Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
NO TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT.
Wolfsong452 posted:
hurray!

well actually it's all up to me, I am concerned about taking the time off from work, though we do have short term disability.

I don't have a lot of pain in the knee that we're talking about. Most of the pain was from the other knee that had the scope done to it.

Still a bit sore, the grinding on grinding is scary sounding, but no pain.

once in awhile and REAL OUCH! having to ice it.

bad part of the icing, yeah, makes the swelling go down, but then my knee is stiff!

Ortho Doc, asked did I want an injection? I said, ok, why not, now you say why get an injection when that knee isn't in pain. There is SEVERE OA in that knee, but it's not hurting.

I've come to find out that sometimes I"m in pain, and not realize it, or don't know where it's coming from! So I'm big into this eliminating of things.

so, right knee done, scoped. Left knee injection. Left Shoulder torn rotator cuff, nothing can be done. Though if it gets worse, I think they can go in like the did on the right knee and scrap the OA out, or something like that. Can't repair the shoulder.

ok, now we're working on the left forearm, I've had swelling that has NOT gone down no matter what's been done to it. Some slight aching and pain, to where I just sit and hold my forearm.

All of this could happen when I haven't been doing a thing!

now, my left ankle is hurting, right at the point on the side of the foot. I banged it on something about 2 months ago, and have banged it a couple of times since then.

I'm blaming the problem to the weakness and the scope of the right knee.

left leg is doing a lot of the weight carrying.

so, making sure to do my PT.

going to give it a couple more months before I do something about it.
I told the Ortho doctor about it, but of course this was the time when it wasn't hurting ! So touching and pressing, didn't do a thing!

process of elimation that's what's going on!

bette_kaffitz responded:
Every little stressor you eliminate is one less signal going up the spinal cord to your brain and cascading into more out of control sensations throughout your body.

Chronic pain changes the way our brains work. There are supposed to be chemicals coming back down from brain and the spinal cord--chemicals that can help suppress your feeling of pain. That is no longer happening. At the same time, deep in your brain, there are more chemicals that excite pain centers. Normal people don't feel more and more and more pain from something that is not actually GETTING worse. We do.

No one knows exactly how this happens. We do know that it is possible to quiet these centers--at least a little bit--by taking away various stressors that are bombarding your brain with more pain-related signals. And every little bit helps.

At least we hope so!

Bette

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Well put Bette, as usual. Jan, well no surgery is nice, hope it is possible to put off a long while.

I think of all the pain stuff as 'layers' so when I get a little trick or tool to help I think of it as taking off a layer of pain.. so when you are down to just a couple, its very nice indeed.

Mary

Wolfsong452 replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
you said it Bette!

Wolfsong452 replied to missist's response:
thanks Mary!

dollbug responded:
Hello Sharon....having knee issues is not any fun. I am also going through this right now. But I also think that I do NOT want to do surgery either. So I am also going to get another Synvisc shot...this time it will be the 1 shot instead of 3 that I have had in the past. I only hope that this one will work. The PA says that sometimes it makes people's leg swell. I am not looking forward to this at all. But I sure need something that will help.

I think any time I have problems with my right knee the left knee also gives me problems as well. It is not a good thing to have bad knees...I have been dealing with this for 30 years now. It can get really OLD.

I sure hope things get better for you soon. Hang in there.

That's is all we can do....hope for the best.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

Wolfsong452 replied to dollbug's response:
thanks Dollbug,

well I tried climbing the stairs today at an apt building. Rough, but, I was able to do it.

best part, was being able to go down the stairs one after the other, I normally had to take it one step at a time. Take one step, then let the other foot step down on the same step.

that being able to go one after the other was exciting!

no knee locking it, hurray!

bette_kaffitz replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Wolfsong,

One more victory! Try not to overdo. A little of something new is good. A lot can set you back. Be judicious.

And horay for the knees!

Bette

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.