Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibromyalgia
BarbaraLD posted:
About 6 months ago my feet and lower legs started aching constantly. I also have lower back pain which I think is contributing to that. Does anyone have advice to help this problem.

dollbug responded:
Hello Barbara and welcome. MiMi in NC. You did not say what you have tried....but I did want to share what I found that has helped my lower back pain. I went to several doctors about this and none of them could point me in the right direction on what to do.

Anyway to make a long story short....I ended up trying P5P which is a processed form of Vitamin B 6. You have to get this at vitamin store....about $12 per bottle. I take one capsule every morning with breakfast. It keeps my lower back pain at bay. I also have *Morton's Toes*....you might want to *google this and read about it*. I am NOT saying that this will work for you but you might just want to try it to see.

I am one of the oldie goldies here and I now take vitamins and supplements that has allowed me to cope better with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM. I tried different medicines in the beginning but was not able to find anything which helped me without causing other side effects so I eventually did my own research and figured out what would help me. This does take a trial and error process....and what works for one may or may not work for another. You have to be the judge of this.

I hope you will check out the info under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and review the *member toolbox* too. I am sure you will find some good *tools* that perhaps you have not thought of trying.

I would also encourage you to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level, which is important to a lot of people these days. Low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

booch007 responded:
Good morning Barbara.

You didn't mention that you have FM? Though it is always possible that other issues pop up with the human body.

Your spine is the vessel for the nervous system and at the end there is like "the tail of a horse" many fibers that go down into the legs. so many can get entrapped in the back if a disc is out of allignment. Your symptoms can be from this. Did you see an Orthopedic? A chiropractor? Have any studies done?

There is a simple positioning thing you can do too. Lying on the floor flat. Tilt your pelvis upward to stretch the back muscles, bones and release some pressure in that area. I do this often, in fact I do it standing.

A pelvic tilt muight just help, done frequently you might relieve this. BUT youshould be seen and cleared that a bulge or damage to your disc's is not part of this.

Good luck, Nancy B

missist replied to dollbug's response:
I'm still playing with meds to find a good combo. I've been using celebrex which was awesome for pain for me--when added to nortriptiline and gabapentin (neurontin) also vitamins D& Bs--esp. B-1.

anyhow, i'm currently off my celebrex due to possible side effect that I'm not quite sure is celebrex.

My BEST pain help is that I got a hot tub and I use it daily to do stretches of my legs I cannot do otherwise. It doesn't take away all pain/problems but it makes me more flexible and is good for my mood too. We got a used one cheap and Hubby has been tweaking it and building new surround for it. He set a timer so it it heats up for morning and evening and is ready for me. I spend a good 20 min. in it in the morning warming my body, and getting it going--sipping coffee a bit--and doing a lot of good stretches.

Wanted that for years and found now I have it--that it truly is the tool I most needed.
Mary

missist replied to missist's response:
Also -- Look at your footware!!
I use only asic tennis shoes with an added arch support insole.

You may need something else--but definitely good shoes helps leg and back.

bette_kaffitz responded:
Barbara,

Mary's right about the shoes. If you're like most of us, when you were young and single, you crammed your feet into some pretty-looking but horrible-acting shoes. Remember the 4 inch heels with the pointy toes? What about the platform shoes that twisted your ankle everytime you stepped on anything thicker than a maple leaf?

If you've possibly gained a little weight over the years or survived a pregnancy or two, your feet are probably longer and wider than they once were. Instead of going to Walmart for your shoes, try going to a really good shoestore and having your feet measured by a professional. I go to a Spirit shoe store whenever I get to a big mall. I get my feet measured each time even though they have not changed recently. This former 7 1/2 medium gained a half size and one width with each pregnancy, so I am now an 8 1/2 double wide.

If your shoe store cannot fit you properly with shoes that feel good on and relieve those leg pains, it may be time to see a podiatrist. She can make special inserts for your shoes and help you enjoy walking.

You put enormous pressure on those tiny bones in your feet.
Try taking better care of them, and they'll take better care of you.

Bette

meg_k replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
I agree with much that's been said. Good shoes EVERY DAY no matter how ugly you think they are. (Move to MN where a lot of us "Mom-age" women wear clogs or birks every day! *smile*) Stretching and hot baths definitely!!!

I would add that I have bad calf and foot pain. I bought a personal massager and use it on my calves when it gets really bad -- though if my DH will rub them that is the best!

Also, a lot of running stores have these rollers that are meant for you to rub your muscles on. It's the shape of a big jelly roll and 2-3' long, made of foam. You put it on the floor and place your calf on it and rub it back and forth -- the roll goes back and forth on the floor and rubs out some of the trigger points in the muscle. I think that helps, too. They have similar gadgets for feet.

Good luck!!

meg_k replied to meg_k's response:
This is the type of product I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Molded-Roller-Round-Popular/dp/B000HLLREA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1379600913&sr=8-9&keywords=muscle roller running

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
460 of 535 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.