Skip to content
sunshine - heat makes me ill
Wolfsong452 posted:
ok. got off from work this morning at 6 am. Went home slept a couple of hours then went to yard sales.

After being in the sun from 9 am till 11:30 am, I'm now feeling ill. Very sleepy, feverish, (yet no fever)

I hate when this happens.

This happens all the time, no it isn't because of work.

I eventually get somewhat used to it. Not as tired or feverish. I usually blame it on getting a sun burn. I'm fair skinned, don't tan much, and burn very easy.

ack!

I want to go back to sleep. It's 11:45 pm and I still have almost 6 more hours to go before I can go home!

I did a google and found conflicting information. Being dehydrated etc,

Lupus, been checked twice and come up negative.

so, life sucks!

everyone in my family is tanned and brown and can be out in the sun for hours.

Me,, if I do stay out all day, then I pay for it the next few days, not from a sunburn, just excessive tiredness, feverish aching.

ack!

booch007 responded:
We are rarely tan...I am in the sun though for my D....

This is what I can say..when you are 60 you will not be all wrinkly and will look younger. My Sis and Bro look so much older that me. There faces have exposure issues. I really have held up well. So there is the good side to the penny.

I worked nights almost my whole career in the hospital and it sounds to me that you got off from work at 6am and somehow you were at yard sales by 9am so where was the sleeping??

Lack of sleep and push by me did so many things and symptoms but I did them out of need for my children. I do think it is part of the road here to this page. So that is what I see when I read this....

A tired :beautifully unwrinkled person who needs to sleep,

You knoe the saying " Where's the beef/" Well "Where's the sleep????"

Nancy B

bette_kaffitz responded:
About that tanning, my DS and BIL would go out on their boat at the Jersey shore every weekend for about 20 years. BIL lost most of his scalp's skin to skin cancer. And he always wore one of those railroad engineers' type striped cap! DS has used sun screen for most of that time. She (the dirty rat of a size still looks pretty good.

My DH has strawberry blond hair and skin to match. He won't let me make him an apt. with the dermatologist. I go every year. I always know where I'll be on the first Friday in May. The basal cell carcinoma in the fold between nose and cheek waited 6 years to come back. It was excised again. And since then, I get every inch of skin checked. There's no excuse for letting any kind of cancer that's that visible just stay there and get a chance to do you harm.

There was a time when the ozone layer protected us from the sun's harmful rays. It was safe to tan. And it really felt great!
But those days are long gone. Your 10 minutes a day for natural vitamin D is all anyone should have--ever!

All of you here are so precious. We need each other. Don't take chances. NO TANNING.

Bette

Wolfsong452 replied to booch007's response:
I know that it sounds I didn't get any sleep on Sat. but I did after being at the yard sales.

I didn't have to be back at work until 10 pm.

This heat sun thing that makes me feel ill, or feverish and tired I've had for years.

It's not something that has recently come up.

missist replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Hi..
I wilt in heat too. Frustrating becuase I love to garden, but I'm seeing more and more I need to work around the edges of summer-- work in fall and spring and try to set it up so I can avoid being in the heat of summer. (our longest season sometimes)

Fibro can make you really unable to handle heat--so can MS or various auto immunes. Fibro I think is the 'great imitator' you get all the various symptoms of other diseases without the clinical proof of them.

Rest up,
Mary

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
hi wolfsong... one armed and no caps unless i overwork this already overworked hand here... lol...

i too carry the heat curse with me... i have 3 things now that don't like heat... ms... fm... and now parkinsons... it is 7:38 am and 81*... due to be 105* in mesa today... in a couple of weeks i can be enjoying weather like they are having in alamogordo nm... rain and 61 right now... with 85* being their high for the day... i can't wait to leave this heat... lol...

i still push myself too much in the heat... there is a breeze so i can justify sitting outside a little longer... but i am in the shade too... i can feel when the weakness is going to hit... i get shakey from my parkinsons... so far so good this morning... lol...

i do understand the frustration... if i sat in the sun for a whole 10 minutes for vit d treatments i would fall out of my wheelchair trying to get into the shade... 3 - 4 minutes is pushing it... but sometimes i swear the sun is closer to arizona then anywhere i have ever been... but i can hadle a couple of minutes her and ther...

i needless to say can't go anywhere outside of must see dr's... and a rare evening jaunt to walmart... after dark and hopefully lower than 100* in temp... doesn't happen often...

won't happen today... 92* now... gotta run for cover...

take care and if this heat problem has been here a long time i would have a talk with my dr...

luv... jan/dakota

Wolfsong452 replied to dakotaspirit1957's response:
THANKS ALL!

Wolfsong452 replied to dakotaspirit1957's response:
going to talk to the doctor about it, but I've been thinking, I think I have some medicines that probably cause this to flare up.

though I do remember before meds. I was having sun issues. A slight sun burn, would make me feel feverish and achy that night and the next day

bette_kaffitz replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Wolfsong, do you get those printouts from the pharmacy with each refill? The meds that are know to make sun exposure worse usually have that listed with their other side effects.

The other choice is to go to the main WebMD site and list your medications. There will also be warnings of any drug interactions from taking multiple drugs.

If one of your meds is contributing to your sun sensitivity, it might be time to switch to a different drug. But NOT if it's one of your hard-found fibro drugs. (It is so hard to find something that actually works. Sitting in the shade is not too bad a trade off for some control of your pain and fatigue.

Bette

Wolfsong452 replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Bette_Kaffitz

you're right, I need to get down and look up the meds. they could be contributing to my sun sensitivity or at least making it worse.

I remember when I was younger I still had this same problem, but not to the degree that I have now.

Yep, got to tell the PCP, along with checking out the meds!

I knew that coming here and chatting about it, would help.

HURRAY!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.