Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PLEASE TELL US ABOUT WHEN SOMETHING WENT RIGHT!
bette_kaffitz posted:
What have you tried --only to find that the flareup you KNEW was coming never appeared?

What great move did you make that obviously surprised you when you just never got a flare. Please make a list here. If we compile them. we will have a how to--a tool to manage fibro for all of us.

Please also tell us about what went wrong. What happened to make a good day turn bad with meds that don't work and muscles that don't work until YOU don't work either.. We can compile a how to and a how not to for managing our fibro. No one else can do it. We are the experts. Who knows fibro like us?

Let's do it.

Bette

booch007 responded:
Good post Bette:

There are many times I have tricked this dragon and not got bit in the end.

It is joy.....I have learned for me, not to shop for food and do anything else, to clean the house and change the sheets as the primary thing for the day. I won't get in trouble.

In traveling.....I am careful to not carry much, keep the pocket book light or use a wagon quickly to support it (and me). A shoulder bag or backpack is helpful.

Speaking of traveling I need to find a high back chair for my break time...and get my head on it...to rest the neck muscles.

I have seen with me, when in LOVE...emersed in love (like my son's wedding day) I can be superwoman and be OK. But the cards are all held by our dragon........!@# is how I feel about that. I WILL NOT STOP living or trying because I might end up needing to take out the toolbox.

This a.m. I still argue with him...I have increased my meds and WILL have the BarB Q. I may cut a corner or two..but I will have it and rest/repair after for 2 days. All I thought when I got up at 90 y/o is that "I have grown accustomed to his face" (like the song) and what was earlier on in this, would not be tolerated...I accept now. It's taken a long time to get here. .

The strongest medicine we have in our bags is distraction and fortitude to work with this. Joy andl love are good medicine too. Laughter is* the best medicine.

Planning the day or the future event is so important to survive.
I have medicated when out in the middle of the store as I could feel I crossed my line. But I walked the line anyway and then my meds helped finish.

I believe more goes right* with me than wrong. That life is good in the face of the dragon*. His teeth are sharp at tiems but I am used to the bite and have many tools to repair myself when I have gotten into trouble. Life has downsized but not to a crawl.....Joy is still mixed in mix.

As I said, good post. Not sure I answered it right and know I rambled.... . Nancy B

booch007 replied to booch007's response:
HOLY CRAP.....

NO ONE has a story of something going RIGHT in there lives???

I thought this was a good post? Something positive among the negatives.....

How about a day you went out and paced through and it turned out GREAT. That you got to be with the GC and all the love that surrounded you was good medicine?

What about that dollar store hunt and something good was found...something you needed and there it was...and then you did even more before your body said...."nope" done...but you got there for those things ?

Cripes people...give us a bit....tell us what you DO....what good things happened because you even tried...
One of our problem is FEAR to BE OUT...to cross the line, so we stay home. We can be shut ins so easily. I myself would be awful if I didn't work and it pushes me out in the world.

Come on...share a story here for Bette and the Fmily. You have to have one. . Nancy B

Anon_10089 replied to booch007's response:
I can't really think of a specific event but I also try to limit certain errands or chores to one or two per day.

My husband and I went on a pretty big trip to China/Thailand/Singapore earlier this year. While I paid big time for it after, some tricks during the trip helped. We traveled for 3 weeks yet kept our bags to carry-on size. Not being in airports longer than you need to is a great help. My husband had wanted to do backpacks but I bought a lightweight, rolling suitcase. Also, I tried finding the perfect travel purse, but even purses that go across the body land right on my neck/shoulders. Finally, I realized I needed a smaller purse that cannot get heavy because I cannot carry a lot in it. I also insisted that my husband carry a bag when we were out and about. He's usually the type that just has a wallet but he was a good sport and carried the camera and water, etc.

I think a big part of this issue is that we must let go of the guilt and simply do what we need to. Even if the house isn't perfect, I'll sit down and put heat on my neck when I need to. I don't get everything done, ever. We really need to be able to look ahead, identify our triggers, and then take care of it.

So much of FM is the mental game. If I know ahead of time that a certain activity is going to cause a flare, when the flare happens, I'm not so upset about it. The pain and fatigue still suck, but at least I'm not angry or depressed (sometimes I am, though, who isn't?) I also remind my husband that if we do something, like a big trip, I'll probably be okay on the trip but will have a fallout after. That way, he's expecting it too.

meg_k replied to Anon_10089's response:
I have recently been trying mobility aids (scooters, wheelchairs) when I know I will need to do a lot of walking and standing, which *exhausts* me. It was a huge deal for me to admit I needed this help, and help it did!!!

How's that for somethin' good?

missist replied to meg_k's response:
I'm using my calendar program in my outlook email. I'm trying to get all my wandering thoughts down in the calendar and out of my mind.

its a good thing--works. Also when I see more than a couple things in one day I schedule new things for different days or weeks.

Its good to feel like I am productive & organized without feeling overwhelmed or too busy. I'm hoping this is going to be a good long term solution.

Also-- my hot tub is so awesome. I knew it would be!
Mary

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
think sometimes with me it is mind over body... sometimes i simply refuse to let the dragon get me down... sometimes when i have something joyful to look forward to. ... like my granddaughters birthday party tomorrow... sometimes not so joyful like my son's recent hospital stay... i just couldn't let my illnesses interfere with being where i was needed...

and even through my pneumonia and now the break in my arm... my fm has been relatively quiet... i sure thank god for that... don't get me wrong it has showed it's ugly head at times... but not near as bad as it could...

i think sometimes i am lucky... if my ms wants an hour it takes it... parkinsons 2 hours it takes it... fm an hour here and there... i just deal with it and then i take back what i can and make the best of life...

i have always looked at myself as being a survivor and look for the positive even if i feel buried in negative... and if i can't find it soon enough for my liking i pull out my "spiritual" toolbox... i begin working on the inside of me... heart... spirit... and soul... through meditation and self hypnosis... through positive feedback and searching for reachable dreams... i have a sense of rebuilding from the ground up... and become alive again...

i don't know how else to explain it... in my history of myself i find positive somewhere in all my negative... and i draw my daily life on that... hoping to be able to keep finding the positive... and use that to build a more positive... spiritual... whole... me...

this is a great topic... i am glad i could finally answer messages... {took a while but my browsers were the trouble makers... that's why i couldn't send messages}

you all take care... love... jan/dakota

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Good question to ask! I have found that not eating sugar will keep me feeling better. If I do eat it, I can tell almost right away that I start to hurt. I still eat sugar, but I have cut out a whole lot of it. If I am feeling good than I will not eat it at all. I have also started riding my electric scooter when a lot of walking is needed. That has really saved me from a lot of suffering. Sometimes I just have to talk myself into feeling better. I tell myself if I can just do this one thing I will rest for 15 minutes. Than I will do another thing. Doing that helps me and keep my spirits up. Then if I do get tired I just stop doing anything. I also make sure I take my medications every day. If I miss a dose I can really tell. So I got me a weekly pill container and that way I know right away if I miss a dose.

Thanks for asking this question. It is fun to tell things that make me feel better! My new puppy makes me feel better too. She gets so excited when I come home from work. She will run as fast as she can into my arms and lick me at least a hundred times. It is fun to have something love me that much!

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.