatives if one thing doesnt help.

Pace yourself-- a lot.

It will be OK-- not the same, but all things happen for a reason.
mary

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.