Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Solutions for Memory Issues
missist posted:
I'm just wondering what some of you do to combat a bad memory. I'm finding I must learn NOT to multi task.

I've been missing a lot of the tasks I need to do, details to deal with etc becuase my memory is so bad.

I'm looking to possibly start using a good to-do list or calendar app that would work with my pc and maybe my phone too.

I currently have notepads all over the house including the bathroom! Just in case I think of something while brushing my teeth LOL.. so I can write it down and try to not forget it.

What do you use/do about this? how bad is your memory? Do you often have to re-do things?
thanks!
Mary

Take the Poll

What do you use to remember things?
  • notes all over the house
  • a paper planner
  • a computer app calendar
  • a computer app to do list
  • other
vote
View Poll Results

bette_kaffitz responded:
Mary,

Have you tried this? Each night before you go to bed, write a list of the things to do the next day. Make a column for the near future, too, so you won't forget. In the morning, check your list and decide what to do when (you certainly didn't know last night how you would feel this morning, so you couldn't plan logistics). That night, draw a single line through every thing you accomplished. Make tomorrow's list carrying over anything you didn't get to that day. Celebrate all the things you DID do, and don't dwell on the things you'll do tomorrow.

Crossing off the done deeds is so satisfying. Knowing what you will be doing tomorrow keeps you from lying in bed worrying about forgetting them tomorrow.

I use a small notebook that fits in a jeans pocket. It's always with me to check on what's next.

Bette

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Hi Bette. I used to use a notebook a lot--and I have little pads in different rooms cuz I can't remember things sometimes as I walk from point A to point B in my house!

I'm trying to really deal with this memory issue now. Its the next issue in need of help.

Anyhow I decided to start making more use of outlook in my pc- mainly becuase I can schedule and reschedule tasks in it very easily and it will Alert me to tasks that are in need of my attention-- it actually pops up.

I'm on pc most of the day since I have an online business so I think I'll go with this.

I remember when my kids were all home I used to have a 'to-did' list.

Reason being I needed to feel like SOMETHING was getting done. It was cool cuz it showed me that although I felt useless with fibro-- I was actually doing a heckuva lot of stuff.

Mary

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
use all the above but mostly my phone... i put items i need to do i my calendar... my phone is always with me... it is a cellphone... i actually carry my old iphone too for alarms for meds and appointments...

i have some notes about the house but knowing me i forget where i put them lol.. my computer is on most of the time so sometimes i get double messages... and then i might listen to them... lol... sometimes i might be busy and just tell it to remind me again... mmm... truthfully... sometimes i shut the alarm off and forget it anyway... lol... but i am getting better at not doing that... lol...

hey i am a well known procrastinater... lol... alarms are my excuse to test the sleeper button... lol... i love the extra 10 minutes to think about things lol...

well... speaking of alarms one is due to go off in an hour for supper... i have me this tv dinner to make for tonight... question is do i cook it or microwave it lol... think it is cook it so i need to get it going... it is chicken and it is better cooked...

anyway there is thunder in the sky... need to get off the computer... expecting a bad storm if it doesn't blow over us again...

you take care... love... jan/dakota

missist replied to dakotaspirit1957's response:

I'm using outlook on my pc now to remember for me. Its great--I also realize now that I can be less frazzled if I don't have to spare brain power for remembering tasks I need to do.

I'm scheduling reminders way into the next several weeks.

I too am a procrastinator--but I'm always trying to overcome that.

OH--and I agree with the frozen dinner- they usually are better cooked in the oven or some other way than microwave. Since I'm alone most of the time I get a lot of freezer meals.
Otherwise I end up eating junk too much cuz I don't have energy to cook proper meals 'just for me'.

Anyhow using the pc is great. I am thinking about putting outlook on my phone too--but so far-- I don't think I need that.

You take care too!
Mary

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
367 of 394 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.