Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Are there any Drs that specialize in fibromyalgia that really care???
An_253194 posted:
I had my gallbladder out 4yrs ago, lost my job of 12 yrs, because of losing weight, insomnia, excruciating body pain all over. I had a fibromyalgia note in my records (have learned to request records now) from 1994, and practically every symptom leading up to this preasant day. I filed for social security (I've worked over 35 years of my life and raised 2 grown kids on my own). I was denied 2x then went in front of a disability judge and was later mailed a denial.. The judge said I had symtoms but no workup done w/tender points. I have been working about 3-6 hrs per week taking a senior to the grocery store. Every time I go to my dr to tell her how I'm feeling ---she's like...have you talked to your Psych dr? or GI dr? Sick of going to drs..things have gone down hill since my surgery. Some days i feel like i can't even function. I forget things all this time, I ache all the time..haven't had any real income for almost 4 years. I've been on zoloft, cymbalta, now going to try savella... Having back surgery next week....I don't know why my husband doesn't leave me..I just complain all the time.....anyone have anything encouraging???

fibroinsd responded:
Sorry you are having so much trouble...glad you found us..

There are plenty of doctors that deal in fibro...some are rhumatologists, some neurologists,..and some internists..I would just call around your area and ask if they treat fibro. It sounds like you do have someone, if you have tried Cymbalta and now are trying savella...so I am not sure exactly what you are looking for.

There are also legal firms that can help you get disability. There is one main one that a lot of people have used. I am sorry I cannot remember their name..hopefully someone else will come along that can remember. However, if you google legal firms fibromyalgia disability..there are a lot of names of lawyers that claim to deal in it..

Hope you can find some help.
cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

booch007 responded:
Welcome to the site and as cece said, there are many physicians who will help with FM, you just need to find them. Hoping you live in an area where they are .

I am in NY and have had fair luck with my quest in the past. I saw 9 doctors, then I found the right one. It is a frustrating period. As you find the doc then you have to find your mix of meds that work....frustrating.

I want to speak of Savella (my bow on the box of mine).

Savella is so different from other SNRI (seratonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) like others that lift the seratonin levels..this one elevates the norepinephrine levels to 3 times the norm.....

Norepinephrine is a cousin (lets say) to epinephrine. It can increase heart rate and palpatations, make you tense and grind teeth, hard to sleep and be aggressive....more energy etc. Eleveates B/P also if you have a high pressure tendency. SO...in saying that,
GO SLOW IN STARTING THIS. I found the dose pak dangerous and if you just ask for the 12.5mg tablet (little blue one) you can bring it up slow and at YOUR PACE.

I only need* 12.5mg a day. If it is going to be a bad day of funcional need I will take 2 tablets and then drop back. If I don't I can't sleep and my b/p is up...I grit my teeth and I can bite someone who is annoying me.......(see I have learned me with this med.

Good luck. These are the two hard hurdles we face and then getting educated on the situation is the next thing. Stay here, use the bard for all it is worth. There is so much here. Look in resources for the Members toolbox and the posts of Dr. Pellegrino should be around also. P R I C E L E S S at the time (taken away at this point)

Be your advocate and watch each thing you do to be better what works and what didn't. Give things a chance. An MD told me a while ago 60 days is the window to change your body chemistry...so maybe that can be a guide.

With savella I knew week 3 that I couldn't stay on 25mg...

Cymbalta dried me out so much and then I needed plugs for the eye tear ducts and seratonin syndrome came...so NOT a fit for me at all. We are all so different and that is a problem for the docs to, as something worked for someone else...why not you??? It is frustrating for their part in helping you. It goes both ways.

Goos luck. YOU CAN DO THIS.......... Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.