Skip to content
Burning nerve pain
astueckradt posted:
I've had pain that feels like the nerve endings are burning for over a year now but today it has gotten out of control. I was literally sobbing and I have a very high pain tolerance. Any recommendations? Heat? Ice?

I'm still trying to accept my FM....this is not helping my attitude.

franr responded:
Dear Astueckradt

So sorry you had to join our unique club of fibroettes.You did not say were this burning was affecting you. Its it hands and feet or generally all over? If it is affecting you in one area on the body it maybe related to another problem or it could be caused by fibro .You need to speak with your doctor. There are test that they can run to see if the burning is being caused by a a certain illness .I hope you are seeing a Neurologists for this problem .I also had burning ,stabbing pains in my back radiating around under my breastsbone. So I know what you are going through. Try some moist heat or a warm soak in the tub. But please check with your MD and keep us posted. Hugs....Fran R

bette_kaffitz responded:
Astueckradt,

You're right about the burning sensations being a sign of nerve pain. Showers, baths, and heating pads may help. On the other hand, for some of us, cold packs help. It's trial and error. On top of this (extremely scientific, of course) observation, let me tell you that what helps today may not help next week or next year. Your fibro body is in revolt over all the ways its signals are so horribly messed up. As long as the signals are kafluey, so will your sensations of pain.

And yes, you should be seeing a neurologist. First, because your pain is probably caused by sensitized nerve endings, and second, because fibromyalgia seems to be a malfunction of the nervous system--not the muscles and bones, which are just where a lot of our pain manifests itself.

It is a hard thing to accept, but you will come to terms with this disease. Things will get better. There will still going to be bad days, but you will handle them better.

None of us ASKED to have fibromyalgia. None of us would wish it on YOU. All of us are in this together. We help each other. That's how it works. A little compassion goes a long way. Especially here.

Bette

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

Sharing my story, when I get nerve pain symptoms I treat the surrounding muscles. Using heat is my answer. sometime just movement gets it better and then I also use trigger point
injections by my neurologist.

If you have other medical conditions it can be from that too and you may need to start neurontin Rx for help. get to a neurologist and see what comes out of that. It is always, try to fix it yourself with non medical tools and then go to the Rx wait and see how that is.

Pain takes your day away and then before you know it the year and life is gone...you become small in the world because pain has held you back.

We want you out there and living!! Not everyone is to be BIG, but be out there in amoung your friends and people. I know when I have neurogenic pain I am qiuet and still...then I get motivated to try tools to fix it.

Good luck..this is fixable. Nancy B

astueckradt replied to franr's response:
Thank you....the burning is usually on the right side of my back from my shoulder and about 2/3 of the way down my back. Last week it went down my arm. It also started bothering my left leg kind of generating generating from my ankle up about six inches. I haven't seen a neurologist yet but probably need to. . Thanks again! Adonna

astueckradt replied to bette_kaffitz's response:
Thank you so much! I am so glad I found this community!!! What a wonderful group of people.

astueckradt replied to booch007's response:
Thank you!! Great info...and so interesting. My family doctor gave me neurontin last year and I felt "ok" until about six months ago. Of course I can't remember her explanation of what the different meds were to do for me. Anyway...pain became unmanageable and she changed meds including the neurontin. Maybe that was a keeper. Guess I need to get back to journaling so I can remember everything I've tried. Although it sounds like every day is a roll of the dice. Thanks again! Adonna

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.