Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
We do not treat chronic pain?
missist posted:
Just been looking at my options if should decide to change doctors. So far called 3 places near me-- could not even get them to answer the phones. finally got one and they didn't seem very smart? is that the word I want.. dunno.. just felt not good.
I got hold of another one by email finally--and they responded to my query that they do not treat for chronic pain.

?

I'm pretty discouraged by that. I see the book by Devin Starlnyl and she mentions having a 'team' and all these different drs that can do things to help--but seriously-- here in Rural South Carolina--
aint happening.

I think I probably am best off to stay where I am at least he seems to know which meds are going to work for the most part and that's something.

I think I need to look at my doctor as 'the guy that gives me drugs & labwork'

And do the rest of what I need myself.

Diet, exercise and dunno what else yet.

I see the zone diet seems OK-- I'll read more about it. I am liking my Classical Stretch workout. I only do 10 minutes at a time--I'm thinking If I can get 10 min. 2x a day, then 3 times a day-- I'll be feeling stronger.

I'm sort of sad, but then again, I've been thinking about this a lot and maybe its time to let it go.

missist responded:
If only I could just get that hot tub.

BetteK responded:
Mary,

It sounds like you have a reasonable plan--making yourself the captain of your care and letting other providers serve you as you need them.

Gosh, 10 minutes sounds like forever to me. I start with 2 and add 1 each day for any new routine. This is from someone who has overdone it entirely too many times.

You never know, you might get some new doc in town who is just great. We got a lot of our M.D.s through "Rural Appalacian Grants" back in the 70's. They got their training free in exchange for 2 years of rural practice. Many of them stayed in the area. Trouble is, they are all getting older. We'll have a real shortage in the next 5-10 years unless that new
health initiative starts cranking out primary care physicians.

Right now, our dentist, our family practicioner, and our eye
doctor are all approaching retirement--or past that age. Makes me feel like a two year old when she doesn't get her age. I want to stage a tantrum. We had a lot more energy and some good references from our old docs when we moved here in 1972. Like you, I do not relish finding a new medical team.

But hey, the new guys might be great, too!

BetteK

missist replied to BetteK's response:
Hi BetteK.. my doc is old enough to be retired too. There are a lot of immigrant doctors in this area, also osteopaths and nurse practitioners.Our town has no doc at all; the one closest has nurses.

Anyhow... you are right about the 10 minutes for exercise.. I am so ouchy! I now think I'm gonna do 4 or 5 min--e/o day. a far cry from my original idea of 2 or 3 x a day.

So pathetic!

booch007 replied to missist's response:
Good morning,
I was going to agree with Bette, I used a song...as my timer. When it was done I was done and then I worked up to 2 songs etc. I never made the disc though too long. I think 3 full songs was my limit but I did it 3 times a day...

My wish for you is that you are happy with the plan, that the attending is a part of your care and helps you. They are people and can't be everything to us, but they are so necessary to survive this.

I travel two towns over for my neurologist (myofascial specialty) to care for me. Maybe if he is to retire a new look is needed.

If I lived in a small town I would search out the biggest TEACHING hospital near me and look inot their rheumatology dept (though I have not liked the rheumies I have met) and the neurology department. It is a thought. I would travel to get set up with them and stabilized and then ask for a referral to a local.

This would be my plan if I was a newbie.....any Mayo clinic affiliate I could find etc. As Dr Devin says....be assertive and be your own advocate. There is no book of sites for us though.

I also want to say, the people you speak to as first line in the office and just that PEOPLE. Not the brightest color in the crayon box sits at that phone at times. I have had blocks myself and concerns. IT IS THE DOCTOR BEHIND THEM I am looking for. When I meet them I make my decisions.

In the Members Toolbox I speak of a doctor who told me my symptoms were because I lost weight in my elbow area and exposed the nerves....hense the numb hands and pain in them. WRONG and I never went back. It takes alot of effort to find a physician champion. They are priceless when you do. I bring food. gifts and joy to all of them when I go.....they are what holds me together. Like my massage therapist....high tip always. SHE knows if I am there I am in trouble and I NEED her.
P R I C E L E S S.

Lucky I am, but luck had a small part, I wasn't giving up looking for the answers and the for the care I deserved. I am lucky to be in NY and there is alot to choose from. I even have NYC and would go there if it meant better care. But I am good.

So that is my hiope and wish for you. Put on your boxing gloves and move forward. Never stop fighting for you, I see it in this note that you have it. Don't judge the doc by the staff someone hired though. It is a mistake. You need to be eye to eye to check him off your list.

Good luck, this is the hardest part of the course...then the med choices is the next.

All my best, Nancy B

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.