Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anyone ever get spacey from chiropractic?
bette_kaffitz posted:
Just came in from a visit to a chiropractor. He was very gentle for this first visit, but by the time I was done, it was like SUPER-FOG. I had planned to do some grocery shopping, but couldn't remember a single item on the list.

I was actually scared driving home. I felt like I was in a bubble and the rest of the world was outside. I turned the radio up. I opened the car windows. (Until it started to rain.) Wierd!

Once I got home, it felt like I could go lay down and sleep for a month.
Of course, that didn't happen, but I still feel sleepy and out of it.

Any ideas about what is happening?

Bette

Anon_10089 responded:
I have experienced this, especially when I have had an adjustment of the very top of my neck. I was able to sleep and be okay the next day.

missist replied to Anon_10089's response:
I've had that happen when I got massaged at physical therapy-- woke up next day with very stiff neck, shoulders and numb arms. I don't know if you have cervical spine arthritis but it can be pretty touchy when worked on. I iced it and then relaxed and it cleared up. Been very careful about what I let anyone do in that area now.

bette_kaffitz replied to Anon_10089's response:
Thank you, Anon. That's pretty much where he focused today. The tingling in my hands seems to be a little better. Only time will tell.

Bette

bette_kaffitz replied to missist's response:
Mary,

Yup, cervical arthritis AND gout--very uncommon. Hopefully, this is a temporary problem. It would be great if the treatments worked.

Ice? Doesn't that make your muscles tense up and stay that way? Does for me. I've got to be very careful even for something that obviously needs ice, like a twisted ankle. Same thing for swimming in cooler water or even so-called relaxation techniques that ask you to tense a muscle then relax it. The tense part works, but the relaxation never comes!

Isn't it amazing how different our problems are--and how alike?
Sensitization. Sensitization. Sensitization. It gets us in so many different ways.

Hope Tuesday's a good day for all of us.

Bette

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
No, ice works on my neck usually--but I think that is because it isn't a fibro issue--its arthritis or deg. disc, so I get inflammation like crazy, or something-- it puffs up quite a bit. Ice sometimes takes the puff out of it. Otherwise I start dropping things more etc.

Hands are definitely connected to the neck thing.

missist responded:
Oh.. and yes, though I can ice my neck I cannot swim in cold water. I'm pretty peculiar I guess.

debrabrooks1960 responded:
I felt that way after a chiropractor adjusted my neck. I actually got sick to my stomach and started throwing up. I could not walk due to the dizziness. It was a scary feeling and I have not been back to a chiropractor since. I was okay by the next day, but I had a stiff neck and headache for a couple of days.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

bette_kaffitz replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
Thank you all for your input. Went back to the chiro today. He focused on the low back, and there were no ill effects.

He said that sometimes when you've been off-kilter--literally off balance because of a misalignment--it takes a while for your brain to readjust to the fact that you are actually holding your head straight up. The brain gets swamped with all kinds of conflicting messages about where you are in space. No wonder it doesn't want to think!

We'll have to see what happens next week when he goes back to the neck.

In the meantime, my hands are no longer tingling. My fingers are not numb. My arm muscles are not screaming if I lift an arm--even just to shoulder height. So the chiropractic is helping. Let's see if I can tolerate it. I'll keep you all posted.

Bette

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.