Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibro relief options
eveysacredheart posted:
Hi, I just created my account because I was looking at a post about epidural injections. I was getting all confused so I figured I should just ask. I'm 18, I was diagnosed with fibro in November 2008, and my doctor said I had been born with it. I'm going through my second really big setback caused by my disability , I've been dealing with a pain clinic in Edmonton, but I'm on a long waiting list and I'm basically running out of options. I smoke marijuana and take Percocet for my symptoms and chronic migraines. Lately I've been finding Percocet too much, I can't get things done if I take it. I tried tramacet and I'm going to ask my doctor for a refill for it next week, it's not as debilitating medicating. I've been having such bad pain that I've been debating going into the er to ask for medication because I don't know how to manage it at this time. Can anyone offer my some suggestions?

bette_kaffitz responded:
It sounds like you have learned a valuable lesson: It is possible to take so much pain medication that you cannot function but STILL be in plenty of pain.

There will probably be days (or even weeks) when you need a strong painkiller to get through the worst of things, but medications are not the only answer.

Get to the library and find some books on relaxation, meditation, and pain modification. Give some of these techniques a try. I bet you will find some that fit your lifestyle and can ease the most troubling part of your pain.

Do the 2 times a day bath/shower thing (but try not to float or get stuck in the tub like some of us did).

Develop a good working relationship with your doctor. If you are willing to ask to be taken off a powerful painkiller now when you would rather be off it, your doctor will be more apt to believe you if, at some future date, you do need opioid painkillers. One way you can develop that trust is to stop using the marijuana unless it is legal in your area and your doctor prescribes it for you. Trust is a two-way street.

I know that when I was 18 I would not have had the wisdom and the courage to stop taking Percocet while I was still in pain. You are one strong young woman.

Ask you doctor if there is something you can use to ease the withdrawl from that Percocet. I was okay lowering my oxycontin doses, but had a hard time when I went from 10 mg. a day to none. The sleep medication Ambien allowed me to get through the nights with a lot less of the body jerks and spasms that plagued me when I'd go to lay down in bed.

Getting off a powerful drug takes a powerful woman. But your doctor can help you with a milder, temporary medicine. It's not being cowardly. It's being smart. Like you.

Bette

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
was almost thru and my mouse hit cancel... or i sent a post i wasn't done with... we shall see... but i will try this again...

hi and welcome to our family... you are searching for some things you might find to the right of this under "helpful hints"... where the members here posted things that help them... it's our toolbox... it is good reading... to be honest i read it lots... i believe in consistency... i constantly am looking for fresh and refreshed ideas...

my greatest help beyond my opiates... which one is taken 3 times daily and the other is for break thru pain... my greatest help is self hypnosis and imagery/meditation...

i can type this to you... carry on a conversation... watch my grandchildren {who think they are the sneaky ones lol}... answer doors and phones... etc... while hypnotizing pain away... about the only peace and relief i have found thru my pain is at these times...

i also take time for me and use imagery/meditation... to me both being one... {not always for others... some feel they are different...} i take myself out of this world into my private world...

fishing on a quiet lake... it's raining... {i love rain}... ripples are flowing in the water before me... oops i caught a fish... bringing me back to reality for a moment as i respond to real life... but the ripples have already found it's way into my peaceful soul... even though i know the pain is still here i can accept it and deal with it better...

to be honest with you i wake to pain everyday and ask God why i woke up... i then thank Him for a new day... accepting myself and the world inside me... "acceptance" of myself moment by moment is what gives me the spirit and life i share with you... and that is the purpose that i have found in my life... to know myself... love myself... and share and reach out to others...

i hope this gives you something to help... i could go on forever about how taking myself to a special world helps me...
take care... love... jan/dakota

meg_k replied to dakotaspirit1957's response:
Have you tried Cymbalta, Savella, or Lyrica? Sorry, I'm not sure if these have the same brand names or are even available in Canada. Non-narcotic, FM-specific pain relief.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.