Skip to content
TGIF****13th of Sept....Roll Call ***New members ***
dollbug posted:
OMG****I did NOT realize it is Friday, the 13th until just now....perhaps this is why I did NOT start off good. I have no idea. Woke up too darn early this morning and not only is my right knee giving me problems....my left knee is also. Well, I am sure I will soon be in deep trouble, unless things get better. Not a good thing when there are problems with both.

I do hope each of you had a good night's rest and I hope today will be a good day for us all, with little to no pain.

It has turned cool here as well. Yesterday we were suppose to get *showers*....ours turned out to be a *STORM*....with lots of rain and wind and thunder and lightning as well. Seems like no one expected this. I know I didn't. I waited thinking it would soon shower as I did not water my plants...it got really *hot* though and I decided to go out and give them some....well, within about 30 minutes or so I heard the thunder first and then is started in...it was short, thank goodness, but it sure leave a lot of water everywhere...I hope my plants did not drown.

We took my husband's sister and DH out to dinner to celebrate their birthdays...81 years young. We have a nice dinner and fellowship. His sister was saying that she has outlived both parent's ages...which was 66 and 71. She is the oldest. There are only 2 boys and 3 girls left now out of 8 children. My DH being the youngest boy, with a sister under him. Time sure does fly by.

Welcome to the new members who have joined our FM support group. I am sure that each of you will soon find something that will help you cope better. Be sure and check out the info under *tips* and *resources* and review the *member toolbox*....you will find some good tips that perhaps you have not thought of trying.

Vitamin D....be sure and speak to your doctor about getting your Vitamin D level checked....which is important to a lot of people these days.

Each Friday we have Roll Call and we hope you will check in and update the FMily on whatever you care to share. Tell us IF and WHEN you find something that really helps you cope. Perhaps what you find might also help someone else. You never know until you try what just might be the *right fix* which will make a difference for the way you feel. It does take time and effort so hang in there and continue to keep on keeping on....they is a *pot of luck* at the end of the rainbow. By the way, I saw a rainbow yesterday...the first one I have seen in a very long time....it appeared right after the storm we had.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I hope Friday 13th is a good day for everyone.

Remember to pace, pace and pace even more.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

TurtleRunnerNC responded:
Turtle checking in.

Mimi sorry your knees are giving you grief. Probably the weather change. Oh, my mom had her knee replaced ( she was bone on bone, not sleeping, in agony) and wishes she had done it sooner. Her recovery was a little rough at first with muscle spasms but once she got past that it has been great.

We had a good storm here last night too.

I have been feeling really good.this week. Trying to behave and not do too much and pay for it !

Tonight I am doing the Electric Run with some neighborhood friends. It looks like so much fun. I can't wait.

Lots of work to squeeze in today as i need to take off early.

Daughter came home sick from.school yesterday. Bad sore throat, headache and generally crappy

Hope everyone has a great pain free day !

meg_k replied to TurtleRunnerNC's response:
MiMi, sorry about the knees but glad you were able to go out and enjoy yourself for the birthday celebration.

I'm back to trying Dr. Teitelbaum's vitamin/amino acid powder:
https://secure.endfatigue.com/store/products/supplements/energy-citrus/

and taking acetyl-l-carnitine supplements:
http://www.endfatigue.com/tools-support/Acetyl-l-carnitine-For-Cfs-Cancer-Related-Fatigue-And-Fibromyalgia.html .

Maybe it's placebo effect but I do feel fairly good lately (relative to recent past anyway, still not "normal"). I had tried them previously and I don't know that they helped, but the more I read the more I thought I should try them again. Has anyone else had luck with these products?

Can finally get my labs checked this week when I go in to see the psychiatrist...want to check B1, B6, B12, and of course D! Hoping they've increased!!!

So, that's what's on my mind this week.

Finally a beautiful fall day in MN. Hoping for rain, though.

Hoping for pain free and energized weekends for everyone!

Meg K

katmandulou responded:
TGI... wait what day is it? FRIDAY!

We had nasty weather last night, a line of t-storms that blew through just after 10. The dog was freaked out for a little while. DH kept flipping between the football game (where they kept playing in spite of the lightning) and the baseball game (at "The Trop" in Florida). One win one loss, it's a new day in the low 70s. it's still summer friends!

The meeting yesterday went exactly as I expected, with an unexpected twist. Dad will not be going home, but he does have a dementia diagnosis, which will make it easier to get him in the same place as Mom. I have it narrowed down to two places, and I've asked one of my brothers to check out location S. One sib likes Location E, one location S, and I need a tie-breaker. I know that whatever I decide will be wrong in someone's opinion, but my parents set up their affairs the way they wanted to, and I'm in charge now.

DH and I have big plans for the weekend. It's someone's birthday, so we'll have a TBW - Total Birthday Weekend. The birthday person gets to choose everything we do. I'll report back next week!

MiMi, my parents are both 80, celebrating being around this long is sometimes a bleating, sometimes not. Enjoy them while they're here!

Turtle, I googled "Electric Run", it looks like loads of fun!

Meg, do you take these for specific or general pain? What does your doc think? Maybe it's the stress, but I wake every morning with specific pain, this morning it was my back. My doc doesn't want me to take anything for a long period of time bc I have liver issues.

I wish you all the best day - and the best weekend - that you can possibly have!
Lou

bette_kaffitz responded:
MiMi,

Those knees are really getting you down. That is such a shame. There has to be an answer. With your smarts, I am sure you will find the best answer for YOU. (I'll give advice out--free of charge and at the drop of a hat to anyone but you. You are really on top of things. Anything I said would be superfluous.)

My dad always said, "If you want it to rain, just wash your car." I guess you can add watering the yard to that list." We had some real gully washers on Wednesday night and Thursday then a few sprinkles today.

Saw my nurse practicioner today. She ordered a slew of blood tests (7 vials) and a nerve conduction study for my hand/neck/arm/shoulder pain and tingling. We're holding off on another cervical MRI until these all come back. Hey, do the least invasive stuff first.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day and a marvelous weekend. Little if no pain. Lots of refreshing sleep. And no visits from all the other myriad symptoms we bounce in and out of.

Bette

rudyandirmouse responded:
TGIF to all. If you believe in the bad luck of a day effecting yours, well it's the13TH so be careful out there. I hope each of you had a good yesterday and are having a good today.

Good temps here yesterday and again today. No sign of rain or storms, so a good day. The weather people are saying a significant cold front heading down this way while we're gone. UGH. Fall. So Not ready. But I have tried to get into the sprit of it by putting up the Fall wreath and fake pumpkins on the front porch for the Fall effect. Had to as every house on the block had their Fall things out. Next it's the Halloween things. ( UGH neighbor across the street will begin to put her things out next week and by Halloween it will be an Eye Sore. ) I went thru them up in the attic while getting the fake pumpkins. Gosh these holidays are coming so quickly.

MiMi, am so sorry your knee is hurting you so. I hope they set a quick surgery appointment for you and get your knee squared away so you'll be out of pain really soon.

DH and I did a lot of errands and dr appointments yesterday. DH had the cyst on his hand taken care of.. really simple. They just gave him a cortisone shot and it will dissolve by itself.
I had my recheck with the PCP about the migraines and it went well. Then we went looking for shorts and tank tops for Hawai'i and found most stores we went into had nothing. Everything is Fall clothing. Finally found clear-outs at Wal-Mart. Whew there. Was afraid I'd had to spend time looking for clothes while in LA or Hawai'i and frankly didn't care to do that. So now those things are in the suitcase.

I also stopped at Victoria Secrets to look for some underthings. While shopping there, DH found a women's cologne he liked and bought it for me. How Sweet.. love this guy so much!! But when I got it home UGH the scent is sooo not my style. But I put it in the suitcase.
Anyway, got all the things done that lets us head out of town. I even got my new cell phone checked cause it was heating up. Being new I didn't know the different safe ways to charge it. Anyway we're ready to head out the door Wednesday.

Lou, I am guessing keeping both your mom and dad in one care rehab center is good thing. And getting your father DX'd also is a help for letting them be together. A good thing really. Being together may help them do better. I only had my MIL in a care Rehab center and except for one time we think she was assaulted it was a good place for her and she did well during her time there.

Cory, glad you have those hours behind you. You get to recoup now?

TurtleRunner, the Eclectic Run sounds fun. Have a good run and a good time there. My DH and DD are marathon runners. My DD is in training for Boston. My DH has already run it @ 2:45. The game plan for next year is for DH and DD to run it and finish together.. I will be at the finish line .. this is a scary thought for me now after last year's finish line bombing. I keep thinking lightening doesn't hit twice in the same place.. yet my AC had been hit and disabled twice by lightening...I know keep good thoughts..

Meg_K glad your feeling better using these supplements. I can't so many things now that would have helped me feel better because of allergies. I used to be able take fish oil with no problem now it triggers IBS so bad I end up at the ER. Someone lied to me when they said the fibro symptoms I had back in the 70's were as bad as they'd ever get.

Guess I should get off line here and get ready for my neck appointment at 1. As always, sending each wishes for a good day.. a fibro issue and pain free day.

Gentle hugs, Linda R.

bette_kaffitz replied to katmandulou's response:
Lou,

The dear couple who were like another set of grandparents to us went to the same nursing home at the same time. Unfortunately, they needed different levels of care. They wound up in different wings. They visited back and forth during the day but their wings had different lunch times and different nursing staff. It was better than different homes, but far from ideal. They had been married since their teens, and after 60 years of saying goodnight in the same room, it was so sad.

Please check into this possible complication. If one home will let them share the room, and they are otherwise equal, you will have a real tiebreaker.

You are in a hard place, but you still have these dear people in your life. My dad died when I was 16. It was a big loss. But there is a giant hole in my heart since Mom passed away in 1996. Guess when the fibro became unbearable after 24 years of coping?

While you still have the option, get information about your parents earlier life. They may remember things from the old days clearly, while forgetting your mature face. "Remember when" can often bring a smile or even a belly laugh.

Bette

mnjeepguy responded:
Good afternoon everyone. I made it home by 10:15 this morning. I had a few loose ends to tie up before I left. The way it works is that if I am one of the first couple of people to ask, I can leave when my hours are in if the mill is running well.

I could use the rest after this week. I am in good spirits though, better than in a long time. I think it is the fall like weather, I love this time of year. It is chilly in the morning but nice 60's during the day. The air feels clean and crisp, the bugs are fading out, and it's a great time to take in the sites. Soon the fall colors will be here and the true beauty of this area will show itself.

I caught an amazing sunset in front of my house the other night I want to share. Funny, my twin brother was at his house 10 blocks straight north and we both posted a pic of it 4 minutes apart without knowing.

Mimi, I know when I have a knee problem for long they both hurt. From correcting your gate and nursing the bad one, it puts more load on the better one. Take it easy ok?

Turtle, good luck on the run, have fun!

Meg, good luck with your trials and keep us posted on long term results.

Lou, enjoy your weekend!

Bette, thanks again for the tips, I will try anything to see if it helps, but I can't switch shoes, I wear steal toe boots, or Aluminum like I have now.

Linda, thanks I will be recouping for sure.

Have a great day everyone, take care.

Cory

dollbug replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Hello Cory.....smart minds think alike....what a beautiful picture....thanks for sharing this.

You are correct about the knees....since my accident back in the 80's I have had issues with the left knee just off and on though. There was a point in time when the knee doctor told me after x-raying both of them said my good knee was worse than my bad knee and that I really need some surgery done in it. I laughed and told him....well, when I come back in a wheel chair and can no longer walk...I guess it will be time for it then. I have no intent to having anything done to it. Dealing with the right one is quite enough. Actually I would NOT even do anything now....but when I get to where I can NOT drive due to pain from moving my foot from the gas pedal to the brake....then I know it is time to do something....as I am in trouble. I do not take chances.

Have a good day. Thanks again for sharing this.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

rudyandirmouse replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Oh my goodness Cory this is a beautiful picture. Thank you, thank you thank, you for sharing it.

bette_kaffitz replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Cory,

You got an incredible photo. It would make a great poster.

My sister and her husband got one by accident. When the Statue of Liberty had it's big 100th birthday, they took their sailboat out to see the fireworks. Wouldn't you know it, the secret service asked them to move when the President's Marine One wanted the spot they had chosen and been anchored at all day.

Fast forward several months. A boating friend saw a photo in a colleague's office and said, "I know that boat." He got the negative (It was a long time back!) and had a poster made up for DS and BIL. It hangs with pride in their living room. Their boat, The Adventuress, is in the foreground with fireworks exploding with light and color above them, framing the boat.

You and your brother should both get prints made and hang them side by side. What an impact!

Sorry the shoes are a bust. Maybe those Dr. Sholls inserts might make a difference? You work some horrendous hours.
It's great that you get to enjoy your time off. Have a super weekend.

Bette

bette_kaffitz replied to dollbug's response:
MiMi,

Boy, we get some tough decisions in life. Without your car, you are so limited. The subject of being able to turn my neck to see while driving came up at my nurse practicioner visit today. I can only turn about 2/3 of the way left or right. And with the damage at waist level, there's no way I can turn my torso to compensate.
I added those round mirrors truckers have to my side views.

Just another of those little--and not so little--indignities thrown at us by our unpredictable bodies.

Hope your weekend is dry, comfortably warm, and full of fun, family, and joy.

Bette

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.