Skip to content
When 1st diagnosed
nosinbor posted:
The word Chronic haunts me! Was hoping there would be a cure!

dollbug responded:
Hello nosinbor and welcome. The wrath of the dragon, aka FM....is a very ugly and mean illness to deal with. There are many *tools* that you can use though that might just help you cope better. Everything is a process though and you have to figure out just what might work for you.

There is a lot of research going on and perhaps one day someone will find a *cure* for it.....until this happens though we just have to find ways to cope with it. It is what it is for now.

I do hope you will check out the info under *tips* and *resources* and be sure and review the *member toolbox*.

One last thing....have you gotten your Vitamin D level checked? If not, please speak to your doctor as soon as you can about having it checked....low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

bette_kaffitz responded:
Nosinbor,

Yes fibro is a chronic condition. But it is not life-threatening. On its own, it is not crippling--although it makes other conditions like arthritis worse. You will have times of fibrofog, but it is NOT a form of dementia. You will have to slow down a bit, but you can still walk.

Please try to find all the blessings in your life and dwell on them. It is so easy to get lost in the immensity of fibromyalgia. It is one more thing you have to deal with in your life. But, as we all know, there will always be another reason to switch to plan B (or C or D or even Z). This is true for everyone, not just those with a chronic disease.

Try a new tip from the list here every week. Continue with the ones that help, and dump the others. Hey, consider it a game
called Stump the Dragon.

You can have a full, happy life--even with a chronic illness.

Bette

meg_k replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
I am working on trying to give up anger at having a chronic illness, and let go of perpetually hoping for a cure because as of today there is none. That is hard to give up.

Instead, I try to focus every day on what I still CAN do and enjoy the heck out of it.

bette_kaffitz replied to meg_k's response:
Meg, you're on the way to a type of recovery right now. Anger and resentment just make your fibro worse. Acceptance and a little serenity (borrowed from A.A.) are the only attitude to have.

But keep up with the research, too. Some fine day, there will be a definitive treatment. Hey, I can believe in a vaccine to prevent fibromyalgia. (But then there will still be parents who "don't believe in vaccines. So the illness will still be with us like whooping cough.)

Until that day,

Bette

meg_k replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Thanks for the support Bette! It's a battle every day, but I'm getting there.

I, too, believe there is a cure on the horizon. Whether the horizon is 2 years or 10 years out, I can't tell. But I know it will happen some day.

booch007 responded:
Oh I know...I have had boxing gloves on for about 15 years saying this is NOT staying and I am going to figure it out and fix me!

Well, it now the year of accepting that my energy fighting it can be used to LIVE with it!

I have learned this year to "dance with this dragon" and not poke him in the eye everyday. I live a groundhog life...as the day goes forward I get better, I squeek out a day and then i revert back and have to start over again the next day.

I can even take a nap...feeling pretty good, only to wake up a mess and stiff in pain and have to start the mantra of stretch etc all over again!

Chronic is as chonic does. It fosters itself. The chemical changes from constant being out of allignment chemically foster the continued being out of allignment. Shame.

Too complex for the scientists at this time. Hoping the future brings us something. THEY ARE working on it with vengence.
I promise you that help is coming....

Take care, Nancy B

bette_kaffitz replied to booch007's response:
Nancy,

About that anger. I know that there was no "official" name for fibromyalgia until 1990, but I resent with every one of my aching muscle fibers the years from 1972-1990 when there were no answers and no treatments for my pain.

Yes, a kind doctor had run a "spine series" of X-rays and found that my spine was "30 years older" than I was. But Dr. Dan had nothing to offer me except aspirin (for which I was supposed to set an alarm clock for my middle of the night dose--as if I was actually asleep.)

Then naprosin came on the market. I took it instead of aspirin (and got a lovely ulcer to prove it). Then there was the combination of tricyclics and flexeril. I was a zombie with them--until I couldn't empty my bladder (that woke me up!)

I was the first patient in the office to take Lyrica. (Again with the bladder! Ouch!) After they catheterized me in the E.R. I went home and refused to take any more of Phizer's wonder cure for fibro.

As each new treatment came along, I was willing to try it. I still am. But it makes me very, very angry that companies can tout "treatments" that help as few as 16 2/3 % of patients as being some new breakthrough. What about the 83 1/3 % for whom there is no change? Talk about them in your ads, too, BigPharm.

It's great that there are meds now on the market that can help some of us. Maybe by chipping away at our numbers with one drug here and another drug there that offers some relief, we'll finally ALL find our treatments, but it seems to be a long time coming--at least from where I sit.

There are A LOT of us out there in the world. Imagine the breakthrough a sure-fire treatment for fibro would be. After all, fibromyalgia is practically the poster child for chronic pain. If you are in enough pain for long enough, you will probably get fibro. A safe, cure all treatment for fibro would be a gateway towards the treatment of ALL pain. And BigPharm has finally figured this out. We'll find better treatments every few years now--at least until THE treatment is found.

Bette

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.