Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
trigger point therapy
fibrokathy posted:
I am curious about how trigger point therapy might help my FM. I have the generalized FM pain but don't believe I have any trigger points that refer pain.

Do the trigger point injections help you with the tender point pain and all over body pain?

missist responded:
I will take a stab at this- although I haven't had trigger point therapy--but I know some here have. It is for myofascial pain--which is not the general all over pain--but rather the specifically intense issues with a specific area. For instance-- my upper legs and butt mucles are horrid-- for the past year. If I can find a dr that has a clue about this--i will be willing to try injections or acupuncture or massage- anything that would get those muscles to finally stop being so tense.

I stretch them constantly and they do not improve.

That is the kind of issue trigger point therapy is for.

tender points are different. --they are the areas that hurt when they are touched that doctors can use to confirm a suspected case of fibromyalgia after all of the similar illnesses have been ruled out.

Hope that helps.
Mary

bette_kaffitz responded:
Kathy,

Many of the FM tender points are also myofascial trigger points.
Trigger points are knots of muscle fiber that are stuck together. They are painful like the tender points your doctor used to diagnose fibro, but they also may refer pain to another part of the body.

The trigger point therapy can be shots you get at the doctor's office (lidocaine or something like it), or deep muscle stimulation using a hand, a tennis ball, or a special tool that can help you reach difficult areas. Both methods are aimed at dislodging the tight, ropey bands of muscles that are stuck together. If the therapy works, the muscles will unstick and will be able to work correctly again. The gluelike substance that was holding them together will be reabsorbed and removed through the blood and/or lymph. You have to be especially careful to keep well hydrated so that these sticky substances can be flushed out through the kidneys without causing you to feel just horrible.

Like all of the treatments we try, trigger point therapy works for some of us some of the time. No one knows why this is so.

Dr. Devin Starlanyl's books tell about these techniques. There is also a handbook, The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies, that tells how to do self-treatment.

I get the trigger point injections in the muscles along my spine. They seem to help, but I think the changes for me are subtle not dramatic. Like all injections, they do hurt.

Hope this helps you.

Bette

booch007 responded:
Good morning Kathy,

I have used this therapy for over 10 years now and I will say it is not for the faint in heart. But my relief is amazing, it is what keeps me working and getting out of the hole I get in.

I am very active despite the trigger points. My Range of motion is less because of them and the injections let me free...

I tried trigger point massage and it was too painful to tolerate it also made me nauseous often after. Breaking the TrP"s gives off toxins and debris and that in my system with massage was too extremem in all ways. With injections it is a sting, hope a twitch and release and then ahhhhh. better. Better can take 2 days though. But I am so improved from where I was.

Remember anything I have written here and you can click on my Booch007 and see....I have changed everything in my life to accomodate this as well as fight this.

I just received the book of Dr Starlanyls whom I cherish. I do not think I have FM I have CMP/TrP's but she says if you have FM you always have trigger points. Trigger point patients don't always have FM. Learning more physiology for me is helpful to help myself and that is my goal. My neurologist is waiting to get the book from me.....

I have always shared the news I find to keep her in the loop. There is no way they can read everything and stay on top of everything. So I help where I can.

I on exam have areas that are like bee stings and someof them refer to the ear (in the mid back) or to a headache once stimulated.....so there is the referred part. If you have DH examine your back by massage and palpation....and in pressing you will feel these spots and see if you feel pain in another spot.

Now after a markig session by DH I am wiped, often with a headache from the stimulation of the spots....so be prepared.
MD's never took the time my DH did to find my places. I go in the office at times marked to help her get through the session better. ALWAYS symetrical (funny when you have a dominant side)

It is my preferred treatment and will always have it.

I now pay 100.00 a session for the 30minute time. I am happy with that and so glad to have it available.

Look into the book FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain, a Survival Manual by Dr Devin Starlanyl..it was 19.99 on amazon. Things have changed a little bit but the book is still potent to help.

Good luck. My first session I cried and thought I was out of my mind to do this.....but she had me at knowing my symptoms and what caused them...I wouldn't leave her. So I knew the answer was in her books.......I bought them read them and still work on getting the best out of them.

OK, good luck I am always around on the weekends...nancy B

fibrokathy replied to booch007's response:
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with me. I have an appointment with my physical medicine doctor this week so I plan to discuss the tight bands of muscle on the left side of neck and shoulder that at times go into spasm.

I also have the tight thigh muscles and calf muscles that I stretch quite frequently. I have recently read on this sight that we are lacking in ATP (energy) and because of this our muscles will be tight and go into spasms.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.