Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    back pain
    An_253565 posted:
    I have been suffering with back pain for over 35 years. All my Dr.'s do is give me pills which I only take when I just cannot stand the pain any longer. I have been through P.T. several times with little help.

    What has help in the past and my insurance does not cover or do is Trigger Point Therapy. I am in the Sacramento, Calif. area. Does anyone know of a Dr. or facility that does Trigger Point Therapy near me? Thanks, Debbie
    missist responded:
    Hi.. looks like nobody from your area is online this evening. I don't know if you've googled it? you can start maybe by looking for some of the alternative practices. there is a massage therapy place in our area that does some trigger release work, acupuncturists may have some experience too, or chiropracter maybe. I know one of the gals on here has injections done by a neurologist. Have you asked your dr if they know anyone you could be referred to? just another thought. I also saw some youtube videos that have some self- release methods for some trigger points.
    Not sure if that helps at all, but maybe someone will come along with info about your area.
    Cant say much more but I am sorry you aren't getting the help you need yet.
    Will pray for you,
    dollbug responded:
    Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC....I wanted to let you know that WebMD does not allow us to provide any doctors on this site. But you can look under *resources* and find the NFA and I think you can put in a city and perhaps the closest doctors will be shown. I would also encourage you to see if you are close to a *medical hospital* which educates students. These are normally good places to go.

    I also want to tell you that I, too, had major lower back pain for a while. To make a long story short....I tried P5P which you can find at a vitamin store. It is a processed form of Vitamin B 6. I have been on it for several months now and it has been a blessing for me. I no longer have the back pain that I had as long as I take one of the capsules every 24 hours or so. I went to several doctors who had no idea what was causing my back pain. I did speak to my doctor about taking it the other day when I had an appointment and he said that it is fine....would not be any sort of problem as the body gets rid of any of the Vitamin B's that it does not use.

    When I tried this I had no idea that it would help me. I do know that I could only get some relief when I use a moist heating pad. I no longer have to use it now.

    The man at the vitamin store told me that IF it was going to help me that I would know by the time I took the first bottle. I felt a difference in less than 2 weeks.

    I know just how pain can turn us into people that we do NOT like being. I hope you find something that will help you cope better soon. I am sure that there is something that will help, you just have to figure out what it is.

    Take care and good luck.


    Anon_10089 responded:

    I live in Sacramento. I don't receive trigger point therapy so I can't recommend a facility. However, I find that Sacramento has a large base of people who use sites like Yelp to rate all kinds of things--even doctors and dentists. The nice thing, is that you can read their reviews to get a better idea of the environment of a practice.

    I'm sure you can find someone. There are so many types of professionals here. Also, you could check in the outlying areas like Davis or Roseville.

    I hope you find what you're looking for!
    meg_k replied to Anon_10089's response:
    Just a suggestion to consider trying one of the FM chronic pain drugs -- Cymbalta, Savella, or Lyrica. You take them all the time, not just when you hurt, and many do find it reduces overall pain. Also, I second the idea of supplements if you are deficient, as MiMi rightly says. A friend who's an osteopath specifically recommended "oily" supplements such as fish oil to help the fascia from sticking together and forming trigger points.

    May I also suggest instituting a routine of hot baths (if you can do a bathtub safely) or at least hot showers. Or go to the Y and sit in their Jacuzzi until they kick you out. I have experienced good relief from myofascial pain from hot tubs!

    Good luck...know you are not alone!!!!
    seanymph replied to missist's response:
    You are so sweet. Thank you for the information. Chiropractors, acupuncturist and massage does not work. What did work was the trigger point therapy. I just cannot find any one who does that in the greater Sacramento area..
    Could you give me name of place that does trigger release work? I have had the injections before and they too work. Where do I find the neurologist that does the injections. I can be pain free with injections for 3 weeks, sometimes longer. This all started in 1985 when I was struck by a vehicle from behind while I was walking in a marked walking zone.
    dollbug replied to seanymph's response:
    Hello seanymph....this web site does not allow the users to provide doctors' names and/or information about them. You need to call around in your local area and I am sure someone will direct you to where you can get some help. If you have a teaching hospital close to you, this would be a very good place to start.

    I am sure that some of the doctors' offices could direct you as well.

    This community is a support group for people to communicate with others about what has helped them cope better. You can find some good info under *tips* and *resources* here.

    Take care and good luck to you.


    booch007 responded:
    Deb, that is exactly what this brain was thinking. YOU NEED TRIGGER POINT INJECTIONS. I pay 100.00 a session now to get mine.

    Call a teaching hospital Neurology Dept and see if they offer trigger point injections. You can get in for the *first* visit with insurance (neurogenis back pain) and then pay out of pocket for the therapy. I am in NY. See what you can come up with (with the doctor) they set the price on the shots....(not the office manager)

    In the Chiropractic world there are trigger point massage therapists but that work is so painful...the shot is faster and more responsive for the body.......but you may also benefit from a back adjustment that is creating the muscle dysfunction as well. So that is another avenue to walk.

    Ask around to get that referral...not just any chiropractor...

    Heat and laying on the floor with pelvic tilts ( lifting you butt up and tilting the pelvis forward...stretches the lumbar spine a bit) may help in the mean time. Good luck, back pain is crippling. Of all the pain I get...that can stop me in my tracks as the legs follow......

    Good luck, Nancy B

    Helpful Tips

    Vitamin D level checked ***
    I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    233 of 263 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.