Skip to content
Is it Fibromyalgia or not?
MsTehrim posted:
Doctor diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia.
But after studying symptoms of the studies, I could see only a few symptoms common in my case and Fibromyalgia.
I never had any headache, or pain round the body, trouble sleeping & concentrating.
My symptoms are just feeling fatigue, dull or achy sole specially as the day ends, pain in knees, also feel as my legs from knee to sole got weakened, can't stand for than 10 minutes otherwise it starts aching. I have been suffering from the disease for more than 11 months since then under treatment, at start the symptoms were mild but from last four months, the symptoms increased from mild to moderate. Even sometimes pain increase although medications and all necessary measures have been taken properly.
Can it be fibromyalgia ?

MsTehrim responded:
Test Report for Rh Arthritis was negative.
Vit D was low for which medications were done.
Blood quantity was also low.

dollbug replied to MsTehrim's response:
Hello Ms Tehrim and welcome.....I am assuming that the doctor did test to rule out other illnesses that this might be. Is this correct? Chronic fatigue and FM sometimes go hand in hand for some people. Did the doctor also check your *pressure points* for pain? This is a very ugly and mean illness and we can all have different symptoms, which makes it really hard for doctors to know what is going on with us and how to treat us accordingly. There is a lot of good info here so be sure and check out the *tips* and *resources* and review the *member toolbox* as well.

Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more might help you. Drinking lots of water and getting enough sleep can also help. Watching what we eat and doing gentle stretches and/or exercises is also good. We, FMers, must continue to move, regardless of how we feel...so that our muscles will not get stiff.

You did not say just how low your Vitamin D was but I am assuming that you are now taking supplements for this. Sometimes it is hard for us to get our Vitamin D level back to within the *normal range and keep it there*....you can also find some good links here about just how important Vitamin D is also. Read up on these as well.

I do not think everyone has the *same symptoms or all of them*....there are quite a few. But I do know that the *pressure points* are important in determining if a person does have FM.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

You know this FM/Chonic Myofascial Pain is a tricky devil.
For the longest time I had just hand complaints and what I felt was a bad neck. This is still my nemesis, but it also has touched many other places now and again.

It is always wise to get a second opinion. Many will put you in the FM pot to quiet you down to give you a label for therapy to begin and hope you feel better. We are a frustrating crowd for a physician.

Get a second opinion from a rheumatologist, bring all your records so he doesn't repeat labs and cost you more. I use neurology as I am in the Chronic Myofascial Pain arena. I don't have fog...I do have sleep issues from trigger points that make me turn and I use a memory foam mattress to help with that.

The fatigue and issues with the legs in the evening can be a few things. I don't know your weight but by days end the knees might have just had it carrying you around. . If I am in bad shoes I am out of luck for movement by nightfall.

Also if I have trigger points to the hip muscles it then gets the rest of the leg muscles involved and walking is challenging. I use my meds to get by. But you need to get a good answer and diagnosis. So see more doctors.....I saw 9 to get my true answers. I am SURE my diagnosis is right. I am also so much better today then I was 13 years ago. I don't dwell on this is for life....I just go a day at a time.

Does motrin or antiinflamatories (meloxicam, celebrex) help you? Is the circulation in your legs OK? That can make them heavy by nightfall from varicose veins (even unseen ones) and how about that achilles tendon and plantar fasciitis...the heel pain we all hate....it can affect all of the lower leg with that pain. Unable to get up and walk after stopping and sitting. See I always have more questions when something is presented....

Go speak to another MD and see what he thinks. Don't bring the answers of this doctor....just the lab result (so you don't taint the pool) Let him think for himself.

I saw many physcians in GI for my IBS diagnosis and many meds were prescribed....the answer....a Naturopath I saw who listened....I have GLUTEN ENTEROPATHY...brand new me!

I was so mad at all the MD's I saw who never even thought of it. Mad at myself that I didn't see it either! So like I said ...keep questioning and get what is true for you. YOU will know.

If three or 4 say it is FM, the surrender and get educated in this problem so you have tools to be better. Good luck.

Nancy B

mnjeepguy responded:
From what I have learned Fibro is a series of symptoms. Symptoms that do not identify any specific cause. The Drs eliminate the possible causes of our symptoms then when no obvious ones arise, Fibro is suspected.

No 2 sufferers are dealing with exactly the same ones either. Nancy is right on the second opinion. I have had 2 and both suggested Fibro, and treated for it without actually saying it is what I have for sure.

It is common to have symptoms get better or worse depending on environmental conditions, stress, diet, and other things in our lives. For some they come and go, others they never go away but swing up and down in severity.

Pressure points are the most common diagnosing method, but if a person has enough symptoms with no underlying cause, it is fairly likely to be diagnoses as fibro.

You're in the right place for finding ways to deal with this.

missist replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Just want to add, you are 'early' in the process that is fibromyalgia. When I was in my first year I only had shoulder problems. By 3 years when I was finally diagnosed I had pain all over. So- maybe you will beat that--by being dx'd early, or maybe not. Hope it is not so bad for you. Also-- keep in contact with the dr, if anything changes you need to always be checking to see if that is the only diagnosis. Many of us have more than one chronic problem.
Mary

MsTehrim replied to dollbug's response:
Yes, Dr. did the test to see if Rh Arthritis.
Dr. didn't checked pressure points, he just checks my knees every time I visit.
I keep a check on my diet, drinking enough water.
Vit D level was 6.65 when checked first, then after taking injections and tablets, it reached to 42.

MsTehrim replied to booch007's response:
Thanks alot for your kind concern.
My weight is 128 lbs with height 5'1".
Antiinflamatory was prescribed for me but my current prescription does not include it.

MsTehrim replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Thanks a lot for your kind concern.
I will definitely have second opinion.

MsTehrim replied to missist's response:
Thanks for showing concern.

dollbug replied to MsTehrim's response:
Hello again Ms Tehrim....MiMi in NC. So what kind of *injections* did you get for Vitamin D level? I do know that some people have a very hard time in trying to get their levels back to within the normal levels and keep it there. I know that I certainly did. Actually I do not think I would have gotten my up had I not researched this myself to learn more about it.

It took me over a year before I was able to get my level to within the very low level of what is considered *normal*....but of course, the normal level can vary just depending upon where you are reading about it. I have read the 30-70 is the range and other places 40-80. I do know mine got to 42 and the doctor told me that if was in the very low range at this.

I am sure things will soon get better for you as you learn more about how to deal with the wrath of the dragon, aka FM.

It does take time and effort to figure out just what will help you cope better....so hang in there.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to MsTehrim's response:
kind of sounds like dr may have jumped the gun.
If I were you I would get a 2nd opinion--he should have done a tender point exam--before dxing fibro for certain.

Also--no matter what you weigh-- if you have achy legs/knees etc.

Get some very good supportive shoes. I wear asics with an insert arch support. That can sometimes be just what you need.

In fibro--you've got a big moving target--so you need to attack with a shot gun. Every little tweak you make to improve things will either work some or not.

If not--toss it. If it does help--it will likely only help a 'layer' of your problems. You end up combining lots of different tools to get as many layers of pain, fatigue, cognitive issues, and gi issues etc-- to calm down as possible.

Eventually you hit upon a combination of tools that works really well for you and you have a better life.

Best to you, will be praying for you!
Mary

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.