Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
bone islands and osteophytes
Crystal9902 posted:
hi everyone,

I haven't been on in awhile, I broke my wrist so typing is super slow! I was taking Colby (black lab/bloodhound, 1yr old) down the back steps and she saw a rabbit need I say more, lol. anyway I have been having lower back and hip pain, but since we have fibromyalgia it is difficult to know what exactly causing the pain. so my doc at the va hospital (I broke my pelvic bone in usmc in 1996) took some xrays and I have 2 bone islands and osteophytes on my hip bones. some websites say bone islands are ok and just a normal part of bone changes, others say get them checked bc they could actually be something else. I told my hand surgeon about the xrays and he said they are nothing to worry about, but my hips and lower back ache terribly. anyone had any experiences/advice for me? thank ya'll so much for being there and all the support and help!!

dollbug responded:
OMG****so sorry about your accident. MiMi in NC. I am assuming that Colby is a BIG boy? I know that there is no way that I can *walk* the Big Boy that stays here. He belongs to my younger son but stays with us. There were 2 until a while back when one of them died. It was a very quick death...we think he might have been bite by something although there was no swelling.

Anyway, I sure hope you will recover soon. I have to ask you did your doctor tell you to take Vitamin B 6? My sister in law broke her radius and she had to have surgery and he told her to make sure she took Vitamin B 6. Now I will also tell you this that I fell outside and broke both of mine on different occasions and the surgeon never mention a word about me taking Vitamin B 6.

I have sent though found that taking P5P which is a processed form of Vitamin B 6 has made a BIG difference in my lower back pain. I went to several doctors about it and not one of them could help me....said they did NOT have a clue what might be causing it. And then my daughter watched a local doctor speak about Morton's Toe...and just how some people are unable to process Vitamin B 6. My DD called me and told me that she thought I needed to try it. I did my own research about it and then talked to the vitamin sales person about it. He told me that IF it was going to help me it would do so before I took up the bottle of it. (60 capsules, I think) After about 2 weeks, my lower back pain vanished. I was SHOCKED....as I had this pain for going on 2 years.

I have now been on this since March and I will probably be on it the rest of my life. I can now miss one dose of it and my back pain returns. I have no idea what exactly it does but it sure works for me.

I hope you will soon find something that will help you cope better.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

missist replied to dollbug's response:
Hi--so glad you guys talked about dog walking. I have 2 dogs a big 100 pounder and a chihuahua. I'd love to walk them but it is just too difficult. So I am going to be doing my walking alone this fall, I need the exercise but not that danger/stress.

Another thing I just wanted to mention--I have a bone island on one of my knees. I think it has to do with when you are growing as a child a period when bone was forming where perhaps there was something not optimum. I thought perhaps it was becuase I was often anemic and ill as a child and also had a broken leg. I know I have one hip that is bigger than the other one as well.

It is my understanding that these are not dangerous and are pretty easily 'read' by the radiologists. Just saying that so you do not need to worry about it.

Osteophytes are osteo arthritis 'growth' on the edges of bones generally, also called bone spurs. I think my understanding is that almost everyone gets osteo arthritis at some time, as they age. I think some people aren't even bothered by it. I don't know if it is due to fibro--but my OA definitely does bother me. I think it is possibly worse in my family? Several people have had surgeries to correct bone issues, and new knees/hips.

If you get to needing a new hip-- I think you'll know. fibro can cause a lot of pain--but I think a hip that is bone on bone--will hurt more--maybe--I'll have to let you know for sure if I ever get to that point.

The doctors can tell you a lot, so don't be too worried.
mary

bette_kaffitz replied to missist's response:
Mary,

Hips that need replacing DO hurt a lot. So do hips that were replaced by screwing the top half into air instead of bone. My left hip was new in 2005 and revised in 2010. The first surgery never felt right, but what do I know. I debated the revision for a long time (I got C-diff the first time. Here the 62 year old woman is with a 2 day old hip and 20 trips to the bathroom a day.)

But the revision was wonderful--different doc, different hospital, different p.t.'s. And no C-diff. If I walk too far, the hip starts to hurt, but it is secure--not sliding around.

If the time comes for you, go to the nearest hospital with a good aftercare record and find a doc who does a lot of them.

Bette

missist replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Bette that sounds awful. Glad the new one is better. reminded me of my mom she broke her shoulder and ankle on the same side & had really bad colitis problems about the same time. yikes.

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.