Skip to content
If you are having trouble getting your pain meds now
bette_kaffitz posted:
Do you have a problem getting your meds when need them? Is your doctor more reluctant to prescribe? Does your pharmacist have a hard time getting your prescription? New federal laws are limiting our access to opioids and especially the long-lasting versions we rely on to keep the dragon at bay.

If you want to change all of this, the person to tell is the Federal Drug Administration's CDER Ombudsman, Virginia Behr. Her phone number is 301-796-3436. Her e-mail address is: CDERombudsman@fda.hhs.gov
Let her know how the new regulations have impacted your life.

We in the north are truly worried about what will happen this winter. Doctors now have to wait a few days to write your scrip. Then you must pick it up at the doctor's office in person and take it to the pharmacy. By the time you get your meds it will be as much as six days later with a long weekend factored in. If you add a snow or ice storm to the mix, you will have legitimate patients suffering not only unnecessary pain but also withdrawl symptoms.

This is unacceptable. Let the FDA know how you feel. Let your senator and congressman know. Let's fix this now.

Bette

BarbaraLD responded:
Pain is number one on the list of untreated medical problems in this country. I'm sick and tired, literally, of all the "drug police" out there. This includes drs, pharmacists and anyone else who thinks we should suffer with FM and are abusing pain medication. We are not abusers , we are dependent on these medications to be able to function normally. If someone is in pain and wants to take medication for it then so what! No one wants to be on pain medication, this is not a life we choose to live. Do yourself a favor and don't tell anyone you take narcotics because unless they suffer from chronic pain they won't understand , period. Sad but true.

bette_kaffitz replied to BarbaraLD's response:
Barbara,

It was bad enough before, but new regulations are going into effect now that will make things much more difficult. Doctors and pharmacists are now regulated by the government (along with all those nasty insurance companies). Your scrip goes into a federal/state database. It checks out the last day you got your previous meds and any drug-related offenses you may have. It is checked all along the line with your doctor and your pharmacist each having to wait for a go-ahead before they can do their thing and deliver your legal, medically necessary prescription.

This is important to all of us who are in chronic pain. Who knows what her pain will be like next week or next year. Just because you may not need opioids now, does not mean you will never need them. At that time, you had better be willing to wait several days for your pain relief, because you certainly will not get any pills the day your doctor decides to prescribe them.

These drugs can make the difference between a life worth living and a living hell of unbearable pain. To put barriers between a patient and his treatment is unconscionable. To do this to even one patient who is in pain--in a futile attempt to keep drugs away from addicts--is a perversion of both the medical and justice systems of this country.

Bette

Wolfsong452 replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
oh great, never thought of this, makes me think that might be one of the reasons my pain management doctor is cutting back on my visits.

was going every 6 weeks, then 8 now, they said, PCP should be able to handle it.

PCP said at one time they couldn't or wouldn't do opiads!

bette_kaffitz replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Wolfsong,

Sounds like you will soon be between the infamous rock and hard place.

You'll have to decide whether to sit back and take it or start writing and calling the powers that be.

I sent my e-mails. I wrote and mailed my letters. Now, I'm searching for my senator's phone number. Unless you want the next few years of your life to go by without your pain meds to help things along, you should do the same.

And so should everyone in this country. Who knows when you or someone you love will suddenly require pain medication? Will that medication be available when it is so sorely needed? It won't if WE and all our friends and relations--and all THEIR friends and relations--don't tell our legislators that the new restrictions are NOT what the American people want. If a patient needs pain control, and his reputable doctor feels that this is medically necessary NOW, where does the government get the right to make the patient wait for that medication and its blessed relief?

I wish this whole thing could go "viral" on the internet so everyone would know how intrusive this change is--and how it could effect any or all of us.

Bette

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
How awful. My dear friend up in Wisconsin has a pretty bad case of lupus, she is african american, I don't know why but they do seem to get it worse, it killed her sister and she and her oldest daughter have it now. Anyhow-- her doctor makes her come in for a written RX every time she gets a refill and she must do this every 2 weeks as they will not give her more than 2 weeks a time. She says it makes her feel like a drug addict-which is awful. She's a lovely woman and the wife of a pastor. I know there are drug addicts--I bet they have less trouble getting RX meds though than actual sick people.

Still-- I'm a little glad they are being more careful, my mom had more than one dr and a lot of meds--we all worried it was too much and think it may have caused her death or contributed. I do know it matters--but there should be a better system or a way to 'qualify' as a person who has actual real pain. Hope they come up with it before I need stuff like that, so far I am still managing without any opioids.

I have several fibro folk on my prayer list due to not being able to get pain relief--seems to be one of the 3 common complaints-- frustration, pain & finances.

God bless folks, hope it gets better, Thanks Bette for Posting that I"m going to file it for future reference.
Mary

eaglefeather_34 replied to missist's response:
Hi everyone. My name is Batrina And i have fibromyalgia. Last Monday my doctor told me she is no longer going to give me my pain meds for this because she could be sued by me if anything was to happen to me. Ive been going to the pain institute for over a year and now i have no clue what im going to do. I'm terrified og the pain i know i'm going to be in and i have no clue where to go from here. I live in Burley idaho so if any of you have any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.

Anon_2912 responded:
I have always heard and read that opiates don't help FM patients.

dollbug replied to Anon_2912's response:
FM is a LONG TERM ILLNESS*****most pain pills are for short term health issues. I have also read that most doctors will NOT prescribe pain pills for people with FM due to this being the case. I guess most doctors do not want to give something to FMers who will only work for a very short time....MORE is not always better.

I can not even imagine what anyone would want to be on pain pills all the time to be able to function. I know for sure that my body would NOT benefit from this.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Anon_10089 replied to Anon_2912's response:
I take norco. It greatly helps me. I have tried other things. I have way fewer side effects from the norco. We are all different.

The minute my doctor doesn't prescribe it for me anymore I'm going the medical marijuana route. From what I've read, that has even fewer harmful side effects. Thankfully, I live where it is legal.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
375 of 402 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.