Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help! Knee cramps at night.
debrabrooks1960 posted:
I wanted to ask if anyone else suffers from knee cramps in the middle of the night? They are more like a charlie horse just under the knee. I wake up to terrible pain and my leg from my knee toward my ankle draws up on me. It hurts so bad till I can straighted my let out straight. This started a few weeks ago with one episode happening everynight. Then it went to two and last night I had three episodes. It is happening on the same knee that I had surgery on last November. I have had charlie horses in my thighs and feet but never in the knee. I have read of others having them but not in the knee so far. I have started eating banana's to see if that might help, but no help as of today. Any suggestions would be grateful.

Thanks,
Debbie Lewis
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Wolfsong452 responded:
I have something similar, mine isn't the legs, it's my arms,.

doctor said it's restless leg syndrome, even though it's my upper body

franr responded:
Good Morning Debra
Maybe its time you see a MD. They may want to run some blood tests and do an ultrasound .It is better be safe than sorry. Hope you make out good let us know. Fran

bette_kaffitz replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Debbie,

I'm with Fran. This problem is excellerating. And that is not something you want to continue. Imagine what would happen if you waited until this happened 10 times each night!

Get thee to a doctor you trust--ASAP!

Please!

Bette

debrabrooks1960 replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
You are so correct Betty. I had not thought of it like that. I am calling tomorrow for an appt. Thanks so much.

Debbie

debrabrooks1960 replied to franr's response:
Dear Fran,
I am calling tomorrow to get an appt to see my doctor. Thanks for your kind words.

Debbie

debrabrooks1960 replied to Wolfsong452's response:
I do have restless leg syndrome. I am making an appt tomorrow to my doctor. I will bring up restless leg and see if that could be part of it. Thanks for your reply. It gave me something to think about.

Debbie

lorip123 responded:
This has just started recently for me. It is excruciating! Sometimes it lasts what seems a very long time and other times shorter, but the pain is still horrible. I have cried during them, and I'm not a crier,(a whiner maybe) but not a crier. I don't know what to do for them either. They are not stopping, but they don't come every night. I do have feet pain now constantly that I never used to have. I don't know if that's related or not. I can't find a Dr. who can deal with me and all my ailments. What do you do?
Thanks,
Lori

debrabrooks1960 replied to lorip123's response:
Dear Lori,
I have been eating banana's and luckily I have not had a spasm or what ever it is called in 3 nights. Now that I have said that I will probally have have them tonight. I am clueless to what causes them. I have cried too, until the pain goes away. I see a Rheumatolgist (I hope I spelled that correctly). He is very understanding and his motto is, "if you are in pain, I will listen and believe you". It may not be those exact words but it is close. I have to drive a 3 hour round trip to see him, but it is worth it. I will keep you in my prayers. It sounds like you are going through alot. It is so hard having fibromyalgia. It seems like I start to feel better in one area, only to start hurting in another area. I have just learned to deal with the problem of the day. I love Stoppain spray or rollon that you can buy at Walmart. I paid $8.00 for mine. It works wonderfully on the sharp shooting pains, or pain that last a long time. I find hot showers before bed helps too. I have gotten so many helpful things to try from this website. Most are free or low costing. So it is worth trying. Plus you can ask any questions or just cry and everyone will listen to you and be there to help in anyway they can. Please keep in touch so we will know how you are doing. I will worry about you.
Take care and soft hugs,
Debbie

bette_kaffitz replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
Deb,

We all hope the banana made the pain go away, but let's get real. If the pain comes back, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get it checked out.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm worried that the knee from hell will come back. It will be at least 3 times worse than it was. And it will, of course, incapacitate you at midnight on Friday night. You will not be able to even call for an appt. until Monday morning. In the meantime, you will suffer 2 1/2 days of utter agony.

Don't let this happen. At the first twinge of your knee pain returning, call your doctor.

Bette

deansmimi responded:
Hi Debbie, I don't write too often, as I have to stand up to type. but, I wanted to tell you what has always helped me for years. I take three pills under my tongue of "Hylands Leg cramps" It's homeopathic and no side effects.It works pretty
quick. I order from Swanson's Health . All my vitamins and supplements, also. They are the least expensive and the best.I also buy Swansons "Fibromyalgia''. homopathy.

Good luck and God Bless,
Marie

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
457 of 532 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.