Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
In the post-nerve-block honeymoon stage
bette_kaffitz posted:
Good Saturday Morning to All,

Don't laugh too loud, but I just emptied the dishwasher for the first time in over a month. DH was ecstatic. (Don't know where he got the idea that it was his job to dirty everything in the house and mine to clean everything. Luckily, that seems to have been bred out of the younger generation of men.) I won't press my luck and try the dreaded vacuum, though.

If you have, along with all your other gifts from FM, a specific area of your body that just keeps making you miserable (mine is the spine at my waistline), you might consider nerve blocks. These injections do help many people. We come back every 3, or 6, or 9, or 12 months to get these lidocaine-like shots into the branches that stem out the spinal chord between the individual bones. I get one one the left and one on the right at L-4. They seem to last pretty well for 3 months. They do hurt. But if they didn't work, you wouldn't see people in that waiting room down at O.P. surgery coming back for more. I think I've been doing this for about 10 years now. They keep me vertical. I really don't think I would be able to get out of bed today, if I hadn't had all these years of nerve blocks.

It's a cool day here in W NY with the leaves just starting to turn--more yellow than red at this stage. Hubby fired up the outdoor woodstove for the first time this year. About the time the house got down to 60 by suppertime last night, it was more than welcome. I think this intolerance of hot and cold weather is universal to us FMers. It is just one more thing that narrows our lives.

Which is why it is so important for us to find the little things that can make such a big difference in our lives. Try that aquatic class at the Y. Visit that psychologist for ways to calm your body. Attend your church. Go for a walk. Clean one little corner of your house if that's all the energy you have. Then go and enjoy YOUR corner. All these seemingly little things (like emptying the dishwasher) are ways to reinforce your joy in life. Some of them cost money. Some don't. Some may expend your precious supply of energy. Some don't. Be selective, but do something that betters your life every day. Make it a habit. Then when the bad days come (and we all know there ARE some of them coming) you will have a built in mechanism to make even those days better.

Okay, down from the soapbox. Have a joyous weekend, everyone!

Bette

fibrokathy responded:
Bette,

Thank you for the great suggestions. I get upset because I can't do everything on my list anymore-I work part-time and still have two kids at home. Fortunately, I have learned to live with a messier house and find myself delegating a bit more. Years ago I had to do everything myself so it would be done "right".

I try to take a walk a few days a week in a county park near my house and it gives me a lot of joy. I am in SE Michigan and it was cold here this morning . It's time to break out the down comforters and heated mattress pad.

bette_kaffitz replied to fibrokathy's response:
Kathy,

I'm so happy that some of this was helpful.

You are so right about walks and their ability to renew, refresh, and just bring joy to us.

Hope you can continue to enjoy your walks for most of the winter in safety (no ice on paths) and comfort (a little nip in the air, but no bitter north winds).

We are in SW NY about 100 miles from Lake Erie and luckily
beyond the lake snow bands. But we do get down to 20 below at least once every February. Our road gets icy in late December and the winter sun never hits it because of trees and hills to the south. No walks. But I can drive to town and walk along the Genesee River on always-plowed walkways.

Lace up those sneakers!

Bette

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.