Skip to content
Is anyone else in this community an RN? (Especially helpful if from Minnesota)
An_253077 posted:
Help!!! I am an RN from Minnesota and have been out on disability because of my fibro going on 2 yrs next month. This is due to cognitive difficulties and memory problems. I am undecided as to whether I should continue to keep up with my license and education. Advice anyone?

fibroinsd responded:
I am not...but hopefully Nancy B will be along before too long, she is a nurse and can probably give you some good insight. She does work, so stops by here periodically..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

BetteK responded:
An,

If you can possibly afford to, keep up your license. You never know what the future may bring. We may get a cure or at least much better treatment!

This condition is cyclical. We have good days and bad days. We also have good years and bad years. When a good year comes along, you will go stir crazy without your job.

God forbid, you may come to a time when it is work or starve. Spouses leave or die. Benefits run out. Children suddenly need expensive schooling or medical treatment.

My teaching certificate is permanent, but I know that if it were not, I would be renewing it until the day I died. It's sort of like my aunt who got her driver's license then went home and never drove again. She renewed that license for 50 years--just in case.

BetteK

An_253077 replied to fibroinsd's response:
Thanks. I will watch for her. It stinks that in Minnesota we can't just suspend our license...

bettyboopadmirer replied to BetteK's response:
Thanks for the reply. That's the way I feel and I HOPE that that will be the case but I doubt it. It's not the cost so much just having a difficult time with the CEU's. After reading a paragragh I can't remember what I have read so makes for a tough time muddling through. Lol. Like I said to fibroinsd I wish we could suspend our license in Minnesota...

franr responded:
Hi
I just read your post. Please don't give up your license.You worked too hard and long to earn it. There are so many different aspects of nursing we can you can work in. When the hospital was getting too hard I worked at my Nursing degree and became a school nurse.Their is so much out there for RN's today that you can do from Clinic's to teaching etc.Even try a few hours doing a BP clinic to see how you feel.Hope this helps.....Fran

BetteK responded:
An,

Fran's right about all the options you have as an RN. As a ChemTech, (at 37) I shared a lot of classes with the nursing students. You wouldn't believe the things those girls (and a few guys) are doing now. The school nurse route is a great option for those of us with kids. Summers off! One of the girls went on to become a family therapist. Two work for drug companies.

It's fun walking into a new place and meeting up with all these super nurses. You are a great bunch of people. Don't let FM stop you from using all the skills you have learned.

(Just between us here, the education courses for teachers are a heck of a lot easier than, say, organic chemistry or anatomy. Fibrofog would not be such a big problem. Some courses are even online so you could pace yourself and work more on good days or the best time of day for your body.)

BetteK

bettyboopadmirer replied to franr's response:
Thanks Fran. I gave up hospital nursing about 5 yrs ago. I am a behavioral health nurse and boy do I miss it! My cognitive difficulties are so bad that I barely make it at home now though. Just not sure that part is going to ever improve....

bettyboopadmirer replied to BetteK's response:
Thanks BetteK for your words of encouragement. Omg I remember that God awful chemistry. Lol! It's more than fibrofog that I've got going and that's my concern. My children are grown thank goodness even though school nursing would never interest me besides the hours and the summers off. Will have to see what the future holds....

booch007 responded:
Good morning ,

It is Nancy. I have continued to work and changed from hospital to the office. Now cognitive is an issue I laugh at myself with.." Listen I have so much in this brain...I can't hold anymore" but I am not learning anything too new.

Careful of the meds chosen to maintain that brain, stay hydrated. I only drink water now.

Don't drop the license. We are so lucky to have such diversity available, but i would caution on learning a new arena. I don't think I could move from Cardiology. Now I am supervision and that challenges me I keep a steno pad to remember the issues to be addressed at hand always, as well as meetings.

My job is diversified and I have figured how to function in it.

My hopes for you is to do what you love. I have a wellness window of 8 hours that I carved out with Savella 12.5mg. I push but the evening is owed to the dragon. I rest and regroup for the next day. I have a modified work week 4 days and that is helpful, to pace myself.

If I had unruley chidren that may push me or pull on me, I don't think I could do that. If it is adults are you safe in physical efforts?

Working for an insurance company (on the computer at home) is good money and you are following algorhythms to authorize or not a patients care. A job for the home bound.

My thing on home bound is pretty strong, you lose lose.....
You don't push yourself and the socialization is gone...getting out and getting UP is a brain thing for me. As I say this is me, we are all different. I was ICU and couldn't keep the pace but I found that what I WAS doing actually was more over time then what I did in the ICU....my meds changed to cope and I have a pretty good regime going.

Nursing at camps is another thing open to us. Limited time and fun with the kids. School nursing is better these days with once a day ADD meds and the asthmatics are also tuned with a daily med and not in the office constantly.....but pediatrics would be a better past for this placement.

Be ready to go into a low as a job may not be gotten for a bit. The longer you are out the harder for a break to get a start again. Occupational Health in a corporation has a very high salary and you can class up* with CEU's to maybe try that.

See we have so many options. I wanted to be a mountain nurse out west...dropping from a helicopter and saving the man on the mountain who has failed his quest.......
Never happened when I fell in love with Cardiology.

OK, I will be around for the next 3 days....if you want to chat.

Good luck, Nancy B

newgrandma1953 responded:
Hi, I am also a RN out on disability for the same reasons including the pain. I suggest you maintain your license. You have worked very hard for it and you just never know about the future. For $100 per year you have the peace of mind of keeping it active and keeping you alive in the working marking should you every be required to return to work. Keep it active just in case. I have...no regrets. It can't hurt. God bless. Carol

bettyboopadmirer replied to booch007's response:
Hi Nancy. Thanks for responding. I worked my out after just couldn't do it anymore. I was working for an insurance co. doing over the phone case mgmt but couldn't keep up, couldn't remember coworkers names, passwords, steps to my work, etc. I wanted and tried to be able to work from home but was told by my boss that that wasn't an option due to some of the systems I needed to use for my position. Funny though because my first boss in that position told me that I would be able to work from home after I learned the postion.... Whatever. Everything happens for a reason. I am fighting my disability case with SS. I will have my hearing in Jan or Feb. I just want it to be over... so I know where I stand financially. I plan to move near my children and grandchildren. My 2nd grandchild is due a week from today. I believe it's a blessing in disguise. Gonna keep my nsg license like y'all are saying. I knew I wanted to just needed to hear it from others. Right side of my brain has issues (causing me the cognitive difficulties and memory problems)... maybe it will heal itself and someday can return to work... ) Peace and prayers, Deb

bettyboopadmirer replied to newgrandma1953's response:
Hi Carol, thanks for responding. See my long msg above back to Nancy. Congrats on being a new Gma. First one? I have my babygirl who's 4 1/2 and another due one week from today!!! So excited!!! How long have you been out on disability? I hate the process!!! They took 8 months to deny my appeal!!! Frustrating! I can't wait for my hearing..... Peace and prayers to you, Deb

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.