Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ear pain and Fibromyalgia
lynjs posted:
I have chronic pain as most here do. I want to know have any of you experienced ear pain like the ear in the canal gets itchy then closes up tight and then just feels like something is jabbing it?

I want to know is it an aspect of fibro or not. I just want to know for my own peace of mind. Thank you.

rudyandirmouse responded:
Hi, LyIjs, I just wanted to let you know that yes your Ear issues are part of fibromyalgia. Ear pain was one of my first symptoms. I didn't realize then that the ear problems were connected to the fibromyalgia. It took two decades before doctors connected it.

My suggestion to you is to make sure you see a good ear nose and throat doctor and take whatever medicines you can to keep your ears and hearing as normal as possible.

Gentle hugs to you Linda are

bette_kaffitz responded:
Lynjs,

You may also notice ringing in the ear, dizziness (middle ear problems) or variations in how loud or high pitched a sound seems from day to day.

All of the above were a problem for me for about a year. The people at university ear clinics were stumped and finally decided it might have something to do with the fibro. (After many, many trips and much, much money.)

Hope your problem irons itself out soon and is not anything more serious than your fibro already is.

Please read Cory's ear posts, too. He temporarily lost hearing in one ear. Antibiotics are helping. Hooray!

Bette

Anon_2912 responded:
Related to Fibro, not so sure.

Most likely allergies, sinuses.

A lot of people have ear issues, and don't have Fibro....

Pain at times will NOT have an origin, you will just have it due to our sensitivity or as the fibro commercials say, "over active nerves"...

lynjs replied to rudyandirmouse's response:
Thank you so much Mrs. Linda!

I figured I was on the right trail, but I just didn't know. Thank you so very much.

What gets me is that at times, the weirdest movement will start the pain. At times, I don't want to be touched or pulled on any way. People just don't get it.

Thank you so much again. And gentle hugs to you, Mrs. Linda.

lynjs replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Thank you so much Mrs. Bette_Kaffitz.

As I told Rudyandirmouse above, I thought I was on the right track but I wasn't sure. I just knew that it hurt and figured that it had something to do with the fibro.

I will track this Cory down and read his posts. Thank you so much. I intend to get this checked out soon. Thank you.

Please keep your head up.

lynjs replied to Anon_2912's response:
Thank you so much Anon_2912 for answering.

I will take your advice also. I plan on going to the docs as soon as possible to get this straightened.

I just know either way that pain in my ear is a nuisance and it hurts. Thank you again.

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

My first thought was that there may be something IN your ear...at night things happen we don't even know about.

Also as seen on TV the other night a celebrity had rinetones on her phone and one fell off and went IN her ear...she had no idea only weird feelings...

To the ENT (Ear Nose and Throat doc....or your internist who can LOOK in the canal. Sound like you have a visitor in there.
Hurry......Nancy B

zippdee7 responded:
I have. Sometimes it get itchy and I put my finger in it and wiggle arround. Feel like it's going through head. Some times it come on out of the blue.

Went to the doctor once when it got bad, and was told that I had water in my ear canal. Took antibiotics and it was ok. Now it comes and go and it is mild compared to what it used to be. My whole face hurts so bad and they feel hot.

I know it is weird, but it is what it is.

Z

zippdee7 replied to bette_kaffitz's response:

I'm so glad that this isn't something I made up? Ha, Ha.
I go through this most everyday. And, yes hearing seems affected.

My ears hurt and burn right now. Everytime before a big flare up come they start.

bette_kaffitz replied to zippdee7's response:
Zippdee,

You may not welcome your ear problems, but they have taught you something about your fibro. Evidently, ear symptoms are a warning that a flareup is coming.

Lucky you, you are forewarned to actually TAKE those meds that helped way back when. If you have a muscle relaxer or a pain med or any other medication for your fibro that you don't take on a regular basis, dig it out and take it at the first sign of your early warning signs.

Be paranoid about the warm shower or bath EVERY morning AND every night. Take your sleep aid so you get lots of rest.
Do your gentlest exercises.

If you do all of these things, you may actually PREVENT a full-blown flareup. It has taken me 40 years to figure this out. (I'm a slow learner.) I do all of the above before a car trip of an hour or more, and it works more than half the time. (That's better than any of those much-advertised drugs can boast!)

Give it a try. All you have to lose is one more flareup.

Bette

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
364 of 391 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.