Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
THINGS THAT AGGRAVATE FIBROMYALGIA
bette_kaffitz posted:
Most of us start out not knowing what we can do and what we cannot do. Here's my personal list of what NOT to do:

• Vacuuming
  • Lifting anything heavier than a milk jug
  • Standing once you back starts to hurt--even a little
  • Reaching above your head with anything above 5 pounds
  • Bending at the waist when you can do the job by bending at the hips
  • Any repetitive action you do more than 7 or so times in sequence
  • Forgetting to take your meds on schedule (buy a pill organizer)
  • Staying in the same position for too long.

These are the things you SHOULD do:
  • Rest whenever you can
  • Once you know how long you can stand or sit, set a timer and change positions when the alarm rings
  • Establish a bedtime ritual
  1. Take a warm shower or bath
  2. Go to bed at the same time every night
  3. Take your muscle relaxer or other once a day pain med at night
  4. Make a list of your worries then put the list aside
  5. Pray or meditate or listen to music or do something that relaxes you before 30 minutes before bedtime
These things do help. We all have to find the boundaries that work for US, but these are a good rule of thumb. Many came from Devin Starlanyl's books. Some were from I. Jon Russell's Fibromyalgia Helpbook, and some I figured out for myself.

debrabrooks1960 responded:
That was a really good list. I love the idea about the worry list and praying or listening to music too. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

booch007 responded:
Bette,

You are so right on the nail! I found triggers of laundry, vaccunming and shopping for food as things to do on a separate day from eachother. BIG. Can put me down doing them together.

I once lost a New Years Eve because I helped push a lever at work that was above my headthat was stuck........(got caught in the moment and didn't think). Couldn't move by night and a migraine like headache.... We always have to think.....

Mimi says pay the piper....it is true, you will know it when the trigger has been messed with. O U C H.

Great post..thanks. would love you to copy and paste into the Members toolbox.....good for a newbie. Nancy B .

Anon_2912 responded:
I like the list of "things NOT to do". however,
those are things that must be done and well I have to do them.

I have millions of things of DO NOT DO, but I live in reality...and i have to do them...

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.