Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Sorry for such late update on my son
    dakotaspirit1957 posted:
    Long days... Short nights... I am sorry I haven't given you an update sooner... It has taken all my energy to sit at the hospital 10 to 13 hours and the sit on the phone with relatives and my best friend... I am sorry...

    Our major concerns right now is he has been running a fever since the evening of the first day... 102.9... Steady... nothing brought it down... Then it finally broke yesterday morning and in the afternoon returned at 103.7... The have run test after test... And started running them again...

    Also... He isn't o the respirator anymore but still isn't breathing totally on his own... They have a sleep apnea mask on him called C Pak Mask... It forces air into his lungs... When it is removed he is immediately under stress and his air levels go down rapidly... He is unable to maintain breathing in o his own... They said he did stop breathing totally when he was in the ER and that is why the respirator... They think he might have done some damage to his brain where his breathing is controlled... They said he should be breathing on his own by now... Or at least not going right into stress... Said we need to be prepared...

    He had a really bad day the first day they tried to wake him up... Day before yesterday... He was very very irritated to the point it took several people to hold him down several times to re-tie him to the bed... He is strong ad keeps getting loose... He actually had 2 security guards on top of him... was tied down and threw one across the room...

    He has responded to me since the second day however and yesterday I was able to keep him calmer... He did get pretty agitated when they put back on the C Pak Mask after checking his breathing but not ear as bad as the day before...

    He laughed at me yesterday... I cried... And cried... Just fell apart... My son was laughing... He told me he had to p and I told him to go for it he had a catheter... He started laughing and kept saying "Momma funny..." When asked what was so funny... His Dr just stood with me and held me telling me I would hear him laugh a lot again... He was going to pull thru...

    The staff is wonderful... They include me in rounds so I hear what is going on from all his dr's at once... All his dr's attend... His nurses... The pharmacist... his therapists... social workers... If they touch my son's life they are there...

    It feels really good knowing I can go home at night knowing there is someone in his room and he is never alone... He has 2 private nurses one sits with him constantly... and the other one runs and takes care of his needs... A dr is there around the clock non-stop... I am impressed with his care takers and only seen a problem with oe of them but she was dealt with promptly... She kept yelling at him and he was getting more and more agitated... You can't yell at him... I talked to her and the head nurse intervened... She has been kind and gentle with him since... And apologized...

    He has been responsive to me since day 2... In fact the dr told me he has never had a patient so responsive to anyone so early in the game... not like he is me... But we are very close... And it shows...

    I praise God that every day there is more recognition... One more squeeze on my hand at just the right moment... A little smile now and then... He even told me to sit down a couple of times... I just keep telling him I love him and he is doing well... He is going to be fine...

    Thanks for your prayers... I have to get ready to leave... So far I am ok... Hurting some tryig to pace lots of breaks in... And holding my own...

    Take care... Love... Jan/Dakota
    dollbug responded:
    Hello Jan....good to hear from you. I am glad that your son is doing better and recovery is headed in the right direction. It is sad when people get to this point in their life....but we can never judge anyone, not knowing what is going on with them....whether it is personal, health issues, perhaps pain or stress or whatever. Until we walk in their shoes, we have no idea.

    I do hope things continue in a positive direction. Prayers and thoughts continue for him and you as well as for the family.

    Take care and please try to remember to take care of yourself as well. Stress can be really hard on us I am sure you are very aware.


    missist responded:
    Jan I am so glad there is some good news. Brain injury can be a long haul recovery--so rest up Mom. He'll need you.

    I have seen God work in our extended family through a tragic brain injury my bro in law suffered ==his was not chemical but from a motorcycle accident.

    One thing I know-- God has a plan and it is good. God Bless!
    TurtleRunnerNC responded:
    Thank you for the update. I'm sure this is so hard for you. I will keep you and your son in my prayers.
    bette_kaffitz responded:
    Oh, Jan,

    We can be so strong and stoic about our own illness, but when it comes to our children, the pain and helplessness is so overwhelming.

    The responsiveness is such a good sign, a sign of hope and a sign of a good outcome.

    Our prayers are with you, your dear son, and those many people who are with you in this time--from the doctors and nurses to friends in the background.

    Take care, yourself. You will definitely need your strength in the days and weeks ahead.

    Anon_2912 responded:
    Jan, I feel exactly what you are going through. ..My 20yr old feel 5 story from a parking garge one night in Feb. (long story) and he landed on concrete....

    He was rushed to the trauma center and spent 2 days in ICU and a total of 5 days in hospital. My son was on a respirator as well and honestly NO ONE thought he was alive when he was in route and they found out how far he fell.

    I can say this, THERE IS A GOD....just continue to pray and have faith and continue to ask God and Jesus to be with you at this critical time EVERY SECOND of the day .

    God surely gentle laid him down on the concrete because YES he had major injuries as well as internal, but NOT ONE SCRATCH on his head nor any head injuries.

    3 months after accident he went back to work and just completed 2 mini summer classes (made B's) has registered for Fall classes and just moved back out closer to campus.

    Just keep the faith....and ALWAYS talk out your feelings to God. He is listening.....

    All I could do it repeat to myself "god/jesus please be with me and my son". I continue to say this phrase over and over through out the day....

    I say prayers for you and your son as well as your entire family and friends to have the spiritual strength to get through every second of the day you are dealing with this.
    katmandulou responded:
    Oh Jan, I'm so sorry:
    Wishing you and your family the strength to get through this.
    fibroinsd responded:
    Jan..thank you for the update...I have been so worried about you and your son...and all your family...I am glad to hear the hospital is doing all it can...and is listening to you...I pray things continue to improve and he gets the help he you tons..give those grand kids a hug for me..

    Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

    Helpful Tips

    Vitamin D level checked ***
    I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    233 of 263 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.