Skip to content
Looking for advice
mom_of_three posted:
Hi, I am new to this site & kinda new to fibro I have been dealing with it for a few yrs now & I am on CYMBALTA, Gabapentin, Vicodin, & Tizanidine, they were all prescribed to me before I was even diagnosed with Fibro for depression & chronic knee pain due to 4 major reconstructive surgery on the same knee (R) at first I was thinking that my Fibro was the cause from all the meds I've been on, but I'm not sure now considering all the meds I'm on are actually prescribed for Fibro I am trying to find out what I can do to "ease" my DAILY pain, depression, fatigue, stress, anxiety you name it I have it unfortunately! I am now at the point of not knowing really what to do anymore I am willing to try anything! So I would really appreciate any advice that anyone is willing to give! Thanks in advance!

missist responded:
Hi mom of three!

You will find there are quite a few very regular posters here who between them all have an amazing amount of good advice to give. Stop by and visit and ask specific questions and you'll find there is someone here able to answer just about anything you put out there.

I've had fibro I think about 30 years this year. I wasn't dx'd for a good 3-4 years after I began to have symptoms. I'd never heard of it when i was told. Back then they knew even less than they do now.

Anyhow I found after the first many years the pain lessened some. So that was good. But as you may know there is more than just pain involved. I take celebrex, gabapentin, nortryptiline for fibro. I also have asthma allergy problems that cropped up about when I got fibro--so have to treat those too. I also take one pill for blood pressure. Other than that--vitamins and supplements -- there are a variety that some find useful. I take B1 & D3. as well as a good multi & a fish oil.

D can do wonders for depression & lighten your pain load. You can be tested for it. B1 is something I began recently at 500 mg 2x a day. I started it after reading about a very small study that found it had helped some women with fatigue and fibro fog--and I did find it has helped tremendously. My husband took it as well and said it made him feel more energetic--and he does not have fibro.

Anyhow.. just a few things. PACING yourself is big time important. Anyhow I'm sure there are lots of folks here that can tell you more.

Welcome!
Mary

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC....sounds like you are dealing with a lot of health issues right now. I think we all understand just how this can be. It does take a trial and error process to find the *right combination of tools* that will work for each of you....so hang in there and learn all you can about what others have found that has made a difference for them.

I would like to encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level, which is really important to a lot of people these days....low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well. Be sure and speak to your doctor about this test, if you have not already done so.

I also know that I have found *stopain spray* is a good thing to use on places that will not quit hurting no matter what you do. (you can find it at walmart for just under $10 and it is well worth the money)....Drinking a lot of water each day is also good....soda is not good for us, FMers.

Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is also another important tool which you will eventually learn to do. Getting enough sleep is also a must for most of us FMers. Try taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts to help relax the body so you can sleep better.

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well. I take the following: Fibro Response, Magnesium Malate, Omegas, P5P (processed form of Vitamin B 6) a good multi with extra D and a joint supplement....(I also have knee issues as well) .

With anything and everything that you try you should give yourself at least 6-8 weeks of whatever you are doing before making a decision as to whether or not it is working for you...(unless, of course what you are doing is making you sicker than you were). It does take time for anything to worse...there are no quick fixes, that I am aware of.

Doing gentle exercises or stretches can also be very helpful for us FMers....(gentle being the important word here)...moving every day is also a good thing....regardless of how much you hurt, you need to move.....it doesn't matter how slow, just move.

I hope you have help with your children....you do not say how old you are OR how old your children are....but I can NOT even imagine how anyone can cope with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....and take care of small children.

It will indeed get better....know that this too will pass....it always does.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

fibroinsd responded:
welcome...i just wanted to add...don't forget to look to the right and look in the tips and resource section for a member toolbox..things that have helped us..started by Nancy B...hope there are some helpful suggestions..

I have one thing to say..and that is that is a lot of medication..some people do need a lot..but sometimes it can also be too much..so it is a trial and error thing finding the right amount...I was on Cymbalta for a year and it was wonderful..and then I found I was sleeping all the time..and got off of it..and it did help...I do take lots of vitamins..multi...B-100 complete, D..omegas...some of those are the ones that help me..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

franr responded:
Dear Mom of three
As other members have stated meds are wonderful but some of the side effects can be nasty. Try some alternative treatments. Massage, is so good. Warm baths , and exercise ,walking is good. PT's and Chirpractor's are knowledgeable and are so used to working with fibro patients. I know it is not easy with three little ones but try to set some time aside for yourself. You are worth it. Please keep us informed of how you are doing. Fran

Anon_10089 replied to franr's response:
Hello-

The others have given good advice. I wanted to add that I feel like with FM, it can be a constant shuffling and reshuffling of medications. What I mean is that I kind of cycle being on and off meds. I think our bodies can get used to meds and may need different ones or none at all for awhile, then be used again in the future.

I'm kind of going through this right now, too. I have been able to use some pain meds and that is all for my pain. However, I have had almost constant migraines for about 6 months now. I am going to the doctor tomorrow and I expect to walk out with a migraine prevantitive med. I'm already planning on not being on that med forever and hopefully taking it for only a year or so.

We all wish there was one pill we could take to solve our symptoms forever. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist (yet). Most of us find a decent mix of meds/supplements/life-style changes/alternative treatments. But then when new or existing symptoms show up or worsen, we must reevaluate and make necessary changes. It really can feel like a constant battle at times! The good news is, though, is that it makes us proactive for our health!

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.