Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
worried daughter.
worriedtaylor95 posted:
hey. my mum has recently been diagnosed 4 days ago; she's actually had it for about ten years but doctors have always diagnosed her many wrong things. i don't like seeing her like this and doctors don't seem to know much. I just wanted to know what she can eat, is there anything to ease the pain or lessen it; she was told exercise but that has increased the pain, if anyone could provide any tips or anything I would sincerely appreciate it.

missist responded:
Hi Worried Taylor..

There is not a definite for sure diet that will ever fix this..but I've heard the M Zone diet helpful. The idea behind that is to stabilize insulin/blood sugar and thus the person will be healthier and feel better- less foggy. Its not going to make her pain free but may help with depression/fibro fog.

As for exercise-- I could just about kick most doctors who seem to think exercise is a cure. They almost always make their patients feel more pain and be depressed and feel guilty for failing as well. Its also not a cure all. She does need some exercise but it is a very very slow process to work up to a moderate amount of exercise. A few minutes a day for starters. Not even 10 at the start. Also I had a dr tell me to 'work through the pain' -- bad idea--that can cause a major flair of pain and mood/brain problems too.

Ideally-- work up to getting 30 min a day of walking or water exercise--something low impact and stamina building. Takes a long time to get to that.

Have her come around here and ask questions etc. There are people here who probably know more than most drs. Or perhaps as her advocate you can do that if she is not online.

Best of luck!
Mary

missist replied to missist's response:
correction on that diet---
the zone.
not mzone. that was a typo.

worriedtaylor95 responded:
thank you, that has been a big help. she's certainly taking your advice into account. she's thinking of doing swimming and trying a sauna, is that a good source of exercise? also the dr gave her a type of steroid, she's not really sure it's purpose though? the dr pretty much told her what she has, gave her 2 prescriptions and sent her on her way.

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....what a nice daughter you are, trying to get info to help you mum cope better. Living with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM, is indeed a challenge for all of us FMers....we have to figure out how to make life better for ourselves, which is a challenge within itself.

I would like to encourage her to ask the doctor to check her Vitamin D level which is important to a lot of people these days....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

I would also encourage you to check out the info here under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and read the *member toolbox* where you just might find something that your mum can try.

You should also know that what helps one may or may not help another....we are all different and a person never knows what may or may not help them until they try.

Gentle exercises or stretches is important for us FMers....Gentle being the important word here. Getting enough sleep at night is also important...perhaps you mum can take a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts which might help her body to relax so she can rest better.

Eating right is also important. I am sorry but I do not really know of anything that might improve her diet...fresh or frozen vegetables and fruits are good...they say that processed meat is NOT a good thing to eat. I do know that drinking a lot of water is good for me...(water is 98% of what I drink everyday) I did see on Dr. Oz where pineapple juice is good...and I do drink this on occasion.

I am one of the FMers here who tried medicines in the beginning but did not find anything which really helped me without causing side effects so I finally did my own research and I have learned how to *control my FM pain by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well*. I take a good multi vitamin, Omegas, Fibro Response and Magnesium Malate (found at vitamin store) .

Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is also a must for me. We, FMer, can no longer push ourselves to the limit...we have to figure out just how much we can do and learn how to STOP to rest...as needed.

Keeping on a schedule of sorts is also good...getting up and going to bed, meals and taking vitamins and supplements.

I hope this helps her get started...a person should allow at least 6-8 weeks of doing whatever they are trying before deciding IF what they are doing is actually helping them. It takes this long for the *full potential* to feel a difference, if indeed it is helping.

Take care and good luck to your mum.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

bette_kaffitz replied to worriedtaylor95's response:
Taylor,

Fibromyalgia is a chronic illness like arthritis or diabetes. You just have to learn what works for you. Your mother's doctor may have suspected that there was something else going on that was inflamatory like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. Several years ago, I was put on a corticosteroid in a "shock/step down" trial. You start with 7 pills a day and every two days you use 1 less pill. In 14 days, you're down to 0. It didn't do anything for me, but IF I had an inflamatory illness, it could have knocked it down to size.

Many of the drugs used for FM are also used for depression or seizures. The current research shows we have disruptions in our neurochemistry. Some of these drugs help some of us. The only way to find out if a drug will help your mother is for her to try the drug. It's strictly trial and error.

And so is how your mother will have to manage her life from now on. She will have to plan for quiet times when she can recharge her energy batteries. She will have to find for herself just how much she can do at a time. Some days will be good days when she will probably try to get too much done. Some days will not be so good. Only time will tell what SHE can and cannot do on a good or bad day.

Warm water exercise is one of the best ways to keep moving with FM. Many of us find that all kinds of heat therapy help us get through life with fewer hassles.

You and your mom will figure it out.

BetteK

missist replied to worriedtaylor95's response:
Steroids are temporary-- at least that's how I've used them--just a quick course for several days to try to tackle a really bad flare. And it can help--but you can't really take them long term they are not good for your health and cause weight gain--which is easy enough to do-- gain-- if you are in pain a lot and cannot do rigorous exercise.

Sometimes it is good to zap a flare though-- but its not a good solution long term.

I use a combination of drugs to combat pain--but in a sort of partnership--so you don't need a high dose of one. I use an NSAID --mainly cuz I also have arthritis, its very common to have more than one thing if you have fibro. I also use an antidepressant & an anti-convulsant--which is used often for neuropathy. Together the meds taken on a lot of my pain so I can function and sleep well.

One thing your mom will find is that you can get a combo of meds that are working well for you--and then-- something happens & you have to change it. Just part of this--you have to find what works now, and maybe it won't keep working. Or some side effect will cause too much trouble.

Big thing is to educate yourself as a patient because it is very rare to find a doctor who is well versed on it.

research!

My dr that dx'd me 30 yrs ago did the same thing, sent me home with a couple of rx's that did not help & a tri-fold brochure that wasn't much use either.

That was all there was then. There's a lot more now--research is happening and meds are being tried. But its still gonna be her job to learn all she can. No dr these days can learn it all as they have other patients, etc.

Good luck!
Mary

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.